The Great Hunt: Help for those thinking about self-employment

Options
Former_MSE_Darryl
Former_MSE_Darryl Posts: 210 Forumite
edited 25 July 2014 at 11:31AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
img-horiz-ironing.png

Many people dream of packing in the day job and working for themselves, but not as many make a success of it. If you've done it, what tips or warnings do you have? From dealing with tax to staying motivated, we want to tap into freelance MoneySavers' collective wisdom.

Click 'reply' below to share your tips. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide..

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• caressamba
    caressamba Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hoping to do this next year but it's really scary! I would potentially be walking away from over 30k in salary which feels foolish (hence not doing it before), but it's probable my job will come to an end in May. I'm particularly worried about working out how much to pay myself and how to do it. The industry I would be going into (photography, mainly weddings) would be seasonal (though I intend to do other types of photography which will be all year round). Additionally, people tend to pay by deposit and then balance payments, which can often be 2 years apart, and then there are fixed costs to come out of the total amount e.g. albums - I really struggle with working out how to pay myself with this system!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the same :)
  • deadrobot
    deadrobot Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    caressamba wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do this next year but it's really scary! I would potentially be walking away from over 30k in salary which feels foolish (hence not doing it before), but it's probable my job will come to an end in May. I'm particularly worried about working out how much to pay myself and how to do it. The industry I would be going into (photography, mainly weddings) would be seasonal (though I intend to do other types of photography which will be all year round). Additionally, people tend to pay by deposit and then balance payments, which can often be 2 years apart, and then there are fixed costs to come out of the total amount e.g. albums - I really struggle with working out how to pay myself with this system!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the same :)

I work full time (in the NHS) and am a self employed part time photographer too. If I were you I would dive right into the photography business right now to get your feet wet before your job ends. I would say it would be really hard to earn £30k from your first year of photography in business, but not impossible. Do as much as you can before your job ends to see how viable your business can be. I recommend reading as much as you can about photography business and pricing to prepare yourself for how much you need to charge to make yourself profitable.

Couple of websites I recommend reading through are:
    http://www.profitfirstphotography.com/about/
    http://www.themoderntog.com/
    http://photographyconcentrate.com/

Hope that helps!
  • caressamba
    caressamba Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    deadrobot wrote: »
    I work full time (in the NHS) and am a self employed part time photographer too. If I were you I would dive right into the photography business right now to get your feet wet before your job ends. I would say it would be really hard to earn £30k from your first year of photography in business, but not impossible. Do as much as you can before your job ends to see how viable your business can be. I recommend reading as much as you can about photography business and pricing to prepare yourself for how much you need to charge to make yourself profitable.

Couple of websites I recommend reading through are:
    http://www.profitfirstphotography.com/about/
    http://www.themoderntog.com/
    http://photographyconcentrate.com/

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I actually have been doing it for three years already, to learn the industry and get to a professional standard. I'm doing about 7 or 8 weddings a year at the moment plus various assisting jobs and other types of photography. Just looking to take the plunge and preparing myself for an enormous paycut! :rotfl:

I'll take a look at those websites, thank you for that.
  • Shotan
    Shotan Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Start now alongside your existing job. This is a period when you have financial support and only pressure of time, so use it while you can.

Make all your mistakes during this time and learn from them.
    Research the market and research it again. Too many freelancers have a great idea (sic!) only to find that the market doesn't exist or that it's not viable over a year of seasons.
    Be ever alert to opportunities - think laterally. If weddings are limited to a season then look elsewhere to maintain the work flow.
    Bands, performers, models, clubs, wrestlers, web designers etc all need photographers. The list is endless once you start brain storming and expand your thinking.

Get organised from day one so that your main focus can be on building your portfolio and doing the work. The last thing you need is to be scrambling around at 7am for the address of that day's wedding!!!

How much to charge?
    Decide on a weekly income and divide that week by hours you'll work = your hourly rate. Don't forget to add in your costs - travel, fuel, time waiting etc.

Build a portfolio. That may mean working for free or at reduced rates, without that showcase you will struggle so see the freebies as an investment.

Get a professional website - NOT a freebie, NOT built by a friend of a friend's nephew, this is serious, not a hobby. Get that website seen EVERYHERE - local listings, directories, trade listings, social media, on a card in Tescos! The greatest website on earth is useless if nobody sees it.

Ask for help and advice.
    Don't be shy. This forum is a perfect example of how connect with others, to avoid pitfalls and learn. Join other forums (Linkedin etc)

Good photographers are gold dust and the demand is there so go ahead, jump in, once you're used to the new environment you'll NEVER want to go back to 9-5. I know; I was a well paid teacher for 25 years but now I run my own web and graphic design business. I'm certainly not rich by any means. Do I struggle? Yes sometimes but do I love it? A very big "Oh Yes".
    Good luck Paul artworks-unlimited
  • colsaldo
    colsaldo Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    My best advice would be about doing your tax return. As soon as you register as self assessed with Hmrc they will expect a return from you for the year in question - even if you don't actually start your business or feel you have nothing to report. So many people register for self assessment and since they don't do any self employed work, they don't think they need to submit their returns. How do Hmrc know they've not done any work though? Ignoring the reminders and being even a day late with returns will cost you a £100 penalty. And if you're 6 months late penalties can rise to a whopping £1400! And, as martin has pointed out on his website, make sure you put money aside for any tax owed. You get up to 9 months extra to pay your first year's tax, so it's easily put to one side. But you'll pay interest on anything outstanding after the due date and possibly penalties for paying late.

One last thing, and it catches lots of people out. Once the tax due for a year exceeds £1000, Hmrc asks for payments towards your tax 'in year'. They take the previous years tax, divide by two, and charge them as payments on account(POA ) on the 31st of Jan and July. (so if you owe £2000 for 13/14, you need to pay that amount PLUS a POA of £1000 on the 31st of Jan 2015 and a second POA of £1000 on July 31st 2015. It catches lots of folk out so beware!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Receipts: they are vital for a) claiming against allowable expenses and b) proving you spent the money.

Keep a file for your receipts starting immediately, and either write them down in a book or on-line draft, or write on the receipt itself what it's for. Or both.

You'll be amazed how quickly it mounts up - petrol, parking, supplies, phone calls, customer meals / teas bought etc etc etc.

Keep each tax-year separate.

If you must chuck them in a carrier bag (bad idea!), then at the very least, start a new bag each April 6th. And LABEL the bags clearly!

It gets very confusing if you only file in January for the previous tax tear which ended in April, giving you a year and nine months you need to hang on to your receipts ready for filing by that January 31st deadline.

And last but not least, once you've filed your tax return, you need to keep your receipts safely filed away with your tax return - if filing online, best to keep a printout with a note of your HMRC submission receipt number, the very long one. You need to keep your completed return and receipts for at least a couple of years:

from HMRC website: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/record-keeping.htm#3

How long to keep your records
    You must normally keep your records for another year after the online tax return deadline of 31 January, in case HMRC decides to check your return. The same date applies even if you've sent in a paper tax return.
    An example
    The tax return deadline for an online 2013-14 return is 31 January 2015.
    You send your tax return in before this deadline.
    You need to keep your records until 31 January 2016, one year later.
    But if HMRC send you, or you send back your tax return very late, you may need to keep your records for longer. You need to keep them until the later of:
    one year after the 31 January tax return deadline
    fifteen months after the date you send your tax return
    If HMRC has started a check
    You may need to keep your records for longer if HMRC has started a check into your tax return. In this case you'll need to keep your records until HMRC writes and tells you they've finished the check.
  • Skulldog22
    Options
    I was made redundant at the end of May from working for the police after 19yrs, I already had my business running alongside my job prior to me leaving which I would deffo recommend doing as you'll already be established, just ensure you are allowed to do this at work first! Its great not being at work & commuting every day but its sooo hard that first month when you have no big wage coming in...its very daunting & did my head in a bit at first. I'm an artist by the way...I made sure I had a website before I left work and one that you can update yourself (I used Moonfruit..if I can do one then anyone can!!!). Get some flyers, business cards etc and maybe think about doing a local wedding fayre..if you tell people that you are just going into business they may give you a discount for the trade stand. Advertise locally and get your work out there asap before you leave your job. I carry flyers around wherever I go..you'd be surprised where I've pinned them up :) Have a look at your competition too and see if theres a niche you can get into...something that stands out from the rest...pets & kids are good too for photographers...you have to think outside the box sometimes. I'm still learning...its been hard work and stressy as you don't have the security of your wage but as far as being happier...I'm 110% happier..I don't ever want to work for anyone again..not after being in the public sector with all its...hmm...politics!!! You do work longer hours but you're at home...you don't have to get dressed...which is a bonus in itself haha. Network as much as you can...get a Facebook business page, get on Twitter, Instagram etc...I hate all that but you really need it...I've got lots of work & interest from these sites...keep them updated every day...its all about getting your work noticed. Get some exhibited in local shops/bars etc where they exhibit local artists work...
    Hope this helps...good luck Skulldog.co.uk
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are three critical things in business.

1. Getting the work
    2. Doing the work
    3. Getting paid for the work.

If you fail on just one of these, your business will simply fail.

You need to be focused on what you do. Don't dabble in things which you don't know about or are not confident. If you don't know something or can't do something, tell your client. They will admire your honesty and it saves the relationship turning sour.

Think carefully about how you market yourself. I used to 'advertise' in the true sense of the word in the local papers when I started in business 13 years ago. I always got work from it. I last advertised in this way last year and got zero response. Now I don't use 'hard' advertising at all. I have a website, which is optimised and I have an enhanced listing in yell.com. Both bring in regular clients. I now use2 main ways of generating new business. The first is social media (facebook, linkedin, pinterest. I find twitter of no value in my industry). Facebook is by far the biggest developer of new leads. I attended a course on facebook marketing 2 years ago and last year could attribute just on £15k of work from it. But you have to do it well and keep at it. It takes time and is a slow burn. The second way is networking groups. Again it takes time, but worth it. Remember: people buy from people. Use every networking event as an opportunity to get to know your potential clients. Don't sell anything but use the events to allow people to gain confidence in you. Again, its a slow burn, but it will lead into things.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • allusernamesgone
    Options
    If you earn less than (apx £16k?) and work 30 hours or more a week in the business, you can claim working tax credits. Everything you do in setting up and starting (planning, organising, admin, travelling, training, reading-up etc) counts as 'work' - an important point about s/e generally! - this was a tip from govt sponsored business mentor when I was getting going. Yes, bit of a faff, and hopefully it would be just a temporary measure, and oddly counts as 'on benefits' for some other situations, whereas s/e are usually excluded from 'benefits' generally. I had to make special effort as WTC people ask for income of the previous tax-year, when I had a £40k salary, so had to set out CURRENT active status, on separate sheet - did get it. It is part of HMRC so will cross-check with tax side of things I assume.
  • spudsy
    Options
    I work as a self employed bookkeeper and have helped set up new businesses, sorted out tax, business plans etc. Just a few points for anyone looking at setting up as self employed
    Register as self employed with in 3 months of starting to trade or you will get a £100 penalty
    Register again via the HMRC website to file your tax return (daft but you have to)
    Get a good Accountant / Bookkeeper (like myself) before you start get some free advice. I work self employed as well as offering financial advice so I know what I'm talking about.
    Keep all your receipts (even ones your not sure about better to have too many or miss one). If you don't have receipts keep a note of what you've spent. Don't forget to keep a note of mileage for business use even nipping to the bank.
    Check with your Bookkeeper what you can and can not claim for its crucial so you don't pay too much tax or end up not paying enough and get a fine.
    Besides all that enjoy being self employed there are a lot of benefits to it the tax side can be sorted very easily with a bit of help. Private message me if you need personal advice I'm happy to give free advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure