Great 'Summer Party' Hunt. Tips & hints on cheap booze, food & garden gear

Options
13»

Comments

• jacqszoo
    jacqszoo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    In our cicrle of friends we have "one pot nights" all through the year. Basically everyone makes their chosen dish and brings it along. We do the same in the summer for BBQs. Everyone brings a little bit of something, takes a bit of planning so you don't end up with all the same dish but works really well.
  • pitry
    pitry Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's all good and well to ask friends to bring their own food, but I'm Italian and that's a no-no where I come from.
    When I lived in a house my BBQ were famous and having lived in a flat for last 4 years, I can't wait to move to the new place we are buying so finally I will be able to make up for all of the summers lost.
    Never the less there is a lot of preparation that you could do on the day before, like potato salad, fruit flavoured tiramisu', etc.
    Also I tend to stay away from veggie burgers and sausages, as they tend to be nasty on the BBQ.
    Instead I cook halloumi first, lots of aubergine, courgettes and beef tomatoes, perhaps thick slices of onions, so they don't get contaminated while I cook the meat. Another pretty dish for veggie is as follows:
    -cut the bottom of your peppers at about 3cm/1.5 inches, use the rest in your salads or crudites
    -put on the bbq hole side down for a while for the pepper to soften up slightly
    -turn around and crack an egg in it
    -cook for another 5 minutes or until the egg is cooked
    This doesn't work on a cheap portable bbq, not hot enough!

Pound shops, savers or wilkinson have good offers on paper plates & Co. but I hate throwing them away, so I tend to buy plastic plates and wash them afterwards. I know Sainsburys had some offers on this week.

I make my own humus, tzatziki, guacamole, easy and quick when you know how.
    And if you are really short of time, pre-cook everything in the oven first and give the meat 5 minutes on a very wood chip smokey bbq.

Enjoy!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    thebuff1 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to your replies as we always have at least a couple of BBQs every summer and notice that people will arrive with a bottle or some cans and will eat loads and leave quite late into the evening even if we have started early in the afternoon.

We always make the timings very clear, eg 1-6pm when we invite people, and when it gets towards the ending time, we start going around putting things away and generally tidying up. Not in an unfriendly way, as this gives us a chance to thank everyone for coming and say how much we enjoyed seeing them, and will look forward to the next time etc. Most people take the hint, we often get people checking diary dates and making tentative arrangements to host us at their do, and we also find most people will be polite and start helping with the clean-up.

The trick is to stop bringing out fresh supplies about an hour before the end so things run out and dishes and bottles sit around empty. Those who prefer just to stand around and drink soon run out of stuff to drink, and faced with the prospect of washing-up on the horizon, will quickly make their way to the door. Result!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    thebuff1 wrote: »
    Last year when we went to a work colleagues bbq, we were all told to bring our food and drink , he provided a few bits of chicken and that was it all the rest we bought ourselves, yet when he came to ours he turned up with a case of beer and proceeded to drink most of it throughout the day and ate extremely well. A different colleague expressed surprise that we always provide our own food as she felt everyone chipping in was the norm yet this is not our experience so would be good to hear what people think.

Very few people come to a BBQ empty-handed, but it should be made clear whether it's a 'bring and share', or a fully-host provided event, at the time the invite is issued. If I'm invited to a BBQ but the basis is unclear and I get no response to 'what can I bring?', then I always bring a bottle of wine and something else like a 2liter fizzy water or a tray of home-made cupcakes.

Once it's established it's a 'bring and share', then it's difficult, this one, the person who comes empty-handed but eats for two. Try having someone in charge of the BBQ who will also serve as the food is ready, and limit the amount that person is served, saying something like 'sorry for the small portion, but there's not enough meat to go round otherwise as some people forgot to bring any, but do help yourself to salad and bread'.

If that's too awkward for you, then you must either not invite that person, or expect to provide everything yourself.
  • loranius
    loranius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm saying this with the Chinese BBQ culture in mind:

Being a host, I don't mind paying for everything, although a lot of times my guests will ask what they can bring and will usually bring drinks and snacks as I would have bought all the meat etc. It's quite simple, buy few packs of burgers for me, chicken wings are a must for our BBQs, and the one I hosted last month my girl friends were complaining at the lack of salad (my bf bought meat only) and so she went out and topped up on the salad front at her cost.

I would say if you felt that one person is not contributing enough, sometimes we ask people to contribute in cash at the end of the day, or they won't get an invite to the next BBQ that we do!
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm always sure to let people know to bring their own choice of drinks; we rarely find they hog it all to themselves and people like to have their drink of choice - we only provide soft drinks/mixers and buckets of ice to keep them chilled.

We then ask people to bring a dish or some meat for the grill; generally all our friends make one 'signature' dish which we will either request specifically or which is their 'go to' anyway. One thing we have done a few times; especially if it's a bigger group is ask people that if they intend to contribute by way of meat then to have cooked it through first - people have never had a problem doing it and it means less waiting and rushing on the day. Also means stuff is cooked through so less risk of bugs etc ;)

I always go ott for BBQs but generally on cheaper dishes. As a standard I prepare:
    pasta tubes tossed in mint sauce
    corn on the cob
    rice with peas and/or pineapple (a personal fave)
    salad leaves
    grated carrot
    cubed cheddar
    beetroot
    pickled onions
    bread rolls
    chutneys/condiments
    potato salad
    coleslaw
    fruit kabobs
    a sweet dip
    a few crisps/tortilla chips

Can sound expensive but similar to Christmas I just squirrel away a extra pack of pasta one week, rice the next etc. Tinned fruit and veggies as well as frozen are a great way to boost the selection without bumping up the cost too much
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • purpleweasel
    purpleweasel Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    el_gringo wrote: »
    If you are a meat eater having a BBQ with some vegetarian guests:

1. You can't BBQ a bean burger/ vegetable quarter pounder. It has to be some sort of 'fake meat'. You'd be surprised how many BBQ's i've been to and been served a burnt mush.

2. Said fake meats usually take an awful lot less cooking time than their real meat counterparts.

3. Some products BBQ a lot better than others - sausages are a nightmare. Morrisons own brand veg sausages are terrible BBQ'd (even though they are lovely grilled) as the middle doesn't seem to cook. Linda McCartneys sausages (which are revolting cooked any other way) are brilliant on a BBQ. Quorn ones are somewhere in the middle imo.

As for value, as a rule Farmfoods TENDS to be the cheapest for branded veggie BBQ things, unless some place else has special offers on . Also on a hot day (such as this weekend was) a lot of the supermarkets tend to sell out of veggie burgers.

"Squeaky cheese" kebabs always go down well & quorn sausages hold together OK (but are not that cheap admittedly)...

My group of friends doesn't have a lot to spare so we always do a bring your own dish parties, usually one person decides the theme and checks that everyone hasn't decided to do the same thing! Sometimes we enjoy the chance to show off/test new stuff but sometimes we've all had a hard week and bring something ready made! As long as you make it clear beforehand to any new people it works well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure