PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Morning all

Pleased to see you back weezl like the look of the pasta though i am with you about freezing seperately i would rince the spaghetti well in cold water and freeze seperately from sauce if not add a little water when reheating .

well heres some more garden veg well leaves

b23f4d0e.jpg

theres red mustard,spinach and pak choi all have done really well over the summer the mustard started off as baby leave i hacked it back after it took over the greenhouse and its grown back again ,all of them suffered from some slug damage though because they are so tasty

these ones are going to be the basis of tea tonight

Beef in oyster sauce on a bed of wilted greens and topped with mushrooms

served with fried rice ................yumm we love chinese

the basics sauces etc are expensive if you buy all at once the rice wine is about £4 but you use tiny amounts so cheap in the long run

Chinese grocers usually sell larger bottles of stuff for the same price as supermarkets like a bottle soy is a £1 but you get a litre ,500g five spice for 75p etc

Also not using a lot of meat only 1 piece of steak(fron the cow i bought) for
    3 of us

going to have a go at a new soup today too using red lentils and the 4p curry sauce thinking mulligatawny???:confused:

Oh and the bean and sausage shepherds pie was delish ...........apparently and about 35p per serving

Shaz - done all my homework like a good little student:A
    Shaz
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Options
    Hellooooooooo everyone !

Thanks for the lovely comments about the nappy cake :o , it was our first one and we weren't sure how it would turn out but we're really pleased and can't wait to give it to my cousin ! Just got to wait for the baby to arrive now lol

Lesley - I made it from nappies (rolled up and secured with an elastic band), some bottles of Boots expert body wash/hair wash etc, a couple of babygrows, some muslin (wrapped round the outside of the nappies to hide them) and a teddy on top. Total cost was about £10 (used boots glitches to get most of the stuff ;):D

Right I have some really good news (no i'm not expecting lol) ......... we think we've got part of an allotment !!!!! :j I put an ad on freecycle saying that we'd be very happy to help someone with theirs if they couldn't quite manage and someone has got in touch ! I think we're meeting up down there on Saturday and the lady is very nice and chatty so I think we'll get on very well ! Also a bonus that it's on the site that we wanted :T Keep your fingers crossed for us !

I have a mountain of housework to do (not really done any since my heating system was ripped out last week) so i'd better get off my bum (and here lol) and get cracking.

Have a really lovely day everyone (can't you tell i'm in a good mood!? ! :rotfl: ) xxxx
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys *mwah!* ... I was hired to work on a 4 month project, my manager was happy with my work and kept me on - the rest you know! Atleast I'll get a good reference. I've cancelled an appointment this Sunday so I can work on (permanent) job applications.

Came home yesterday to find a flyer of vouchers from a well-known pizza chain saying things like '25% off if you spend more than £15!' 'Free side when you buy one large pizza' Pay £10 for a meal which is going to make me fat (and not be as good as my own version)?! Laugh? I nearly split my sides. (Before chucking a small shepherdess pie in the oven.)
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Morning all!

Well I am a lucky girl... I know it isn't as Moneysaving as baking bread from scratch, but in my Tescos order last night I managed to get 10 Hovis bread mixes for 27p each! My OH loves the granary ones. Why so many? Well, everytime I order them they are out of stock and even when my OH shops at Tescos the Hovis mix shelf is empty so I ordered 10, never imagining they would actually turn up! But they did, so Ian put on the bread maker before he went to work at 0745 today and we will be having granary bread for lunch! I feel a little guilty for ordering so many but I honestly never imagined they would all turn up.

Ok, this might not be interesting to anyone but my OH suggested I write down some of the different ways I liven up mashed potato. I am sure everyone does similar things but here goes..

I mash with skimmed milk OR about 3 tblsp of home made low fat yoghurt and salt and pepper of course.. then..
    1. Chilli Mash: Add a little oil to a frying pan and heat gently. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and stir til they pop. Add one deseeded and finely chopped red or green chilli and 4 chopped spring onions. (or a small normal onion). Cook for about 2 mins and then stir into the hot mashed pots.
    2. Garlic and Herb Mash: Finely chop a small bunch of whatever herbs you have growing (we use parsley, or sometimes chives) and then crush 2 garlic cloves and mash or stir into the hot mash.
    3. Cheesy leek Mash: Heat a little oil and/or butter in a frying pan and heat gently, add 2 finely chopped leeks and cook for about 5 mins until soft. Stir in with a tsp of wholegrain mustard and 2 to 3 oz grated strong cheddar.
    4. Onion and bacon mash: Chop up left over bits of bacon and fry gently with a chopped onion (I buy the bacon bits that are so cheap from Tescos and often have a few odd bits left) and stir in.
    You can also make patties out of the mash and fry in a little oil with any of the above additions too. Just livens up what can be a little dull.

Hope everyone has a great day

*hugs* to all

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, this might not be interesting to anyone but my OH suggested I write down some of the different ways I liven up mashed potato. I am sure everyone does similar things but here goes..

I mash with skimmed milk OR about 3 tblsp of home made low fat yoghurt and salt and pepper of course.. then..
    1. Chilli Mash: Add a little oil to a frying pan and heat gently. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and stir til they pop. Add one deseeded and finely chopped red or green chilli and 4 chopped spring onions. (or a small normal onion). Cook for about 2 mins and then stir into the hot mashed pots.
    2. Garlic and Herb Mash: Finely chop a small bunch of whatever herbs you have growing (we use parsley, or sometimes chives) and then crush 2 garlic cloves and mash or stir into the hot mash.
    3. Cheesy leek Mash: Heat a little oil and/or butter in a frying pan and heat gently, add 2 finely chopped leeks and cook for about 5 mins until soft. Stir in with a tsp of wholegrain mustard and 2 to 3 oz grated strong cheddar.
    4. Onion and bacon mash: Chop up left over bits of bacon and fry gently with a chopped onion (I buy the bacon bits that are so cheap from Tescos and often have a few odd bits left) and stir in.
    You can also make patties out of the mash and fry in a little oil with any of the above additions too. Just livens up what can be a little dull.

Hope everyone has a great day

*hugs* to all

Diva.x

Thanks for those. I'm going to give them a try.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    going to have a go at a new soup today too using red lentils and the 4p curry sauce thinking mulligatawny???:confused:

GOod idea! The last time I went into Mr T thought the 4p curry sauce had gone up to 11p! That's a 175% rise :eek::eek:
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    well the soup worked fine i simmered together

200g red lentils
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin curry sauce
    1 large chopped onion
    1 teaspoon cumin
    i needed to add a little water half way through

once lentils were cooked i blended until smooth then returned to pan and added

1 grated carrot
    1 grated apple and simmered for another 5 minutes
    i may add a little cooked rice too

its nice ,not sure about costings but it can't be much feel free to figure it out geeky maths people :0) serve 2-3 as a meal or 4+ as a light lunch

Shaz
    Shaz
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Afternoon all :D

Just had a bowl of the HM cream of tomato soup and the end of yesterdays HM loaf for lunch ..oooh it was tasty :T

I just sauted a big leek off in a bit of butter/oil, when soft threw in some flour to help thicken it and then dolloped my roast tomatoes in and seasoning, cooked it out and blitzed oooh and added a dollop of whoopsed creme fraiche in i needed to use up... So approx prices were -
    Leek - 20c
    butter -1c -whoopsed organic ;)
    oil -1c
    flour - 5c
    tomatoes -free from garden :D
    creme fraiche -5c
    so 32c - 25p - and that did a flask full for hubby and a bowl for me :D

I managed to force a big bag of roast tomatoes into the freezer :p and have a bowl in the fridge to use in the next couple of days -can't wait to get planting for next season :D
    Money saving Diva... I could live on potato.... nothing nicer than a bowl of mash :p , mind im a carbohydrate junky :D

Dinner tonight is potatoes n onions layered and baked in the oven -hubby asked for it again and as its one of my faves I agreed ;) -hubby is having corned beef in the middle of his -i will freeze the rest as i don't want any in mine. Have a new loaf of bread rising too...

I fetched plenty more beans in earlier -they are doing better now than the 1st time round :confused: I had some off early in the season and thought they had done-but they got their second wind and are producing more :j so they will go in the freezer later;)

think i had better get off
    Have a great day everyone:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    MSDiva, your mash recipes remind me of a gorgeous Indian starter a friend served me recently.

1. Make chilli mash as per your method (actually, I think my friend might have left out the onion, obviously that's down to personal tastes, and how strong your dahl is!)
    2. Form it into small balls
    3. Make as big a indentation in the ball as you can with your finger,
    4. Fill the indentation with very thick dahl
    5. Cover over the hole with more mash until the dahl is sealed in
    6. Fry!

This uses quite a lot of oil, but is, obviously, quicker and easier to make than starters like samosas which require pastry and is great for a Saturday night fakeaway.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    plum pie - so sorry to hear about your work situation - everything is going crazy at the moment. sad to think how people will be affected who are living on takeaways

jb - that nappy cake is amazing! I have a couple of friends expecting - I was going to try to knit them something, but as my current knitting projects are still only a few rows long (and have been for ages) maybe I'll try a cake instead! - or maybe I wont get round to that either!

bunny - maybe Asda are trying to support you in your grocery challenge, by refusing to feed you!

weezl - good to see you back and posting recipes to inspire us

the sea kale was really nice by the way - more bitter than cabbage, but in a good way. we had it with sausages balanced out the fattiness very well.
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport