PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    hiya shellbell,

loads of tips here already, which are brilliant.:T Just wanted to offer some other sausage options, since you've got loads, but so the chaps won't think they're eating the same thing each night...;)

• Toad in the hole with onion gravy
    • sausage meat casserole (skin the sausages, add onions and herbs, and a drained can of chopped toms, bake for 45 mins then top with mash, bake for 15 mins and serve with the tomato juice as a gravy)
    • skin the sausages and roll into meatballs, make a quick tomato sauce and serve with spaghetti/pasta shapes
    • Sausage quiche (My OH loves this one!)
    • add cooked sausages cubed into egg fried rice, or a risotto
    • evening fry up? egg, sausage, beans and little saute potatoes?

that could be 6 nights of the week without percieved repetition?!

All the very best with your challenge!

The mushroom pate worked well, and DH has gone to work with 2 pitta breads spread with it...:D

Going to try more decluttering today, finding it hard to get motivated tho! :eek:

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • carebearbecky
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    I've spotted the mozzarella on your list. Some of the ladies on here make their own pizza bases, so another possibility if you make your own tomato sauce (and possibly another use for the Chorizo :confused: )

My fella loves chorizo on his HM pizzas, just be aware that it is quite greasy and can make the base go a bit soggy if you're not careful! :D
    Perpetual Lurker!

Savings fund: £0 but plans are afoot!

• Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shelbell

Mum used to do something we called 'tuna thing' - she got the recipe at a 1970s tupperware party! Basically canned tuna, canned condensed mushroom soup, peas, tomatoes, onions (I soften these first) mixed together, topped with cheese & shoved in the oven for about 1/2 hour.

If you do an internet search on 'tuna casserole' there are loads of versions, it seems only the soup & tuna are constant & then it is whatever veggies you have & rice or pasta or noodles.

HTH
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I :rolleyes: it might have been either The One Show or Inside Out on BBC1 Ceridwen. As for the porridge, I make mine with all water & don't add anything :eek: & very good it is too!
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shelbell

I had another thought with what you have in, a more substantial bangers & beans - sausages, can tomatoes, can harricot beans, lazy garlic & herbs to taste. Brown the sausages with some of the garlic (and onion if you have some & if you want), add the canned tomatoes incl juice & drained beans. Season to taste. Simmer for maybe 20 mins, until some of the juice has reduced down. Probably need to judge by eye & check sausages cooked through.

I really ought to get on with some work. Working at home today!

Juli
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    ShelBell wrote: »
    Cheryl thank you for those suggestions! I think I'll definately need to get some more rice, as only have one microwave packet (have never mastered cooking rice from scratch, its always stodgy and yuck). But Lidl do some cheap micro rice.

I think this week I'm going to try and use up some of the foil dish meals, as they take up the most space in the freezer. That way I can make a batch of bolognaise with one of the minces and bulk it out with oats and lentils etc. I have a cheap veg van that parks up at the end of the road 3 times a week so I can pick up fresh veggies really cheaply.

ShelBell, had a look, and no-one seems to have given the advice on cooking rice so here goes:

Wash well in a sieve until water runs as clear as possible (not so important if you have easy-cook rice - ESSENTIAL with all Basmati)

With Basmati rice: pop into boiling water, bring back to the boil and then pour into a small holed colander (or a large seive) and place over the saucepan (I use a large pan that the colander fits inside). Pour away water and rinse again with boiling water from kettle. Put a little boiling water in bottom of pan - not touching rice is best - and then place seive/colander on top stir once with a fork and pop lid on. Takes about 3 - 5 mins to steam through then, depending how soft you like your rice.

With ordinary rice: cover with cold water, bring to the boil, stir once with a fork and turn off and cover. Once softened to your liking pour into colander and rinse with boiling water - ready to serve!

Hope it helps - rice is getting expensive so helps if you can buy cheaper versions. Good luck, sounds more complicated than it is!:D
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • ShelBell
    Options
    sounds fiercely complicated :eek: lol

thanks for all the ideas. Like the idea of the sausage meat casserole weezl!
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs :j
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ShelBell, I cook ordinary rice in the microwave all the time.

Just take a large bowl - I have a "Microwave Dome" with a lid - but any large bowl will do. Put in 8oz long grain rice & seasoning, pour on approx 3/4 pint of boiling water, cover with lid and microwave on full power for approx 12 mins. The rice absorbs all the water.

Sometimes I use a flavoured stock cube (Chinese, Indian, Italian) or add herbs and garlic. I also do mushroom rice by adding sliced mushrooms at the beginning - or frozen peas, etc, etc. You need to experiment with your own microwave to fine tune this. Hope this helps.
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    I am thinking there should be a book..101, things to do with sausages..mmmm.

Mrs M, have been meaning to ask where did you get your sausage maker from? I have had a go at hand making them without skins, but would love to try and produce a *finished* article.

I also agree about the dumplings..x
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    shelbel have you worked out the difference between cook it and cooked rice? The price difference is huge me thinks? Weezl can you do some geekyness?!!
    Have had a blow as miscalc my paid off amount and am mightily hacked off with myself so lightbulb #264 burning more than the empire state building...

Not sure what to eat for tea as feel a bit icky...definately not porrige with no milk c!! eeeww! umm - scotch egg maybe?!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure