PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My maternal Gran gave us either Lucozade (yep, that original one -- and I detest it too !!) or hot water with honey, lemon and glycerine (and I'm not much fonder of that either)

The orange juice with a cold is to get a boost of Vitamin C.
    Cheryl
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Ooohhh I used to love the "proper" lucozade with the squeaky cellophane around it.. but can't stand the new stuff :confused:

Just been and got mums jam maker thingy..and the instructions are in English too -vare unusual out here-so I will be having a nosey in there later :p
    I also came close to getting a big machine jobby -like a big pan that plugs into the mains and has a trivet in the bottom for preserving your jars of produce in..on sale at €30 / £24 i was sooooo tempted but think i will keep an eye out next season for one ;) .. then between me n my mum we will have all our preserving needs covered.. jamm machine, my big jam pan and thermometer for big batches and the steriliser jobby -not doing it in my le creuset pans ;) We will beat the price hikes ;)

:eek: the chinese supermarket has closed down..so that will be back to looking at that site on line to get noodles, suet, pulses etc delivered -still works out cheaper than out here .... so will get that done later :D
    I did pick up another tray of beans and one of passata for hubbies chilli and 6 tins of cornedbeef. thats €1.29 in the NAAFI its €2.35 :confused: :eek:
    right off to make the tortilla dough
    have a good evening all :T
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • lollyfin
    Options
    Hi all just to get in on the bin bags debate, we have never been given bin bags, always had wheelie bins, now we have a recycling box and bag for paper and thin card as well and since we were given them our collection has been reduced to fortnightly. When there are 6 of you living in the house a fortnightly collection is a bit of a nightmare. I am 36 by the way......gettin older and grumpier by the day...lol
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    our green and brown bins are fortnightly -- along with the paper bag, and all on the same week

our black bin is still weekly, but I think that's only 'cos we're the "trial area" for the brown bins so the general waste wagons have to do the main road right behind us anyway.

So ever other week we have 3 bins and a bag to go out -- and we're on a shared drive with 2 other houses, so that's NINE bins at the end of the drive (we're the only one of the 3 uses the paper bags though :eek: )

But during the summer last year (before the brown bin arrived, but while I was collecting glass and tins to drop off at the points at the tip) I only put our black bin out fortnightly anyway. Granted there are only 3 of us (and 2 dogs), but unless I'm doing a major clear-out it's never a quarter used each week (so less than half full if left for a fortnight).
    Cheryl
  • Lizalu
    Lizalu Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    We don't get given bin bags either and to use the ones we have stocked up from supermarket trips, though stocks are now very low.

Apparantly elderberry cordial in hot water is very good when you've got a cold, my mother always gave us that. Apparently orange juice should only be drunk at breakfast!
    BTW, I'm 21.
    odi et amo
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lollyfin wrote: »
    Hi all just to get in on the bin bags debate, we have never been given bin bags, always had wheelie bins, now we have a recycling box and bag for paper and thin card as well and since we were given them our collection has been reduced to fortnightly. When there are 6 of you living in the house a fortnightly collection is a bit of a nightmare. I am 36 by the way......gettin older and grumpier by the day...lol

never been given bin bags, no wheelie bins, no recycling boxes at all. :(

Rest of the city has recycling/wheelie bins but coz we live in flats - we get nowt - just normal weekly bin collection.

Have to take the rest of the stuff to the tip myself each week.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our council give us bin bags doesn't anybody elses? Just wondered on a bit of straw pole what sort of age everyone is . Start the ball rolling 42 and a very grumpy old git as opposed to the slightly younger grumpy git I used to be!

Errr...nope....and I wouldnt be very pleased with them if they did....as I dont suppose they would be the "greenest" available and they would be spending our money to provide them to us:mad: So - I dont want them doing that...and nope it wouldnt work out on the "swings and roundabouts" principle - as I use a LOT fewer binbags than a family - I'll behave myself and not go off on one about having to pay 75% of the Council Tax that couples and families pay for just me - grrrr!!! (a vote for the "Bring Back the Poll Tax Party! LOL)

EDIT: eRRR... Weezl....you'm supposed to be on holiday you are my lass....not on yur this morning thanking people for their posts......go on - admit it - you cant keep away from us lot! Heh!
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    well spotted there C!! Weezl what are you like eh!! Hope youre both having a lovely chill and enjoying books, puzzles and most of all no decorating!!!! But seeing as youre peeking did ya get my text?!!
    As for others how on earth have we got onto bin bags?!! My council do deliver and we get free green, white and black bags..
    Am now 39...a little too close to 40 for my liking but only feel about 22!! Off to eve class and have had a lovely nsd today!! Yahoo!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• hmkn
    hmkn Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    when we were really ill, mum would buy Lucozade - do you remember the proper old fashioned one, it came in a clear glass bottle with orange cellophane wrapped round it?

I hated the taste of it, and for many years I thought it was some kind of medicine. If only I'd known it was just a sugary fizzy drink I would have asked for Tango!

phizzimum (aged 35)

Me too! I always prefferred Tizer, but in those days you couldn't get that in our village or nearest market town, but only when we visisted my gran in the exotic location of.....Finchley!:rotfl:

HMK (aged 37 :eek: )
  • hmkn
    hmkn Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I've just made Runner Bean Relish (though it's brown and looks like chutney to me!) from my Good Housekeeping book

Makes 5 lb
    1 1/2 lb onions peeled and chopped
    1 pint malt vinegar (I used 'used' pickled onion vinegar, IYSWIM)
    2 lbs runner beans trimmed and sliced
    3 tbsp cornflour
    1 tbsp mustard powder
    1 tbsp tumeric
    1 tbsp mustard seeds
    1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (was n't going to bother, but actually they do add to the taste, though not essential)
    8oz soft brown sugar
    1 lb demerara sugar (I used white granulated because that's what I had)

Put chopped onion in pan with 1/2 pint vinegar and simmer for about 20 mins or until tender.
    Cook the beans in salted boiling water for 5 mins, drain and add to onion mixture. Slake spices and seeds with about 1/4 pint remaining vinegar and add to onions/beans. Add rest of vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sugar (will make the mixture wetter), stir until dissolved then bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20- 25 mins.
    Pot and seal as usual. Leave for at least 1 week before eating.

It says you can make it with frozen beans too.

HTH

HMK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family