PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Options

Comments

• redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Options
    Been trying to do my sums for today, but having Monday morning maths malfunction!

Errr something like..

Breakfast - Tesco value branflakes, milk, banana - about 20p
    Snack - spinach & ricotta pastry - 8p
    Lunch - spaghetti with nettle & dandelion pesto - about 5p for spaghetti, plus a tiny bit for garlic, parmesan, tomatoes used, lets say 7p
    Snack - homemade cereal bar - about 6p
    Tea - butterbean & tomato stew (1/3 tin butterbeans = 14p, 1/3 tin tomatoes = 7p, onions = free, chillis = free, garlic, spices = a few pence), with rice (ummm, dunno, bought a massive tub a couple of months ago) and feta cheese (free with voucher) - about 30p
    Cups of tea free at work :D
    Total for day = 71p (ish!)
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Got me greenhouse sorted got plants in and everything even though its raining

Brekkie here was - cinnamon raisin toast
    lunch - naan bread and yoghurt dip
    Dinner will be chick pea curry with pilau rice after swimming lessons !!

i hate eating after 6

Lots of interesting suggestions for protein ...............i won't be participating i am a bit meat squeamish anyway

theres a frustrated veggie inside me trying to get out..................although she's easily quietened by a free range organic bacon butty:rotfl: :rotfl:

Rang our council soil is £30 a ton so £3 cheaper but you have to dig it and fetch it yourself!! the other inc deliveryand comes in nice builders bags which make good compost bins!

Have a nice monday hope it's not raining where you are

Shaz
    Shaz
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy a pig's head, ask the butcher to chop it into bits and remove the eyes.

Then boil it. If you pop a couple of trotters in it or a hock it makes good jelly. You can get enough meat to make a pork pie. The rest cut up small for brawn and the trotters with vinegar, salt and pepper.

In both the 'Little House on the Prairie' books and 'Lark Rise', they talk about roasting the pigs tail over the fire when poor piggy is killed.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :rotfl: at the slow cooker story -- hadn't got that far through the original thread yet (starting from post 1081 today). Off to investigate what they have to offer, as I think it's something I need to consider purchasing !?!?

been out to the supermarkets -- took the car to a complex further from home so we had access to large Asda and MrT at the same place, but only 'cos younger son wanted to see if he could get a new coat at one of them.

have hopefully stocked up with enough milk until next weekend -- the blokes have used 21 pints in the last 9 days, so we now have almost 28 pints in the fridge for them

also stocked up some cake bits from the discounted Supercook ranges -- they had nice long dates on them, and cakes are one thing I can't resist from mark-downs, even though they're normally still quite pricey!!

also got bread flour and dried yeast, so plan to try the potato bread (have some spuds need using up in the next couple of days, but very little bread in the house) -- and also the eggless bagels as my younger son prefers bagels to normal bread, but they're expensive so he only gets them as a treat when they're on BOGOF or in Whoopsie. last attempt (10 years ago?) wasn't that good, but will try again now I have more time on my hands.

and I got the chicken livers (and butter) for the pate too..... and discovered (for the first time) that MrT also does frozen lambs liver. Hubby enjoys braised liver and onion with mash every now and again (although I have to do something different for the boys), so I've also popped a pack of that into what little freezer space I have.....

Already have the ingredients in for the humuous and guacamole - so looks like I'm for a busy few days ;)
    Cheryl
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    on the F word last week Tom Parker Bowles bought a whole pig and cooked and ate every part of it ,so you might get a few ideas there for the odd bits weezl ,if you missed it catch it on 4oD not for the squeamish though.I also remember watching HFW on River cottage programme and he says you can eat everything but the oink
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Plum pie the lemon buns sound fab! Can I tempt you to do a little cheeky maths? How many pence for a bun?

OK, you tempted me. When the recipe was first posted, it was costed at 50p, I halved the quantities so that's 25p or 2.1p per bun for 12 normal sized fairy cake cases filled with the original coconut version.

I removed the milk (I worked out the cost of the milk at 35p per pint, as I don't buy it so don't know milk-bargain-hunting tricks!) and bought cheap lemons but worked it out thus, allowing for 1.5 lemons per batch.

If lemons cost 5p each = 2.1p per bun
    If lemons cost 10p each = 2.8p per bun
    If lemons cost 20p each = 4p per bun

I thought as the buns turn out quite springy, it would be easy and tasty to add some finely chopped fresh or dried fruit or a tsp of jam in the middle, like a doughnut. They're not very sweet and fall into the scone/malt loaf end of the cake spectrum as opposed to the sponge cake end. You could sweeten them up by icing them or adding glace cherries though!

I have some HM marmelade my mum gave me which I'm not really eating and was thinking of doing the same recipe with cinnamon and ginger instead of lemon and putting marmelade in the middle.

Seriously, it'll be a cold day in hell before I cook a recipe exactly as it's given to me, even though when I first read it, I imagine how good it will taste exactly as it is! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I managed to acquire some broad beans yesterday (oops that sounds like I pinched them, they were from a friend's allotment honest)

I've never cooked them before as OH says he doesn't like them - so does anyone have any recipes to inspire me? I'm feeling in the mood for soup (must be the rain) preferably something that will freeze ok. failing that I could just serve them up with carrots and peas (yawn)

there were lots of nettles around the allotment site as well. are they still ok to be eaten or are nettles more of a spring thing?

I'm going to have a go at making hummous today - I've bought tinned chick peas but if I get the hang of it I'll try using dried ones.

It's funny - I've always thought of myself as quite an adventurous cook, but in this post alone there are 3 things I've never cooked. shame on me!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Options
    Phizzimum - the nettles I picked yesterday were OK, went for the younger looking plants and the tops rather than the older thicker leaves.
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    If your OH likes hummus, why not make broad bean dip? They're called fava beans in the US, if you want to google for the widest variety of recipes.

Basically steam the beans and mash with lightly cooked garlic, salt and pepper and serve warm. You can also add herbs, other veg, certain cheeses. Classy enough to be a topping for crostini as well as with pitta, tortilla chips etc. I'm sure it would freeze fine.

If you were making a pureed soup, you could just whizz the beans in and he'd never know!
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    red squirrel - thanks, that's what I thought

plum pie - brilliant, broad bean hummous! that's what I call two birds with one stone. OH will eat them if I cook them, I just have never bought them before as he's not keen. He's probably not had them since school dinners!
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport