When my mortgage ends what are the banks likely responses?

Options
Partner and I have a joint interest only mortgage with 170k remaining that ends in 7 years.
We don't have a formal repayment vehicle and certainly don't earn enough currently to switch to repaying it. Without contacting the bank directly - Lloyds in this case - I wanted to hear from others about what the bank does when  the end of the term comes if you still owe on the mortgage. Do they reposess the house and sell giving you the equity? Do they let you extend the mortgage? Do they wait for you sell and pay them back? How reasonable are they? I'd love to hear others experiences and scenarios based on dealing with banks. Tia

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    reading some posts on the forum I think some people are given time to sell the property - suspect it all depends on how much you engage with the bank and agreement you can come to 
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    time to look at down scaling
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,003 Forumite
    Options
    If they reposses the property, they will sell at auction and you might get a lot less back than you are expecting. It would be better to sell up before the end of the mortgage term so that you remain in control of the amount that the property is sold for. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Surprised that you didn't receive the letters that were sent to interest only mortgage holders a few years ago. Ultimately how the debt is repaid is in your court. If you don't take action by selling. The bank will eventually force a repossession. For which you'll bear the costs. Better to be proactive. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No one can really answer the question from the information you have given.

For example, if you are at a more senior age then the options would be more limited than if you were younger. With the latter they may allow you to switch to a repayment mortgage. Unlikely they would let you carry on with an interest only, but some may.

What are you trying to achieve may be a better question to put forward.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 April at 7:12PM
    Options
    400ixl said:
    For example, if you are at a more senior age then the options would be more limited than if you were younger. With the latter they may allow you to switch to a repayment mortgage. Unlikely they would let you carry on with an interest only, but some may.
    On the flip-side, if they are older they would have some options like a Retirement Interest Only (RIO) mortgage, or Equity Release...
    ... but I agree, no way to know what is on the table without more information, but the worst answer right now is probably to do nothing, and the best answer may well be to down-size...

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    If they reposses the property, they will sell at auction and you might get a lot less back than you are expecting. It would be better to sell up before the end of the mortgage term so that you remain in control of the amount that the property is sold for. 
    In my experience the vast majority of repossessions are marketed via estate agents, not at auction. But certainly it should be a last resort to allow the bank to repossess if you can sell yourself - even if the bank achieves the same price you would, they'll be charging arrears of interest, their own charges, their legal costs for repossession, etc.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 April at 7:29AM
    Options
    If you reach the end of the mortgage term the Bank will require repayment of their capital. If not by other means, by sale. If you sell and repay them fine. If not they will repossess and sell and you will get less back for sure.

If you reach the end of your term and the Bank can see you are taking steps to repay the capital, they will normally delay any action to give you time to sort the capital repayment out. During that period you will be on the standard variable rate and that can get expensive (currently 8.74% with Halifax making your payments £1,28 pcm).

Therefore, the smart thing now is to get some advice and consider your options.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Question to the other members:
    If they repossess the house, would this put OP in a difficult place getting another mortgage? 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jemma01 said:
    Question to the other members:
    If they repossess the house, would this put OP in a difficult place getting another mortgage? 
    Begs the question why would someone allow this to happen. Given there's 7 years yet. Plenty of time to plan for the future in a constructive manner. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback