Council Tax Band Review

Options
We challenged our Council Tax banding as we purchased our house in 1991 for £ 47500 which according to the table puts us in Band B. We are in Band C. Neighbour in identical house albeit with an extension is Band B 
Sent all purchase evidence to VOA and received this response 

What is our next step ?

I have checked your property and I can confirm it is in the right council tax band –
Band
C
Please let me explain why this is right for your property and why similar properties nearby
may be in different bands.
I considered the following when reviewing the banding of your property.
How council tax bands are determined
All council tax bands are based on
the price the property would have sold for on the open
market on 1 April 1991 in England and 1 April 2003 in Wales. That value is determined by a
number of factors, including:
size
layout
character
Local councils will tell us about changes to properties, such as extensions, which might affect
a property’s value. However, legally we can’t change a property’s council tax band to reflect
those changes until the property is sold.
Council tax bands ar
e not based on the
current housing market, so they do not change as the
value of a property increases or decreases.
Your banding is based on evidence of actual sales of similar properties at or around 1 April
and not just on the sale of an individual property
. I have reviewed this evidence and
have also
taken into consideration
the bandings of other properties in the area, which have
either been agreed with the taxpayer, determined by an independent valuation
tribunal or
established for a number of years.
Property values have changed since the banding came
into effect but any increase or decrease in a property’s value caused by general fluctuations
in the housing market cannot be taken into account for counci
l tax purposes.
Similar properties in lower band than yours
You referred to similar properties that are in lower bands. There are several reasons why
apparently similar properties could have lower bandings.
OFFICIAL
They may have been extended to a similar size to your own property but have
not subsequently sold. A banding cannot be increased to reflect improvements
before there has been a sale.
Very similar properties can correctly fall into different bands due to t
he range
of values attributed to Council Tax bands. Sometimes a small difference in area
can result in a property moving into either a higher or lower Council Tax Band.
They may have been lowered following an Appeal. But when this happens, I
also consider
whether this means that other properties in the area should have
their banding lowered too.
Properties may be in a lower band as a result of an error, but this is rare.
I’ve looked carefully at the pattern of bandings in the area and the evidence of sales that took
place around April 1991. Based on this, I can confirm that you’re in the right band. I will now
consider whether the bandings of any other properties in the area need to be increased.
Lower neighbouring property
You referred to the banding of a neighbouring property that appears low. I am not aware that
any changes have been made to this property that might lead to a higher council tax band.
But I will review this banding to see whether it should be changed.
I am unable
to write to you about the outcome of a review of another property, but you can
check whether a change has been made at any time by going to GOV.UK and searching
‘Check your Council Tax band’, clicking ‘start now’ and inputting the post code of the relevant
property you wish to check.
Please be assured your home is in the right council tax band.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why did you not challenge your band when CT was first introduced back in 1993?

Having read the VOA response, it seems that there have been other sales of similar properties in excess of £52,000 and the VOA believe your purchase price was not usual for the house type and may have reflected poor repair or a need for modernisation. Was this the case? 

I cannot see there is anything you could do to persuade the VOA to change their mind. I sometimes suggest CT payers write to their MP but I doubt on this occasion whether it would achieve anything.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    WhyRountfelley said:
    We challenged our Council Tax banding as we purchased our house in 1991 for £ 47500 which according to the table puts us in Band B. 
    Just out of interest is there any reason why you didn't challenge it at the time ? (I recall that there was a lot if publicity when Council tax was first introduced in 1993 about how to challenge your band, and I did successfully with both the porety I moved from and to around that time). Do you have still have any evidence of the purchase price you paid in 1991, and did that form part of your appeal ?
  • Rountfelley
    Options
    TBH we knew nothing about challenging at the time and a recent MSE item on TV triggered our claim
    We have evidence including estate agent flier which went to VOA
    Not in poor repair or need of modernisation
    Thank you for responses
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm ex VOA and when it was announced that CT was coming into force, it was also announced that bands could be appealed. The VOA received more than 1,000,000 appeals within 8 months of CT introduction, so was well publicised.

What do you mean by "EA flier"? The sale particulars for your home?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Rountfelley
    Options
    Yes estate agent - we were young and naive

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family