Council tax increase challenge

Options
Hi,
I’ve received a letter from my council telling me they have done some investigating and they are increasing my band from D to E.

there are other properties on the street built at the same time that are still on band D.

I’ve got evidence of these properties and will be adding it to my appeal but wanting advice if there is anything further I should be stating or adding (wording wise) into my appeal to strengthen my case.

Just to add to the blow they are then raising it by 5%😩

thank you in advance

Comments

• YBR
    YBR Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Consider whether there are any different property improvements that have been done to the properties?

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When we were assessed (for a reductioin) they could only take account of alterations at the time of purchase or on the banding valuation date when council tax replaced poll tax. The valuations officer actually tried to tell me it was a higher band because of conservatory, detached garage and garage conversion, none of which were allowed to be valued under the rules. When I reminded him he changed track and agreed immediately to a new band. It was backdated 10 years to - Thanks to MSE guide I followed.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The letter increasing the band would have come from the Valuation Office Agency not the council. 

Unless you are a new owner and the previous owner carried out improvements to the property the VOA would not usually increase a band. If it seems to be a random increase, there is a possibility that someone nearby has complained about their home being in Band E and quoted yours being in Band D as similar/identical. The VOA have subsequently investigated, decided Band E was correct and have increased your band.

I would suggest you contact the VOA and ask them exactly why your band has been increased.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • pinos2007
    pinos2007 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thank you for the replies, yes it was from the VOA.
    I’m wondering if anyone one has any strong points to mention in my appeal that will strengthen my case?

For example I read that if you have sewer or drain access lids in your land this can help reduce your tax band, not sure if any truth in this.

thanks again in advance, just need as much advice and experience as possible to help with this matter.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    pinos2007 said:
    I’m wondering if anyone one has any strong points to mention in my appeal that will strengthen my case?

For example I read that if you have sewer or drain access lids in your land this can help reduce your tax band, not sure if any truth in this.

thanks again in advance, just need as much advice and experience as possible to help with this matter.
    Absolutely none!!

Did you contact the VOA about the reason for the band increase?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • pinos2007
    pinos2007 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pinos2007 said:

Absolutely none!!

pinos2007 said:

Absolutely none!!

I did ask VOA why but they told me i had to submit my appeal before any information would be passed over
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    pinos2007 said:
    pinos2007 said:

Absolutely none!!

pinos2007 said:

Absolutely none!!

I did ask VOA why but they told me i had to submit my appeal before any information would be passed over
    Not a particularly helpful or honest reply. Nothing in CT legislation that says you have to make an appeal before VOA can tell you why they have increased the band.

Just look for properties of the same age, type and size as yours in the area (not just the same street) in Band D. When did you move into your home?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback