MSE News: Council tax in Scotland to be frozen until April 2025

Options
MSE_Kit
MSE_Kit Posts: 86 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 19 October 2023 at 9:02AM in Scotland
Council tax for all 2.5 million households in Scotland will be frozen at current levels until April 2025, the Scottish Government has confirmed. It means no household in Scotland will see an increase in council tax for at least the next 18 months.

Read the full story:

'
Council tax in Scotland to be frozen until April 2025 - here's what you need to know'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• diinozzo
    diinozzo Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd wait and see. SNP had this commitment in a previous election manifesto...it was quickly dropped.
  • SwedashChef
    SwedashChef Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Well, I just got my statement through for the next year and definitely can't call a £60 a year increase, "frozen"! While it isn't what some people in the UK will be facing, don't claim to "freeze" something when you're not.

My small 2 bedroom flat is a bend F - 2 bands below a mansion. A number of years ago I went through the process of appealing the banding for the development I live in. I got offered a job based on the report (didn't take it) but no reduction in the banding. 

Three cracked wheels in 2 months due to the state of the roads here and not even an acknowledgement of a claim submitted 18 months ago for a burst tyre. Thank you Glasgow City Council!
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The council tax element has stayed the same on my bill, it is the water element that has increased, in our case by £44.10 per year.
  • Dizzyblonde66
    Options
    I live in Inverness and my council tax bill has increased by £20 a month. Thought council tax bills were "frozen" in Scotland??
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 March at 3:44PM
    Options
    The biggest rise in the Highland Council area is £88 per year for band H properties and is for water & sewage charges, council tax has not increased.  There must be another reason for the increase to your monthly payment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback