BETA

Ask An Expert: ENERGY

This event is now over. Thanks for your questions. Experts MSE Andrew & MSE Clare have finished posting replies to many of them

Please note: our experts DO NOT offer personal financial advice. Heed the MSE Forum rules and keep it clean, kind & MoneySaving.

Octopus Agile Prices

Options
Will Agile prices reduce also on 1st October as they are wholesale based?
1 votes

Ask An Expert: Answered · Last Updated

Hi jaceyboy

Agile Octopus is a smart tariff you need to actively switch to (not a standard or default tariff) so is not governed by the Price Cap. The rates will not be directly impacted by the change to the Price Cap on 1 October, however they will continue to change based on half-hourly wholesale prices.

Hope that helps.

This question and answer came about during the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event in Sep 2023. It won't be updated so may no longer be correct at time of reading. This info does not constitute financial advice: always do your own research on top to make sure it's right for your circumstances.

Comments

• MSE_Clare
    Options
    Hi jaceyboy

Agile Octopus is a smart tariff you need to actively switch to (not a standard or default tariff) so is not governed by the Price Cap. The rates will not be directly impacted by the change to the Price Cap on 1 October, however they will continue to change based on half-hourly wholesale prices.

Hope that helps.
  • jaceyboy
    Options
    MSE_Clare said:

Hi jaceyboy

Hope that helps.

If prices are coming down I should imagine so will the half hour costs...
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All I can suggest is please don't move to this tariff as you don't understand how it works. 
  • jaceyboy
    Options
    la531983 said:
    All I can suggest is please don't move to this tariff as you don't understand how it works. 
    What? ive been on it for 4 months!!
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 September 2023 at 1:09PM
    Options
    jaceyboy said:
    la531983 said:
    With all due respect your posts suggest you dont have an full understanding of it. The price cap has absolutely nothing to do with this tarriff.  You could be paying 90/100p for some half hours on this tariff in December whilst most of the country will be paying 27p.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    jaceyboy said:
    MSE_Clare said:

Hi jaceyboy

Hope that helps.

You probably represent a number of new to tracker and Octopus people since its popularity was a HotUKDeals. I see many of them on other sites believing tracker prices will fall with the October price cap fall.

That just isn't the case.
  • jaceyboy
    Options
    jaceyboy said:
    MSE_Clare said:

Hi jaceyboy

Hope that helps.

You probably represent a number of new to tracker and Octopus people since its popularity was a HotUKDeals. I see many of them on other sites believing tracker prices will fall with the October price cap fall.

That just isn't the case.
    Nope, I asked Octopus and they have confirmed the prices might drop due to wholesale prices dropping, so there you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jaceyboy
    Options
    la531983 said:
    jaceyboy said:
    la531983 said:
    With all due respect your posts suggest you dont have an full understanding of it. The price cap has absolutely nothing to do with this tarriff.  You could be paying 90/100p for some half hours on this tariff in December whilst most of the country will be paying 27p.
    Seems you have no idea to me...
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jaceyboy said:
    la531983 said:
    jaceyboy said:
    la531983 said:
    Insightful. 
  • jaceyboy
    Options
    la531983 said:
    jaceyboy said:
    la531983 said:
    jaceyboy said:
    la531983 said:
    Insightful. 
    Ace ventura
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family