🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What age should you be debt free by on average?

Options
Considering you go to university and have a mortgage, what age is realistic to become debt free

Comments

• copperclock
    Options
    I don't think that student loans or mortgage truly counts at debt. Not in the same way as consumer debt. Also, many people will be paying off student loans until retirement because of they way they work these days.

In fact, many people will be paying off mortgages into retirement because they're buying houses later and later (if at all).
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It would be good to be debt-free when you die, to make things easier for your executors. Any time before then would also be good...

Just how long is a piece of string?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,719 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are too many variables to give a definitive answer to that question. Student debt now varies widely due to the different schemes and ability to pay due to salary. Some will never pay it off. Mortgages also vary according to whereabouts in the country you live as some are more affordable areas than others. I am not even sure why you are asking as surely an average age to be debt free is irrelevant as we all have different circumstances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,063 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think not getting into debt in the first place is what people should strive for, but in the real world, that is of course impractical, you cant really pin it down to a specific age, its all about circumstances really, debt only becomes a problem when you struggle to repay it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I’m sure we’d all like to be completely debt free by retirement...
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    Agree with copper clock, good debt (as MSE) can be classed as Student loans plus mortgage.

Mortgage term tends to be 25 years , so if take mortgage in mid 20's, mortgage free by 50's approx.

If you 'learn' at young age about finances, managing your money, saving for 'things' then you should be debt free for most of your life. Unless unexpected financial catastrophe occurs.

Key is to save instead of borrow, learn about personal finances and don't jump into hasty decisions, know where you are financially every day, accrue for medium term expenses, and spend less than you earn !
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take a mortgage at mid 20s? In reality that won't happen for most people these days, except those with the bank of mum and dad of course or the very lucky!

It's a very broad question. I used to be debt free, then I got into debt. Now I hope to be debt free by the age of 33/34. I also still rent, so no mortgage for me (quite possibly ever if I still want to live in London!)

But other people may be debt free earlier or later. There's no right or wrong answer. If you're in debt, the most realistic is whatever you can afford.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My aim for years was to be totally debt free by the age of 50 I achieved this at the age of 52,
  • henrik1971
    Options
    I think most people want their liabilities for debts to end before they retire - so mid 60's. If they can do it sooner - great.

I think the big change i've noticed with colleagues and friends in recent years, is that people are working longer even if they are mortgage free and have made financial provision for their old age. Five or ten years ago I used to know quite a few people retiring in their early 50's. Now they are working on - usually either to assist children getting on the housing ladder, or to fund 'Escape to the Country' type aspirational retirements, around-the-world cruises or holiday apartments in Spain.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say to be completely debt free including mortgage in your 50's is a good goal. I hope to be mortgage free by my 50th birthday but it will take a lot of commitment and a bit of luck.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family