Does anyone wash their PV solar panels?

Options
mmmmikey
mmmmikey Posts: 1,644 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 August 2017 at 10:35PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Hi, just moved to a house with solar panels and having fun playing with energy monitors. Quick questions - does anyone wash their panels? How, DIY, window cleaner or professional service? Is it worthwhile?

Comments

• gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi mmmmikey
    Yes every year in march with rain water.
    If you use tap water the chemicals will leave stains and marks on the panels. also be careful that you use something that is not abrasive.
    most of the time the rain will keep them clean.
    But if you have trees or a lot of bird poo it is worth taking a look now and again to see if you have a problem.
    regards
    gefnew
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There have been several threads on this over the years, with mixed opinions.

As I understand the Rent a Roof firms don't routinely wash panels, it is probably not required for the majority of cases.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will depend on the pitch of the roof. Ours are at 45 degrees which is fine but I have read somewhere that below maybe 30 or 35 degrees rain alone won't keep them clean.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    It will depend on the pitch of the roof. Ours are at 45 degrees which is fine but I have read somewhere that below maybe 30 or 35 degrees rain alone won't keep them clean.

Mine are at 20d and 30d pitches, I give them a quick clean with an extendy pole thingy every 2 or 3 years, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The advice from the Energy Saving Trust is:
    Solar PV needs little maintenance – you'll just need to keep the panels relatively clean and make sure trees don't begin to overshadow them. In the UK panels that are tilted at 15° or more have the benefit of being cleaned by rainfall to ensure optimal performance. Debris is more likely to accumulate if you have ground mounted panels.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At 17.5 deg slope, our panels are probably shallower than most but still seem to stay reasonably free of dust etc.

I have occasionally hosed them off (I can get to the roof fairly easily and because it's so shallow can stand on it OK) but have never noticed a huge increase after doing so.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do panels have a non-stick coating?
  • Dave_Fowler
    Options
    Do panels have a non-stick coating?
    The panels used on my house roof (Schuco) had a notice with them telling the installers not to touch the surface. These panels have remained exceptionally shiny and clean during the 7 years they have been on the roof. Those fitted to my garage roof (Suntellite) did not have the warning message. Over the past 5 years they have slowly got a film of algae, particularly along the lower 3rd of each panel, When I had an optimiser fail earlier this year I cleaned two of the panels so that I could compare the outputs between these two and the remaining 10. (It's a SolarEdge system with individual panel monitoring). Surprisingly there is no measurable difference between the cleaned and the dirty panels - less than the manufacturing variations between panels.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I had an optimiser fail earlier this year I cleaned two of the panels so that I could compare the outputs between these two and the remaining 10. (It's a SolarEdge system with individual panel monitoring). Surprisingly there is no measurable difference between the cleaned and the dirty panels - less than the manufacturing variations between panels.

Dave F

Cheers, that's good to know as I'd have wrongly thought small difference but noticeable (just). Guess I'll stick with a quick 3 yearly wash ..... if I can be bothered. ;)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all, a useful cross section of replies - I expect this has been covered before but my forum searching skills weren't up to finding this info :)
  • HolmesM
    HolmesM Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    That's a good question :)

Generally, they clean themselves with the rain ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure