Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • don9999
    • By don9999 24th Jun 08, 1:52 PM
    • 505Posts
    • 140Thanks
    don9999
    0 WOW
    Holidays for 'family of 5'
    • 24th Jun 08, 1:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Holidays for 'family of 5' 24th Jun 08 at 1:52 PM
    I'm sure I can't be the 'only' family of 5 on the forum.....
    We have three children, aged 9, 6 and 4.
    We have usually managed one holiday each year since the eldest was born.
    In the early days, things were relatively easy - but when the youngest turned 2, things got a LOT harder.......finding hotels that can accommodate 5 is VERY hard to do.....

Web searches will often ask for number and ages of children, and list numerous available holidays. But then when you select for more information, you find that the rooms can only accommodate 3 or 4, and you end up getting costed for 2 rooms! Which is 'usually' very expensive!

We've often been to a Thomson Family hotel and been pretty happy with them - especially the fact that there is daily entertainment especially targeted at the children eg. kid's discos, party games etc. A few years ago we went to the Corfu Plaza hotel, which could accommodate 5 in a 2-bed appartement, and was reasonably priced.

Last year we settled for a Keycamp holiday, staying in a mobile home for a couple of weeks in Vendee, France. Reasonable price, nice pool etc. (though kid's entertainment not as good as at Thomsons.) The only downside was the drive there and back - and the weather wasn't brilliant.

This year, we'd like to try a package holiday again. So it's back to the arduous trawl through brochures and web-sites etc... looking for something suitable, but not costing the earth!

I thought I'd start a thread where us 'family of 5's could discuss our options etc...

Please feel free to add your experiences, and most importantly, what you are considering (or have booked) for this year...

Cheers,
    Don

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 01-07-2008 at 6:10 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 24th Jun 08, 1:59 PM
    • 18,840 Posts
    • 7,931 Thanks
    richardw
    • 24th Jun 08, 1:59 PM
    Perhaps just search for the 2 bed apartments.

The south of France on the med has good weather and you can fly there on BA, ryanair and easyJet - plenty of mobile home and self catering options.
    • amberviolet
    • By amberviolet 24th Jun 08, 1:59 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    amberviolet
    I totally agree we too are family of 5. We booked menorca for august which took ages to find somewhere that would sleep 5 and entertain different ages. Also we are going to disneyland paris in september but are having to drive and stay in davy crocketts ranch as it is the cheapest option as the other disney hotels sleep 4 to a room. You would think these holiday places would of cottoned on by now that more people have more than two children.
  • luvcruise
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:37 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:37 PM
    Well could not refrain from commenting. Yeah am also leading a family of five and more than anything else I guess it would be good for me to get tips from the other experienced people about how they handle their toddlers in trips. Finding a place is difficult alright but managing them is something more serious an issue I feel. Incidentally this was only my first travel since our third kid was born and he is 2 years old. The trip was totally a mess for me and I do not want the same happening to me again, think your suggestions are going to help me a lot in this regard.
    holiday villa Portugal
    • don9999
    • By don9999 24th Jun 08, 2:47 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:47 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:47 PM
    Amberviolet - we went to Euro disney last December. We took TWO rooms in the Santa Fe. But only used one! It was still cheaper than any other option.

Personally I'd recommend visiting Eurodisney in December (I've done it three times now), so long as it is (a) during 'our' school holidays, (b) is during the week, and (c) is NOT when the Paris children are on holiday. I've managed it three times in the last 4 or 5 years. Parks are busy, but queuing times are no longer than 5-10 minutes, we often stayed on rides over and over again without getting off. In comparison, Saturday was a waste of time (which I assume the Sumemr holidays are too) as the parks are completely packed, and queuing times are 1-1.5 hours minmum.

OK, December is cold! So you need to wrap up. But the kids love the Christmas atmosphere etc.... I'd highly recommend it!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
    • don9999
    • By don9999 24th Jun 08, 2:53 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:53 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:53 PM
    Anyway.....back to finding a Summer holiday.....

So far, the best I have found are:
    Majorca - Son Baulo TWO rooms. HB = £3200
    Majorca - Coma Cran, ONE room, SC = £3740
    Tenerife - Fiesta Oasis Paraiso, TWO rooms, HB = £3150
    Tenerife - Villa Mandi, TWO rooms, SC = £3143

I haven't started finessing any prices yet, they are just taken off the Thomson web site. However, they are all FAR too expensive for me at the moment.
    Will spent a little longer, and then look over at the Keycamp/Eurocamp prices....

Has anyone else booked anywhere for this Summer at a reasonable price?
    Or is anyone looking?

Cheers,
    Don
  • asandwhen
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:57 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:57 PM
    what dates - I will have a look round for you
    • don9999
    • By don9999 24th Jun 08, 3:05 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    • 24th Jun 08, 3:05 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 3:05 PM
    Appreciate your help :-)

'Any' times during the school holidays....
    Starting 18th July, through to 31st August....

Cheers,
    Don
  • asandwhen
    • 24th Jun 08, 3:10 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 3:10 PM
    Appreciate your help :-)

'Any' times during the school holidays....
    Starting 18th July, through to 31st August....

Cheers,
    Don
    Originally posted by don9999
    which airport? - do you want 2 weeks?
    • don9999
    • By don9999 24th Jun 08, 3:16 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    Oops, sorry...didn't give you much info to go on....

We're in South Wales, so would prefer Cardiff or Bristol, but would be prepared to travel as far as London.
    Yes, preference is for 2 weeks ( or thereabouts).
    Kids are 9, 6 and 4.
    Also prefer a family friendly hotel eg. Thomason Family, or equivalent from other operators.

Thanks again, Don.
  • asandwhen
    I have found the Club Belle Vue Alcudia majorca with airtours on 5th aug from cardiff for 2404 - booked on thomas cook website

still looking.............
    • Smi1er
    • By Smi1er 24th Jun 08, 4:12 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Smi1er
    Bit late booking now surely? We too are a family of 5 and when I booked in Feb my first four choices were fully booked. We're off to Vendee sataying at a camp similar to Keycamp but booked direct (you save at least 25% once ferry crossings are taken into account)

We're off to France and find the DVD player for the car we bought (the 150 one that fits to the back of the headrests) is brill and keeps the kids happy. They're currently working there way through Dr Who!!

We don't really want kids entertainment because it's a family holiday so we play with the kids ourselves. When we went to Brittany last year our most popular game was how many people we could soak when coming off the water slide! 1 pt for getting someone wet, extra point if you soaked them, 2 extra points if you got their camera/camcorder, bonus two pts if they were a lifeguard!
    • don9999
    • By don9999 24th Jun 08, 4:25 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    We went to Vendee last year, booked through Keycamp, and a pretty good deal. Unfortunately weather wasn't brilliant.

We drove down one afternoon, across the Chunnel and stayed in a cheapo Formula One hotel in France. Then on to the campsite the next day within a few hours. (Drove all the way home to South Wales in one go!)

Had a pretty good time (barring the weather) but DID miss the evening entertainment. I appreciate what you say, and we don't put the kids in day-time clubs etc, as it's a 'family holiday' and we want to spend the time together. Indeed, even in Vendee, we'd spend one or two days at the pool, and the alternate days at the beach, or visiting some other local village etc.

However, come the evening, the kids always enjoy the kids disco and party games, along with the other children when staying at a family hotel (a la Thomsons). They also enjoy 'some' of the following adult entertainment.

Would consider campsite again, but wouldn't want to go to Vendee again, and would prefer somewhere further south - although this means more driving...... Nothing is ever perfect...lol...

I agree it IS late, but circumstances have meant I couldn't book anything earlier.

Not looking good though......
    • richardw
    • By richardw 24th Jun 08, 4:33 PM
    • 18,840 Posts
    • 7,931 Thanks
    richardw
    BTW Ryanair fly from Bristol to Beziers in the South of France

Accomodation http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/France/Languedoc-Roussillon/Herault/r113.htm
    • mummytofour
    • By mummytofour 24th Jun 08, 4:42 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    mummytofour
    We are a family of 7 and have given up, we ar egoing camping for 10 days in Weymouth and saving the rest of the money towards an xmas holiday with luck. Good luck I am sick of rip off August already!
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
    • Smi1er
    • By Smi1er 24th Jun 08, 5:13 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Smi1er
    I don't find it a rip off as supply equals demand, and you need to book early to get what you want. We have already booked May half term next year (booked in April!).

If you're going with the likes of Keycamp then simply google the camp name and book direct! You can pay for the channel crossing with Tesco clubcard vouchers.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 25th Jun 08, 6:14 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Have a look at Canvas Holidays, in the late deals they have 14 days in August for around £1000. Friends went a few years ago and have 3 children similar ages.
  • hitch
    WWW.CENTERPARCS.COM

De Kempervennen Holland

Very cheap flights from Stansted to Eindhoven, only 20 minutes to the park

Kids will love it
  • Dustywallet
    we are a family of five and for the past couple of years we have booked with travel republic. When you do a search on this site it only brings up rooms that can accomodate all members of your party. Last year we went to sharm el sheik and had a room for 5. This year we have booked to go to turkey on July 21st, we have got a room for 6 half board for 1800 :-)
  • dtb
    Family of 5
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean. We have a holiday booked mid-July - taken the 2 youngest out of school for a week - with French Freedom Holidays. Got in on their special offer of 7 nights, 4 star site, 499! Have paid the supplement to use Brittany Ferries as it saves the long, long (and mostly dull) drive down from Calais, plus fuel and 1 overnight stop.

The early offer is now closed, but they may be worth a try for late deals. I have not used them before, but the mobile homes look new. You don't get as many goodies in the travel pack as with Keycamp/Eurocamp (the same company, incidentally), but they're waaaay cheaper! With report back after the holiday. In my experience (I worked for one of these companies for nearly 10 years at a fairly senior level), there isn't a massive amount to choose between them. They are frequently cheaper then booking direct with the site and a separate ferry, especially off-season where the prices are amazingly low.

Then booked 3 nights Paris with Cities Direct of Cheltenham - very good deal, hotel near Eiffel Tower.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,192Posts Today

9,367Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin