Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    Home Insurance Discussion 17th Jun 08 at 11:35 AM

This discussion relates to the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

If you've reduced the amount of your home insurance with cashback please report your success to encourage others
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Page 30
    • wadbanage
    • By wadbanage 29th Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wadbanage
    Out 'Eco' house has a Green Roof installed by a company called Bauder, I understand its a very high quality construction from a well regarded company however most insurance companies dont seem to know about it and even phoning them they have no idea what it is. Most just revert back to stating that if it is tile or asphalt etc then they cover it and otherwise they don't. Green roofs are not that uncommon so I wonder if anyone here has a green roof and can say who they insure with?
    • sarahemmm
    • By sarahemmm 30th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    sarahemmm
    Is contents insurance worth it?
    My advice would be to never use contents insurance...
    Originally posted by baldeagle09
    Do the sums: you have insured for 30 years at a cost of (lets say) 150 pa. If you had to replace all of your contents, would it cost you more than 30 x 150? If so, then your insurance is worthwhile.

You can do the same with buildings insurance... but don't forget that would need to include the cost of accommodation for about a year while the house is first argued over and then rebuilt!

• dacouch
    • By dacouch 30th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 20,600 Posts
    • 12,765 Thanks
    dacouch
    Do the sums: you have insured for 30 years at a cost of (lets say) 150 pa. If you had to replace all of your contents, would it cost you more than 30 x 150? If so, then your insurance is worthwhile.

You can do the same with buildings insurance... but don't forget that would need to include the cost of accommodation for about a year while the house is first argued over and then rebuilt!

Originally posted by sarahemmm
    My house burnt down 8 months into my first policy...
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 24th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    condoghost
    Time to look again at this Cheap Home Insurance?
    Followed the advice and steps looking at every site listed, comparing the results of each, finally selecting MoneySuperMarket One Call Insurance Price Cut except the final outcome after 4-hours of solid work turned out to be very disappointing, a definite waste of money when it comes to inclusive Home Emergency Cover and Legal Cover.

The information provided upfront before we move forward is far from satisfactory as to what is and what is not included in the basic/standard Home Emergency Cover and Legal Cover in any of the quotes.

I've always been impressed with MoneySavingExpert and always found you the best by far with advice but in this instance I would strongly advise MoneySavingExpert take a look again at this Cheap Home Insurance Section to see where it can be improved.

MoneySavingExpert should have a look at Home Emergency Cover and Legal Cover, perhaps to include a note in the "Home insurance need-to-knows", perhaps even pointing us to check out comparisons for Home Emergency Cover and Legal Cover before we continue with Step 1 The Top Comparison Sites for Home Insurance.

I see now the disappointment with MoneySuperMarket More Information not clearly detailing what is and what is not Standard for Home Emergency Cover and Legal Cover.

It is only after clicking the "Go To Site" button and after completing the payment process that we are presented with Optional Cover Recommendations Upsell Home Emergency Cover to "discover" the Standard Home Emergency Cover is almost "worthless" not covering the essentials of Heating, Boiler and so forth which is in the region of an extra 40.00. All this after the Building and Contents insurance has been purchased, and the same goes with Legal Cover!

This information is not clear upfront before we are prompted by MoneySuperMarket to "Go To Site" and it ought to be. The same is evident in real terms with the other comparison sites too - CompareTheMarket, Gocompare, Confused, Quotezone.

I'll not be falling into this trap same time next year
    A warning to everyone especially those who can least afford it
    Last edited by condoghost; 23-04-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    • mansnothot
    • By mansnothot 19th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mansnothot
    Beware of MoreThan!!!!! Ive been wait for over a month regarding a claim everytime I try and track a claim on they're site they keep saying they are looking into it? They're phonelines are always busy and they are still taking money off me!!!
    • SuzanneF
    • By SuzanneF 22nd Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SuzanneF
    Unethical
    My uncle is 93 and has Alzheimer's.
    I have recently discovered what he has been paying for house insurance.
    60 per month to Nat West. Spoke to Nat West - now have exactly the same policy for 30 per month.
    PLUS
    504.03 per annum to Homeserve. Rang to cancel this and was immediately offered exactly the same policy at half price! No thank you!
    My uncle doesn't understand auto renewal and can't use a computer. Old people are so vulnerable.
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 23rd Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    condoghost
    Auto renewal? Why is it we get to do all of this online EXCEPT when it comes to cancelling auto renewal where we are forced to be making a phone call? Even canceling direct debit directly with online banking doesn't work. The company still goes ahead and processes the direct debit, and the bank honors it!

I paid with PayPal this year. Maybe cancelling that mandate directly with PayPal will stop the auto renewal next year.

At least then I can raise it with PayPal online directly if it doesn't.
    Last edited by condoghost; 23-04-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added more info
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 23rd Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 37,524 Posts
    • 21,732 Thanks
    Quentin
    Cancelling the method of payment isn't the way to cancel a contract.

The other side can still pursue you for their money, and in the case of insurance can mean you end up with a cancelled policy on your record to disclose to other insurers you approach for quotes for evermore

(Though you do look to have grounds to complain to your bank who you say processed a DD payment after you had cancelled the DD at the bank)
    • southantrim3
    • By southantrim3 30th Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 1,564 Thanks
    southantrim3
    Post Office
    So... last year my home insurance with Direct Line was 157.30, which I thought was quite good.

Then this year, the renewal quote was 218.40 - stuff that I thought.
    After a bit of browsing around on here, I went to the Post Office who quoted me 170.16 (like for like with Direct Line cover.) Thanks very much MSE
    Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 30th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 6,421 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    Ken68
    Went into Notts bs last week, they asked can they quote for Home Insurance, so I dug out the original Admiral documents and the new quote from Royal Insurance was more than 120 for the same cover.
    • mansnothot
    • By mansnothot 17th Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mansnothot
    can someone else pay house insurance
    Hi there, Iam going to buy a property soon and was wondering since I won't be living in it only my family can they pay the home insurance instead of me? Also Its only going to be building cover as we don't own much stuff. Many Thanks
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 22,563 Posts
    • 11,184 Thanks
    lisyloo
    If it's your building then you need to insure it in your name.
    If you want to charge your family then that's fine (subject to income tax, stmp duty, CGT for it not being your home).
    • djw1066
    • By djw1066 19th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djw1066
    Losse as well as claims
    You should declare any claim. Whether it's accidental damage or not isn't relevant.
    Originally posted by _Andy_
    Insurers typically require you to declare "losses" as well as claims, even if you haven't actually made a claim in respect of the loss. But where does that stop? I have cover for personal possessions outside the home. I accidentally leave a 5p ballpoint pen behind at a caf!. That's a "loss" and it's theoretically covered by insurance (even though below the excess). So am I supposed to declare that? There's usually no space on online comparison sites to give further details of "losses" - just the fact that you have suffered a "loss". What should I do?
    • First Time Landlord
    • By First Time Landlord 7th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    First Time Landlord
    Yeah, that's the right idea! I get rather frustrated with companies just changing the price to suit them. Energy companies are another one.

I found talking to a broker helpful and once i started to ask what deals they could do me i dug a little deeper and the agnet said they had wine offer they could offer me.. seemed a pretty good deal and the cover was good.

Got to love a freebie!
    • First Time Landlord
    • By First Time Landlord 7th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    First Time Landlord
    Gotta love a deal
    So... last year my home insurance with Direct Line was 157.30, which I thought was quite good.

Then this year, the renewal quote was 218.40 - stuff that I thought.
    After a bit of browsing around on here, I went to the Post Office who quoted me 170.16 (like for like with Direct Line cover.) Thanks very much MSE
    Originally posted by southantrim3
    Try this next time - We found this after asking what deals they had on.
    Alan Boswell Group Virgin Wines Offer
    • sallysaver
    • By sallysaver 11th Aug 18, 1:40 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    sallysaver
    Earlier this year, my friend moved in with her long term partner. She rented her property out to a friend's son and his wife. At this point, my friend insured her house (buildings only) and paid a little under 200 at the beginning of March for the premium. The tenants expressed an interest to buy said property and long story short the purchase was completed just this week.

She has just spoken to the insurance Company involved and whilst not expecting a huge refund on the remaining 7 months on the policy expected something back. There is no refund. Surely this cannot be right? Can anyone advise if the info she has been given is, indeed correct. Thank you
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 6,785 Posts
    • 19,657 Thanks
    Doc N
    Earlier this year, my friend moved in with her long term partner. She rented her property out to a friend's son and his wife. At this point, my friend insured her house (buildings only) and paid a little under 200 at the beginning of March for the premium. The tenants expressed an interest to buy said property and long story short the purchase was completed just this week.

She has just spoken to the insurance Company involved and whilst not expecting a huge refund on the remaining 7 months on the policy expected something back. There is no refund. Surely this cannot be right? Can anyone advise if the info she has been given is, indeed correct. Thank you
    Originally posted by sallysaver
    It's impossible to say without looking at the individual company's refund policy. Normally there's a calculation involving a pro rata refund for the period involved, less an admin charge. Sometimes the admin charge exceeds the pro rata refund, so there's nothing to refund.

If that's the case here (and it may well not be - we don't know the refund policy) I'd have expected a refund of around 100, but if the admin charge is 100 it will be wiped out.

Why not just ask them to explain why there's no refund, though?
    • ediesonlighthouse
    • By ediesonlighthouse 11th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ediesonlighthouse
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place - brand new and a bit confused!

My dad died at the end of last year, so I'm taking over organising everything for my mum, who is very uncomfortable with finances. Problem is, I'm 19 and still live at home so haven't done a lot of these things myself before.

Home insurance is coming up for renewal - always been in my dad's name, with my mum as a joint policyholder, but obviously now she will be the primary policyholder. My dad has 10 years of no claims bonus, with mum as a joint policyholder, so does that mean she also has this no claims bonus? Or does she start from scratch now that she's on her own?

I would assume she also has the 10 years no claims, but I'm very wary of putting this and then finding insurance wouldn't pay out if there was a problem - any help would be much appreciated!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 6,785 Posts
    • 19,657 Thanks
    Doc N
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place - brand new and a bit confused!

My dad died at the end of last year, so I'm taking over organising everything for my mum, who is very uncomfortable with finances. Problem is, I'm 19 and still live at home so haven't done a lot of these things myself before.

Home insurance is coming up for renewal - always been in my dad's name, with my mum as a joint policyholder, but obviously now she will be the primary policyholder. My dad has 10 years of no claims bonus, with mum as a joint policyholder, so does that mean she also has this no claims bonus? Or does she start from scratch now that she's on her own?

I would assume she also has the 10 years no claims, but I'm very wary of putting this and then finding insurance wouldn't pay out if there was a problem - any help would be much appreciated!
    Originally posted by ediesonlighthouse
    Very sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure your mum's very much appreciating your help.

In this situation I think for safety's sake it's best to check with the insurer. If you're planning to stay with the same one I'm sure they'd be very happy just to transfer over (if that's necessary) the 10 year NCB.

If they are at all reluctant to do it, a little gentle negotiation with them to put it to them that they'll lose a claim-free policy might help!
    • sallysaver
    • By sallysaver 12th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 728 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    sallysaver
    Thank you very much for your advice. It is much appreciated. On her behalf, I have taken a look at the T&C's regarding her insurance. They charge 50 for cancellations so on that basis I think there should be something to be refunded. She is easily 'taken for a ride' and would just accept straightaway what the CSA said with no questions asked. I am going to try and persuade her to ring again. She actually paid 193.81 on 9/03/2018 and rang to cancel it on 9/082018 so in effect, circa 5 months. There were no claims.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,972Posts Today

6,061Users online

Martin's Twitter