HELLO From New Zealand

Comments

• taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Sounds like you're having a really hard time at the moment and thast you're overwhelmed.Rather than tackling everything at once I'd write a list and then prioritse the problems and deal with one at a time
  • Oh it is good to see you Chev, sorry things are crappy. I suppose hubby believes in the magic washing and housework fairies that do all the work then........hmmm.

please continue to get it all off you chest xxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And then we have the ongoing YES STILL crap with our house in the uk.

The other side of the fence are going to take us all the way to trial. This is despite the fact that the now former pub, is owned by an estate of one of the richest men in the country..... SIGH.

So anyway, we are here, the case is to be tried in the UK. We are going through the depositions and all that stuff at the moment, but they are now saying that the court date will be the first available date after the 16th December. DECEMBER! So not only have we got to wait THAT LONG AGAIN to get this sorted, there is a good chance, that OH will be away for Christmas, OH JOY!

We asked if we could 'be in court' so to speak via SKYPE/video link etc. But nope they are not into the 20th century yet, so the technology is not available, So how the heck is available for scrotes from prison to give evidence via a video link, or young children for that matter?

So we ask if we win, would the air ticket be included in out costs to be reclaimed. NOPE. Now bear in mind I have already been back to the UK twice this year with my dad, and you can understand how financially painful to hear this is.

Hopefully, only OH will have to go back. But if they decide they need witness statements from both of us, then that would mean we would BOTH have be available for cross examination in the court in the UK. So what the heck are we supposed to do with the kids? There is no one here we could really ask for them to have them for at least a week, it would be pushing the bounds of an established friendship. So that may mean we ALL have to come back, so 4x tickets on the plane is about $10000.( And to be honest if we all go back at that point, there is a fairly high chance I will say sod this we are staying......:o)

I know it will be worth it if we successfully defend the claim, and OH has to keep on telling me that it will all be well, but when they are suggesting that they would settle for £25k NOW, rather than £50k if we lose in court, it is hard to hold ones nerve. And if we do stay we REALLY need all the money we can possibly realise from the sale of our UK house, so that we can buy something decent here.

I am SO TIRED of making do, I want somewhere that is weather tight, has no drafts, is MINE is big enough for all of us to not have clutter everywhere, etc etc.

In an ideal world, we will get this house we are waiting on. And it will be fine.

I will get the job I have applied for and it will be fine

We will find the money for one day school and DS1 will bloom.

DS2 will stop being a mouthy git and have a great year of sport.

But right now I just want to GO HOME and be in a country where at least I can call my friends up for a winge, where I can blag a cheap couple of weeks in france helping my friends rebuild their house, whilst the kids just muck about.....And be in a country where I understand a) the actual rules of the country, but more importantly understand the social rules. I have still made no girly friends here. I have tried to be on committees etc, I have asked people round for coffee, they come and then I don't get asked back. Isn't that how it is meant to work?

I think at least in part it is because I have an opinion I have a problem. They definitely have an issue with tall poppy syndrome here.

I just WISH it wasn't so hard. We have had a beautiful few weeks here weather wise, but I haven't enjoyed them as much as I should, as a) the house is always cold and that is so sapping, and b) don't feel we can spend any money going anywhere to enjoy the sun not even petrol to get to the local country parks. DS1 needs a new bike which puts the kybosh on going cycling in the park.

It all comes down to goddam money. We know we would be better off in the UK. OH would be earning nearly twice as much. And I would be able to be back at work now too....You just don't realise how having a small population means so few jobs to try and get. Ie in the 'county' of Rodney there are 13 part time jobs advertised, this is a county the size of say Warwickshire....so you can see how hard it is to get anything.

I can't sew well enough to make stuff, I bl00dy hate ironing so much that I still haven't unpacked my ironing board after being here 3 years, I don't have mentoring talents or stuff like that. And to top if off I am SHY. I hate putting myself out there. And it is made worse by having a front that means people don't realise this about me.

aaah right time to stop,
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh it is good to see you Chev, sorry things are crappy. I suppose hubby believes in the magic washing and housework fairies that do all the work then........hmmm.

please continue to get it all off you chest xxxx

thanks buffy, rant no two below
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Kimsmum
    Kimsmum Posts: 221 Forumite
    Hi, I understand how you feel I am from Northern Ireland lived in Wellington for three years and I worked but never had friends.
    Then moved to Australia stayed a few years then came home.
    Hope everything turns out the best for you.
    Taking it one day at a time
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there an ex-pat community close enough for you to meet and greet some Brits abroad? I know its not why you move overseas but it might help to see someone once in a while who is another fish out of water too.

It might seem like the grass is greener elsewhere but the sheer volume of unemployed over here and the way the cost of everything is spiraling out of control you may well find things are just as bad here.

Hope today is a better day for you.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • It does sound quite grim Chev. Especially with the annoying things going on at home. Waiting and seeing for ANYTHING sucks. December. !!!!!!.

Do you like New Zealand? Is it as beautiful as Lord of the Rings suggests? (lol)

Why did you move there in the first place? (just to see if you still feel the same)

I do wish I could give you a hug.

I always suggest this but could you do something like Dog walking? shopping for old ladies? Can you volunteer in a Charity Shop?

TO be honest I can imagine these ideas seem very silly, things don't sound good. I would find it Very hard to hold my nerve re the court case. more hugs.

I think the best thing you can do is keep posting here, you aren't alone, I know online isn't the same as literally popping in for a coffee but you do have friends, you can make friends and you will make friends! My sister had this problem in America, took her AGES.

I would say at this point with the possibility of having to go home in December I would go all out with coffee invites and the job applications and think sod it, if its all still going tits up you can say you have given absolutely your best shot. I think for you that would be important, to look back say actually even tho it was hard I stuck it out and did all I could to follow the dream of living in NZ, regardless of whether it works or not. THis is when we are both 83 and in an old people's home :) and comparing stories!

As for OH, eeek. does he like it there? Do you ever see much of him? what does he think about the gifted school and or coming home? Can he clean the sodding oven (as IF you would do that whilst you are still living there, it is cleaned on the last day cos you are using up till then)

hugs

Love Buffy xxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I agree with Buffy.
    Sorry things are so tough.
    :eek: to your DH being able to earn twice as much here.
    Time for lots of thought I think.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Don't know what to say Chev so a dodgy hug coming your way :grouphug:

DTxx
  • Hi Chev,

An awful lot seems to have happened in your life since I was last on the boards and read your diary :(

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your dad, I empathise with all that you're feeling just now :heart: I still feel the loss of mine keenly, even after 3 years have passed.

I feel humbled and grateful at your kindness in posting on my diary recently, whilst you've been dealing with your own issues ... thank you :A

As others have said, let it out if you need to ... whilst it's not the same as having "real" friends around you ... people are here for support :)

Thinking of you and wishing you well
    G'Angel xx
    ~ On the Road to Making Dreams Happen ~
    January £10 a Day Challenge £ 0.00 / £750 - (Running Total £1,512.11)
    52 Week Challenge £ 0.00 / £1,378

Debt Owed £23,200 / £19,251 - Mtge Owed Bal £140,000 / £130,940 - Total Debt Balance Owed : £163,200 / £150,191
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure