Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hollylou
    Online Scam Website Wii Fit (zavvi impersonation)
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:19 PM
    Online Scam Website Wii Fit (zavvi impersonation) 14th Jun 08 at 10:19 PM
    I really hope someone will be able to help me on this one, my partner managed to order a wii fit from what he thought was a Zavvi (virgin megastore) website. The site took 69.99 from us and sent us confirmation via email, he gave our full address (for delivery) bank details (for payment) and stupidly our home telephone number. He visited the site again today (www.zavvidirect.com) and it has now dissappeared. I phoned my bank, had his card cancelled but they said they could do nothing for the money we lost.

Does anyone know what we an do to get this back? if anything? Also the address/phone number is a worry.

Would be V grateful for a response. Many Thanks HLM:confused:
Page 1
  • happydylbob
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:24 PM
    Zavvi Scam
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:24 PM
    I am in the same boat, really worried my bank sent a fraud form off for me but they said they don't know if I can get anything back because I authorised the payment. Surely they can't just get away with it.
  • mountainchrisriver
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:28 PM
    Well sure you both paid using credit card... so just get your card companies to sort out a refund...
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Jun 08, 10:28 PM
    • 33,402 Posts
    • 39,455 Thanks
    Browntoa
    this gives full decription of the owner and address

http://whois.domaintools.com/zavvidirect.com

but supect its a made up address
    Last edited by Browntoa; 14-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hollylou
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:30 PM
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:30 PM
    Well mine (HSBC) didnt even offer to do that, they did say about the authorisation thing though which i suppose is fair enough but supposedly there are hoax websites all over, what do other people do? Im a bit old fasioned for a young person, I prefer to buy direct rather than online, always a little paranoid, with my partner was the same!
  • hollylou
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:31 PM
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:31 PM
    Just used a debi card unfortunately, though I'm not sure of what difference it makes, I need to be a bit more clued up!!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Jun 08, 10:34 PM
    • 33,402 Posts
    • 39,455 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:34 PM
    • 14th Jun 08, 10:34 PM
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7195603

post 7

However people have confirmed after contacting protx that they have had successful refunds but that would be from protx and not Zavvidirect.

contact address is support@protx.com.

contact number will be: 0845 111 4455
    Last edited by Browntoa; 14-06-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 14th Jun 08, 11:05 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 14th Jun 08, 11:05 PM
    • 14th Jun 08, 11:05 PM
    I hope people get there money, sadly the reality is and I hope I am wrong these scam buckets get off I hope they catch them. I hate scam buckets thieving low life's

• hollylou
    • 14th Jun 08, 11:17 PM
    • 14th Jun 08, 11:17 PM
    Thanks for everyones help. I think I know where to go from here, though my partner informs me that his colleague has lost nearly 300 through protx as today they informed him they would not be giving refunds (worryingly)!

Many Thanks for all the info guys! HLM
    • James
    • By James 15th Jun 08, 9:33 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    James
    I hope you and everyone else gets their money back too, but I'm sorry to agree with Poppycat - I doubt it. (Banking Code extract below)

12.11 If you act without resonable care, and this causes losses, you may be responsible for them.

(Thoughts)
    If the bogus website carried the Visa, MasterCard etc logos' you wonder who is policing the web for these bogus sites.

You'd also wonder:

Where the money ends up? i.e. who opened the account the money disappears into (This is down to Banks Knowing Their Customer).

How the crooks extract money from the Banking System.

(These are questions I'd be asking my card issuer).

Back to reasonable care.

Shopping on the internet - top ten tips (from Trading Standards click here).

or a slightly better presentation of the same info plus links to Howard The Shopping Assistant (From North Somerset Council) click here.

Presume you have reported this to the police?
    Last edited by James; 15-06-2008 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Typos
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Jun 08, 9:46 AM
    • 59,854 Posts
    • 73,043 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    this gives full decription of the owner and address

http://whois.domaintools.com/zavvidirect.com

but supect its a made up address
    Originally posted by Browntoa

Shame, I think you are right. There doesn't appear to be a Steine Road in Brighton, unless someone knows differently? The postcode given relates to Old Steine and at no. 20 there is the Pavilion Business Centre. I expect that's completely unrelated to this scam, I must say.

But I suspect the person lives in or knows Brighton, to be aware of the unusual spelling of Steine in place-names in the area. Maybe those conned could ask their Police contact to see if Brighton Police are aware who the culprit may be, from these details? It may seem to be doing their job for them but if it were me I would mention what Browntoa has found in the quote above, and ask for Brighton Police's input.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Jun 08, 10:01 AM
    • 33,402 Posts
    • 39,455 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Protx work hand in hand with a Merchant account from a bank , the merchant account will normally hold the funds for about 30 days before releasing it to the retailer, some it only 5 days

I'm also under the impression that if your debit card has the visa sign then the Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act still applies like it does on credit cards
  • pricey66
    i cant believe it, but this caught me out too; i thought it was Zavvi so used a debit card thinking i was safe....protx seem to be backing away saying
    its nothing to do with them, my bank allowed the payment to go through even though i rang them before the payment had been processed, so i cancelled my debit card immeadiately.
    i think im going to have to put it down to experience, although im worried if they have used my details for any other transactions before i closed the card, so im checking online regularly.
    on another forum i noticed someone had contacted watchdog on bbc, following his lead i did the same, might be worthwhile if a few others did likewise.
    • mshappy
    • By mshappy 15th Jun 08, 11:07 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    mshappy
    Good luck with getting your money back.
    The website has been removed and now says
    "due to copy right laws from the Official Zavvi Entertainment Ltd we have had to temporaily remove the web site..

Please contact them if you require further information."
    2012 wins! can of deodorant, a personalised Bean, craft show tickets, Top Gear Live Tickets, Case of sourz fusion
  • happydylbob
    zavvi direct scam?
    After looking at the old website it is now saying it has been shut down due to copyright and their is an address and phone number for the proprieter Paul
    Clayton. I have just phoned the mobile number which was answered by someone saying hello Zavvi direct He assured me that they will be receiving the wii fits by Friday an they will be despatched within 4-5 days. I didn't ask for a refund as since this all happened in the first place the bank cancelled my card so am not sure it would work if they did give me a refund as I haven't yet received my new one and even if I had I would be reluctant to give them the new details any ideas?
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 16th Jun 08, 4:18 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    they have another web site still up

Found this interesting still has one web site running
    http://www.rpoints.com/bb/viewtopic....e6 361bfb2b76

• SianyD
    What a nightmare!
    What a nightmare all this is! :confused:

I too purchased a Wii Fit through zavvidirect.co.uk on Friday 13th ...I went to their website site yesterday to get contact details and ask about delivery. I quite literally went when I saw the website had been taken off then dug a bit more and found various forums discussing this.

I contacted Protx and refunds@zavvi-direct.co.uk...Protx we're VERY helpful and responded very quickly...3 times! First two times they advised that they cannot help and to contact the vendor and my bank as soon as possible. The third time they said that they have been assured by the owner of Zavvi Direct, Paul Clayton, that orders placed will be honoured and gave useful contact details as below:

"

Due to copy right laws we have had to remove this web site.
    We have been assured by Paul Clayton that any orders placed will be honoured.
    Because of his assurance we have displayed all contact details that we have available for Mr Paul Clayton.
    Please contact him if you require any further information.
    ZAVVI DIRECT LTD
    20 Old Steine, Brighton, East Sussex ,
    BN1 1EL.

Tel : 0844 8005712
    Mobile : 07824 191 167
    Fax : 0844 8005713
    Email1 : sales@zavvi-direct.co.uk
    Email2 p.clayton66@googlemail.com

"

I later had a reply from Zavvi Direct which said:

"
    Hi,

I confirm the refund has been actioned as requested. It will take 4-5 working days to show back in your account.

Regards

John Manner
    Accounts Department"

It would appear that some others had also had the same reply from them so I will wait and see if the refund comes through.

Apparently Paul Clayton has assured others that he is getting stock of the Wii Fit on Friday 20th June and orders for it will be sent out immediately.

Personally I just want a refund and will buy from a nice humble shop lol.

Hope this helps.
  • chazculham
    :(
    i have also ordered from zavvidirect, i rang the bank pretty much as soon as i ordered as i then became a bit weary, htey cancelled the payment but said that zavvidirect could still take the money and HSBC could not stop them. the money has just been withdrawn from my bank. do we think these will be delivered then or not? and also should i cancel my card?
    many thanks

i have just emailed him, requesting a full refund, now awaiting paul's response, will let you know as soon as anything happens.
    Last edited by chazculham; 17-06-2008 at 9:34 AM. Reason: update.
  • happydylbob
    doin my head in
    I am not sure what is going on. Everyone who asked for a refund is saying that they have been told 4-5 days but I have not actually read of any one who has yet received one nor have I read of anyone who has ever received any type of goods from Zavvi direct. But on the other hand if it is a scam why is there someone still answering calls and replying to emails. :confused:
    • lei_armstrong
    • By lei_armstrong 17th Jun 08, 1:12 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 5,360 Thanks
    lei_armstrong
    I ordered a Wii Fit last Wednesday from Zavvi Direct then cancelled the order and asked for a refund as it all seemed a bit suspicous. I have emailed them twice now and have tried calling them but have got absolutely no response (not even to confirm whether they've received my request for a refund). I have spoken to Protx who were also absolutely useless so just have to see what my bank says, fingers crossed...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

8,052Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin