Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • stressed.mum
    • By stressed.mum 9th Jun 08, 4:29 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    stressed.mum
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:29 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:29 PM
    Hi growingafamily

Some easy things to make with children (in a group) are
    Chocolate Crispy cakes
    Pizza - on french bread, sliced bread, muffins, or use packet of pizza dough?
    biscuits - bit like playdough!

sure other people will have some better ideas

stressed xx
    Hoping to stick to the challenge this year!!
    Make 5 a day for 365 days - started Jan 17

YTD 435/1785
    Cash - 415 Vouchers - 20
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th Jun 08, 4:31 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:31 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:31 PM
    Hi growingafamily,

With a large number of preschool children I would try to keep it as simple as possible. At that age they love decorating things like plain biscuits and fairy cakes with icing, hundreds and thousands etc or what about making top hats?

For healthier options what about making sandwiches or a fruit salad. This website might be helpful: Netmums cooking with kids

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-06-2008 at 4:38 PM.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 9th Jun 08, 4:32 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:32 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:32 PM
    I used to nanny with a couple of families. The kids loved making chocolate crispy cakes - and if you use supermarket brand chocolate and crispies they are expensive

basic cookie dough is easy for them to work with - pop over to the recipe threas for a few recipes. you could then have different toppings for them to decorate with.

ALternatively, you could make plain fairy cakes and then the activity be decorating with plain icing and smarties/hundreds/thousands/fruit etc that way there is no raw egg kicking about etc.

Good luck and have fun
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • pretz
    • By pretz 9th Jun 08, 4:34 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    pretz
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:34 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:34 PM
    you could make a variety of things like pizzas, crispy cakes, fairy cakes and gingerbread men kids will love getting involved with these things but if your really stuck watch big cook little cook on cbeebies as the recipes are aimed at young kids and easy to do although some dont look so nice
  • pange
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:42 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:42 PM
    how about fruit kebabs? have a selection of fruit chunks and the children could push them onto sticks, i no thats not strictly cooking but is quite good fun! could even be dipped into melted chocolate..... yum
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 9th Jun 08, 4:44 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:44 PM
    oooh pink- top hats. I'd forgotten all about them!!!

They are marshmallow stuck in a small blob of chocolate aren't they. yum yum!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Jun 08, 4:56 PM
    • 36,860 Posts
    • 474,383 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:56 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 4:56 PM
    Be very careful to check about allergies etc first though.. we have a little boy at nursery who is severely allergic to egg.. he has to have a day off if they are using eggs in cooking, or be removed to another room.. just touching them sets him off.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • mumoftwo
    • By mumoftwo 9th Jun 08, 5:39 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    mumoftwo
    • 9th Jun 08, 5:39 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 5:39 PM
    For something easy to start with, buy plain rich tea biscuits or digestives and make up some icing, let kids decorate with dolly mixture or smarties etc, quick and easy for a start and if that goes well, progress to making cakes etc. dipping fruit in chocolate, like someone said, sounds good and you can put them in a fairy cake case to set, if it doesn't disappear into their mouths first!
    • lauhol1980
    • By lauhol1980 9th Jun 08, 5:44 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    lauhol1980
    I help out at a toddler group in my local village. The lady that runs it sometimes does cookery with the children. One popular one she does is first thing in the morning she prepares some bread dough. She leaves it to rise and then she gets the kids to give it its second kneading and make it into rolls, cooks it in the oven and then the kids get to eat the bread they've made there and then. We're lucky that the community centre we meet in has an oven. The kids are so proud of the bread 'they've' made.

HTH
    Last edited by lauhol1980; 09-06-2008 at 5:46 PM.
  • homeaway
    How about chocolate truffles, my son when he was little made them at school and loved it.
    Chocolate crispies are easy.
    Little cakes that they can decorate( bake them at home and let them decorate them if oven is a problem)
    Biscuits that they can decorate if you have an oven. Or just buy some plain ones from the shop and let them lose on them !
  • she grinch
    1 Bananas dipped in honey and rolled in hundreds and thousands,
    2 Toddlers can cut shapes from toast with cutters and spread with cheese spread, marmite, honey etc and decorate with raisins, chopped salad or fruit
    3 Marzipan fruit or animals, marzipan can be used like plydough and moulds easily into any shape or rolled and cut.
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch
  • growingafamily
    Thanks for all the ideas, please keep them coming !
    Be very careful to check about allergies etc first though.. we have a little boy at nursery who is severely allergic to egg.. he has to have a day off if they are using eggs in cooking, or be removed to another room.. just touching them sets him off.
    Originally posted by pigpen
    All the parents stay with their children it isn't a drop off and leave group, so all children are supervised by their own mum/dad which makes things much easier.
  • Spares4Bikes
    I have a little madam who is nearly four and who loves cooking with me. I recently acquired Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess book and there's a large section on easy children's recipes. there's Rocky Road marshmallow cakes, plain biscuit dough, cinder toffee, buttermilk cake...the list is endless! There's also a large section on making various types of biscuits, all very easy to do. You can borrow the book from your local library.
  • brenda5432002
    marshmallows dipped in chocolate then rolled in coconut or hundreds and thousands, top them with a smartie, or jelly sweet
  • jcr16
    what about wrap's.

they are be great fun to fill. and then the parents and children can all eat them afterwards in a picnic style lunch.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • sleepybookworm7
    How about Fairy Bread. Butter a slice of bread and sprinkle sprinkles on it. Okay, it's not very healthy, but kids love it
    • LooniesMum
    • By LooniesMum 19th Jun 08, 9:03 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    LooniesMum
    Cooking with preschoolers & allergy awareness
    I have 2 children aged 5 and 3. I am allergic to wheat, milk and egg so everything we make at home contains none of those! Cooking without egg is not a problem for making biscuits but is a bit more tricky for cake. We have a couple of recipes that work well for cake but might be costly to do with a large group because of the special ingredients. We use Dove's Farm wheat free flour and soya milk. We have never found any satisfactory substitute for egg, although a mashed ripe banana works well in fruit cake type recipes! You could buy an allergy cook book (or borrow from the library) to get some more ideas on cooking without egg. Hope that helps!
  • Claire1981
    CBeebies
    Hi

Have you looked at the BBC Cbeebies website, the Big Cook Little Cook web page has quite a few simple recipes that you can print off. There's also loads of activities linked to some of the other characters on the channel, blank pictures to colour in and loads of craft ideas. I've made an In the Night Garden mobile with my little boy.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 19th Jun 08, 4:31 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I have 2 children aged 5 and 3. I am allergic to wheat, milk and egg so everything we make at home contains none of those! Cooking without egg is not a problem for making biscuits but is a bit more tricky for cake. We have a couple of recipes that work well for cake but might be costly to do with a large group because of the special ingredients. We use Dove's Farm wheat free flour and soya milk. We have never found any satisfactory substitute for egg, although a mashed ripe banana works well in fruit cake type recipes! You could buy an allergy cook book (or borrow from the library) to get some more ideas on cooking without egg. Hope that helps!
    Originally posted by LooniesMum
    I have read that a small spoonful of vinegar can be substituted for an egg in a cake mix, although I have never tried this - can anyone confirm this might work?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,610Users online

Martin's Twitter