Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scarlett25
    • By Scarlett25 6th Jun 08, 6:55 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 373Thanks
    Scarlett25
    What to do with leftover bits of cheese?
    • 6th Jun 08, 6:55 PM
    What to do with leftover bits of cheese? 6th Jun 08 at 6:55 PM
    I usually save bits of cheese, put them in the freezer and use for cheese and onion pie, but what does everyone else use them for?

Also, if cheese has spots of green mould on it is it ok to cut them off and eat the rest of the cheese?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 6th Jun 08, 6:57 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    • 6th Jun 08, 6:57 PM
    • 6th Jun 08, 6:57 PM
    I cut the green mold off and it has never harmed me. I have heard that your not meant to do this though. I only do it if its mild. I presume the mold is the same penicillin mold that is used to make blue cheese.

Have a look here for info: -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01024
    Last edited by Bongedone; 06-06-2008 at 6:59 PM.
    • LittleBill
    • By LittleBill 6th Jun 08, 6:58 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    LittleBill
    • 6th Jun 08, 6:58 PM
    • 6th Jun 08, 6:58 PM
    I add the inedible rinds from Parmesan cheese to pasta sauce ... it imparts a great flavour ... You remove the rinds at the end of cooking
    LittleBill ...

"The riches of a man can be measured by what he can do without"

January 2014 GC: 99.98 / 100
    / February 2014 GC: 198.72 / 200
    March
    2014 GC: 0 / 200 - NSD: 0/31
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 6th Jun 08, 7:40 PM
    • 7,851 Posts
    • 27,979 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 6th Jun 08, 7:40 PM
    • 6th Jun 08, 7:40 PM
    I add the inedible rinds from Parmesan cheese to pasta sauce ... it imparts a great flavour ... You remove the rinds at the end of cooking
    Originally posted by LittleBill
    They are also nice in soups - particularly veg/minestrone type ones.
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 6th Jun 08, 9:46 PM
    • 114,791 Posts
    • 238,084 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 6th Jun 08, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Jun 08, 9:46 PM
    I never have left over cheese because I like the stuff so much...

But yes, any cheese can be used in sauces and soups, really, in appropriate amounts. And how about a steak and stilton pasty?

Generally speaking, any hard-ish cheese can be easly grated, and any soft-ish cheese can be easily melted.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. The pain is only felt by others.
    The same happens when you are stupid.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Jun 08, 10:45 PM
    • 9,297 Posts
    • 48,445 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 6th Jun 08, 10:45 PM
    • 6th Jun 08, 10:45 PM
    Whoever said that Parmesan rinds are inedible? I love them! I'm afraid that leftover cheese is an alien concept in this house too - every last scrap gets devoured!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
  • Hardup Hester
    • 7th Jun 08, 2:37 AM
    • 7th Jun 08, 2:37 AM
    I put all leftover cheese in the food processor with leftover bread, whizz it all together. I use this to top fish pie, cottage pie etc, it freezes well.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • Scarlett25
    • By Scarlett25 7th Jun 08, 3:41 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Scarlett25
    • 7th Jun 08, 3:41 PM
    • 7th Jun 08, 3:41 PM
    Some great ideas there you're all very inventive!
  • sexykellylovespink
    • 2nd Jan 09, 1:48 PM
    cheeses
    • 2nd Jan 09, 1:48 PM
    i have some different cheeses unopened what dishes can i make with them thamks kelly x
  • apple_mint
    Cheese on toast (or Welsh Rarebit)
    Cheese sauces - nice in pasta bakes, over savoury pancakes, cauliflower cheeses, lasagne etc.
    Savoury crumble toppings (mixed with breadcrumbs and used to top some of the above pasta bakes, cauliflower cheese etc.)
    Toppings for home made pizzas.
    Cheese scones
    Cheese and chutney toasties or sandwiches
    Quiche fillings
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
  • grem
    i have some different cheeses unopened what dishes can i make with them thamks kelly x
    Originally posted by sexykellylovespink
    Depends on the type of cheeses.

Hard cheese? Soft cheese? :confused:

Did you want to freeze the hard cheese for the future and use up the soft cheeses now?
    • McCalls
    • By McCalls 18th Jan 09, 6:01 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    McCalls
    What to do with leftover Christmas cheese
    I've still got tons of cheese leftover from Christmas. I've got cheddar, stilton, brie etc...

Does anyone have any idea's that I could use them with? I'm sick of cheese and biscuits! x
    • lucylema
    • By lucylema 18th Jan 09, 6:08 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    lucylema
    How about a brocolie and stilton soup?

Deep fry the Brie?

Toasted cheese sarnies?

Cheese and pot pie?
    Lucylema x
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 18th Jan 09, 6:10 PM
    • 37,007 Posts
    • 475,971 Thanks
    pigpen
    freeze it???

You can grate and freeze or just sling n the freezer as is.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    13/05/2019 50266.16 (2.41% int.)
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 18th Jan 09, 6:11 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    can freeze hard cheeses ...i grate then freeze blocks can go a bit dry....u can bake camenbert / brie and use as a yummy dip..toasted sarnies are great u could make a quiche...and cheese scones are fab
  • ravylesley
    How about making a batch of mixed cheese quiches for the freezer

As for the stilton how about stuffing the big mushrooms with it and grilling it until its all lovely and bubbly

Brie could you not cover it in breadcrumbs and deep fry it and serve it with cranberry sauce like they do with mini camemberts?

Lesleyxx
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 18th Jan 09, 6:13 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Potted cheese is gorgeous but rather in the same vein as cheese and biscuits.

It is simply equal quantities of grated cheese and soft butter plus a splash of dry sherry or brandy. You could freeze it in small pots. It's good melted onto a baked spud.
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 18th Jan 09, 6:36 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    Amanda65
    Broccoli and Stilton soup with the stilton - I used up my Xmas stilton this way and have frozen in individual portions for lunches
  • mashup
    Cheese scones, cheese cobbler topping, french onion soup with cheese croutons, cheese fondue(retro I know but great fun!) cheese and potato pie.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Jan 09, 6:51 PM
    • 13,285 Posts
    • 226,201 Thanks
    greenbee
    Stilton - blue cheese risotto (I add white vermouth to mine & it's delicious), pasta with blue cheese & broccoli, baked mushrooms with blue cheese

Brie - Brie and avocado melts - toast some ciabatta/french bread, cover with slices of avocado, top with brie & grill (you can also use cranberry sauce or chutney under the brie if you don't have avocado, & serve with salad); oven bake as for camembert; brie & onion tart (roll out a piece of puff pastry the same size as a large roasting tin/baking sheet, top with sliced onion and slices of brie, chuck in oven et voila!) - this also works with mushrooms & a bit of thyme.

Cheddar - freeze for use in cooking, or grate and add to salads etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

397Posts Today

4,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin