Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 26th Sep 05, 6:25 PM
    • 4,218Posts
    • 8,039Thanks
    larmy16
    Baked beans/haricot beans.
    • 26th Sep 05, 6:25 PM
    Baked beans/haricot beans. 26th Sep 05 at 6:25 PM
    I think I remember some genius on here saying that if you rinsed off the tomato sauce you get plain haricot beans. Can anyone confirm this? I was in Waitrose tonight (flying visit) and I needed a tin of haricot beans, but the only ones they had were organic at 79p when I remembered something about this.

Thanx
Page 1
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 26th Sep 05, 6:33 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 6:33 PM
    You are right that the beans used to make baked beans are haricot so it would work to use rinsed baked beans instead.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Sep 05, 6:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Sep 05, 6:50 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 6:50 PM
    Yep. Done it more than once
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 26th Sep 05, 7:24 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 26th Sep 05, 7:24 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 7:24 PM
    Ah, now I thought they were made from Cannellini beans, so you learn something new every day
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Gingham Ribbon
    • 26th Sep 05, 8:47 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 8:47 PM
    I rinse them and use them in chillis and curries, but they do still taste of the sauce if you put them with milder flavours. I get the netto ones or the value brand ones.

Tip: They will reduce to mush unless you put them in near the end of the cooking time.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • filigree
    • 26th Sep 05, 9:57 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 9:57 PM
    Don't rinse them! Strain them through a sieve and use the tomato juice in a casserole another day. Waste not want not
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 26th Sep 05, 10:03 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 26th Sep 05, 10:03 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 10:03 PM
    Don't rinse them! Strain them through a sieve and use the tomato juice in a casserole another day. Waste not want not
    by filigree
    Thats a good idea. I can add that to my strange concoction in the freezer waiting to be made into soup. So far, I have spring onion tops, radish tops, the stalky bits of coriander and today bought some carrots dead cheap at Waitrose, so Im hoping for a carrot and coriander type soup with a ton of greenery chucked in
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 26th Sep 05, 10:07 PM
    • 26th Sep 05, 10:07 PM
    by filigree
    I have the sauce for a plate of soup, it's yummy.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 27th Sep 05, 12:16 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    • 27th Sep 05, 12:16 AM
    • 27th Sep 05, 12:16 AM
    Definitely haricot beans. I never rinse them-sometimes drain a little if especially runny, but if the recipe contains tomatoes/tomato sauce I just put them in as they are.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I really, really don't like the sauce that beans come in. I have to either add brown sauce, Hendersons Relish, chilli powder or cheese to make it taste decent. Although I won't stretch to more than 13p a tin, so maybe it's my own fault!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th Sep 05, 12:00 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I really, really don't like the sauce that beans come in. I have to either add brown sauce, Hendersons Relish, chilli powder or cheese to make it taste decent. Although I won't stretch to more than 13p a tin, so maybe it's my own fault!
    by Gingham Ribbon

We don't have baked beans often but I've always stuck to Heinz when we do as you just can't beat them for flavour, but a few months ago I bought a couple of tins of Tesco value beans, to use when I put beans into meals rather than eating as is, and I actually got around to trying them the other day. I made a corned beef hash and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the quality and taste of the value beans! Certainly not as bad as I'd expected, but the downside is that they contain higher levels of salt and sugar than Heinz, and I think theirs are high enough as it is as I always feel excessively thirsty having eaten them
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• black-saturn
    I've used them as an extra ingredient to shepherds pie. It bulks the meal out a bit more, makes it more filling and adds a nie tang to it.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    The netto ones are 'reduced' salt and sugar and for a change, they don't add an artificial sweetener to compensate for the lower sugar content. (Although I agree, even these are too high in both.)
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 27th Sep 05, 10:46 PM
    • 3,238 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Or you can buy Haricote beans uncooked, morrisons sell 500g bags for about 69p. They do need soaking but its healthier than buying tinned ones with all the added salt and chemicals.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Trow
    • By Trow 28th Sep 05, 7:14 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    I have to say that I prefer the cheap beans (well, any beans at all) to Heinz - Heinz has a horrible 'gloop' to the sauce that I find unpalatable.

I have a recipe for a bean !!!!!ash that asks for, among others, baked beans. It always (IMO) turns out nice. And as I don't generally add salt to my cooking I think I can get away with the baked beans thing.
  • filigree
    I've used them as an extra ingredient to shepherds pie. It bulks the meal out a bit more, makes it more filling and adds a nie tang to it.
    by black-saturn
    I've seen Heinz frozen ready meals with baked beans added, including shepherds pie. I can't believe the prices they charged for a cheap meal padded out with even cheaper baked beans!

I prefer my shepherds pie with the beans on the side and a big dollop of Brown sauce, but that's just me being fussy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

2,003Users online

Martin's Twitter