Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    moo2moo
    OS things you never thought you'd do.
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:23 PM
    OS things you never thought you'd do. 3rd Jun 08 at 7:23 PM
    I never in a million years imagined that I'd feed my family dog food.

Walking past the butchers today I read a sign "Dog Bones 20p donation to *local* hospice" in I popped thinking oooh the dog will like that. Then I discovered how big the bags were and what was inside them. I donated 50p to the local hospice and left with 6 racks of lamb ribs and 4 large pork knuckle joints.

The pork is now in the slow cooker as the basis for soup (tomorrows lunch). The lamb ribs are marinading in the fridge ready to BBQ tomorrow evening. The dog will be very happy with the cooked bones.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 15-07-2008 at 6:51 PM.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
Page 1
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 3rd Jun 08, 7:32 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:32 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:32 PM
    Ah well, you should never feed dogs raw pork bones in any case

My thing is getting jittery when people want to throw things away which I would use, so I take them "for the dogs". I do have dogs, though, and sometimes the stuff is for them, meat on plates from meals out etc.

My friend house sat for some people who left Waitrose spinach for the chickens....she ate it and gave them other greens and some out of date Paxo...not sure if they appreciated the irony!
  • Mrs Weasley
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    I never in a million years imagined that I'd feed my family dog food.

Walking past the butchers today I read a sign "Dog Bones 20p donation to *local* hospice" in I popped thinking oooh the dog will like that. Then I discovered how big the bags were and what was inside them. I donated 50p to the local hospice and left with 6 racks of lamb ribs and 4 large pork knuckle joints.

The pork is now in the slow cooker as the basis for soup (tomorrows lunch). The lamb ribs are marinading in the fridge ready to BBQ tomorrow evening. The dog will be very happy with the cooked bones.
    Originally posted by moo2moo
    Sorry nothing to add but oh how you made me laugh.........nearly wet myself please let us know how they turn out
    I know i'm in my own world~it's ok they know me here!!!
    "It will be fine" quoted by ....me
    • Angelina-M
    • By Angelina-M 3rd Jun 08, 7:50 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Angelina-M
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:50 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:50 PM
    You should never give dogs a cooked bone. There's a chance it could splinter and stick in the dogs throat.

You can however give them raw bones as long as they arent pork, I think that has already been mentioned in another post.

Maybe I'm being picky but I wonder if the butcher is less careful when he handles meat that is meant for the dogs. It could have been left on the side for hours. Our butcher has his dog bones in a bin outside the shop and sometimes it can be a bit 'ripe' smelling.
  • Purple_Sparkles
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:59 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 7:59 PM
    I was out my freezer bags and reuse them time and time again, it's funny to see them drying on the line.
  • ~Chameleon~
    • 3rd Jun 08, 8:37 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 8:37 PM
    Maybe I'm being picky but I wonder if the butcher is less careful when he handles meat that is meant for the dogs. It could have been left on the side for hours. Our butcher has his dog bones in a bin outside the shop and sometimes it can be a bit 'ripe' smelling.
    Originally posted by Angelina-M
    I'm sure once they've been boiled/roasted they'll be just fine
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
    • Lily-Lu
    • By Lily-Lu 3rd Jun 08, 9:40 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    Lily-Lu
    • 3rd Jun 08, 9:40 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 9:40 PM
    Good idea

I buy chicken frames and backs for the animals. I always smell them first for freshness, and up to now, they've smelt just as fresh as the meat I buy for us. Was thinking recently, I might use some for stock
    • skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 3rd Jun 08, 10:29 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    • 3rd Jun 08, 10:29 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 10:29 PM
    Sorry nothing to add but oh how you made me laugh.........nearly wet myself please let us know how they turn out
    Originally posted by Mrs Weasley
    Me too!!! I had a horrible image of you dishing up Pedigree Chum to the family!!!
    • Cameron
    • By Cameron 16th Jul 08, 10:49 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Cameron
    • 16th Jul 08, 10:49 AM
    I never in a million years imagined that I'd EAT my family dog
    • 16th Jul 08, 10:49 AM
    China leading the way - I noticed that they had banned the sale of dogs as food whilst the olympics where on.

Didnt do the same for cats though!

Cameron
    Advice is cheap! Hence there is a lot of it about!
    Try not to be a victim!
  • Sarahsaver
    SOrry to say I don't think I HAVE done anything moneysaving that I thought I would never do LOL.
    i spose my 'extreme' moments (extreme to others but not to me) blagging wood off builders for firewood - it was only going in a skip anyway
    making soup out of potato skins
    having toad in the hole for sunday dinner
    using tumble drier fluff to light the fire
    My 'never in a million years' scenario would be to be one of those people walking around with loads of clothes shopping and living off ready meals!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • weezl74
    I never thought I'd roast a free pig's head, and work out if a long handled match would be suitable for scorching off his bristles. But tomorrow's the day folks. Gulp!

Love Weezl x

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 16th Jul 08, 7:34 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    I never thought I'd roast a free pig's head, and work out if a long handled match would be suitable for scorching off his bristles. But tomorrow's the day folks. Gulp!

Love Weezl x
    Originally posted by weezl74
    Enjoy that! You are a braver woman than me
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • fizzel81
    wow, weezl let us know how it urm go's your very brave
    DFW nerd club number 039 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89 /£6412.80
  • Hardup Hester
    Some friends came to visit us & bought a KFC with them, I made chicken pie with the 2 leftover pieces of chicken, soup with the left over bones & used the coleslaw in my sandwiches.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 16th Jul 08, 7:59 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    Hardup- you made me laugh talk about getting your (well there) moneys worth my OH like a KFC once in a blue moon but theres never anything left to try that
    Still searching .....
    • Iguana
    • By Iguana 16th Jul 08, 8:12 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    Iguana
    I was out my freezer bags and reuse them time and time again, it's funny to see them drying on the line.
    Originally posted by Purple_Sparkles
    I used to do this with empty bread bags, but used to dry them indoord. Is that snobbery, do you think?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,315Users online

Martin's Twitter