Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 2nd Jun 08, 8:50 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Great ‘Crucial Phone Numbers’ Hunt: Easy numbers for when things go wrong.
    • 2nd Jun 08, 8:50 AM
    The Great ‘Crucial Phone Numbers’ Hunt: Easy numbers for when things go wrong. 2nd Jun 08 at 8:50 AM
    Preparation is crucial… when things go wrong, it's always more difficult to get the numbers you need.

So I wanted to tap MoneySavers' collective conscience to find out what numbers everyone should have, from the direct dial to the local policestation, to a locksmith, car glazer, roadside recovery policy number and more.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Paparika
    • By Paparika 2nd Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    Paparika
    • 2nd Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    • 2nd Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    for car numbers, write down all the necessary emergency contacts (and policy details if necessary) on a small piece of card, and slip it into the tax disc holder.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
    • Nile
    • By Nile 2nd Jun 08, 9:47 AM
    • 14,343 Posts
    • 14,292 Thanks
    Nile
    • 2nd Jun 08, 9:47 AM
    • 2nd Jun 08, 9:47 AM
    I have a ring binder file with punched pockets which contain the receipts for any work done in the house and garden. If the roofer, plumber, electrician etc did a good job, his invoice and a positive comment about the standard of work goes into the file.

So if I needed to call a plumber urgently, I would call him first and be assured that he will turn up and do a good job. If he was unavaliable, I always ask him to give me his personal recommendation of who else I should try.

My file helps me to find reliable craftsmen quickly and avoid the cowboys.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • badgerbuckets
    • 3rd Jun 08, 11:32 PM
    an essential number for any mobile phone
    • 3rd Jun 08, 11:32 PM
    So, what number do you call from your mobile in an emergency? 999? NO! Call 112 - the European emergency number. Works in the UK, and best of all:

* the operator will not ask your number - they already have it
    * the operator will know where you are - to within approx 50 feet in some areas
    * the operator will ask you only which service you need - and will then put you through to the emergency service in the very area you are in, and pass on your number too. Ever tried to remember your number when you dial 999?

Best of all - you do not even need a SIM card in to use 112 or 999. Even if the phone is locked, you can still dial 112 or 999.

BUT - do use 112, it is faster, it is more accurate, it will help services find you if you are in real trouble.
  • adam2484
    • 3rd Jun 08, 11:45 PM
    • 3rd Jun 08, 11:45 PM
    i store them in my mobile...
  • mobilez
    • 4th Jun 08, 4:56 AM
    • 4th Jun 08, 4:56 AM
    So, what number do you call from your mobile in an emergency? 999? NO! Call 112 - the European emergency number
    Originally posted by badgerbuckets
    It appears 999 and 112 are the same service and run in parallel [from Ofcom website]

That said, it's probably sensible to teach kids 112 as this will work in more countries!

* the operator will ask you only which service you need - and will then put you through to the emergency service in the very area you are in, and pass on your number too.
    The services above should work with both 999 and 112 calls. You dial the number - the operator asks which service - then connects the call to the chosen emergency service, announcing your number to them as they connect the call (tried and tested)

If you have caller ID turned off on the handset or dial 141 to withhold your number - this will not matter - the operator will still have your number on their screen when you call.

Best of all - you do not even need a SIM card in to use 112 or 999. Even if the phone is locked, you can still dial 112 or 999
    In the UK and many other countries you cannot dial 999 or 112 without a valid sim card! You must have an active sim in the phone to dial 999/112. You don't need credit - just a signal/coverage eg if you can receive incoming calls you should be able to dial 999/112.

If a phone is "keypad locked" you can almost always still dial 999/112 (the oldest retro-phones will only dial 999 whilst key-locked) - however if the phone is network locked eg locked to Orange then you can often only dial 999/112 with a correct-network sim in.

do use 112, it is faster, it is more accurate, it will help services find you if you are in real trouble
    112 was introduced in the UK as part of an attempt to have a universal emergency number across the EU (999 has been in use in the UK since 1937). Both numbers should offer the same service.

Mobilez
    Last edited by mobilez; 04-06-2008 at 5:04 AM.
    • ukmonkey
    • By ukmonkey 4th Jun 08, 7:10 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    ukmonkey
    • 4th Jun 08, 7:10 AM
    • 4th Jun 08, 7:10 AM
    So, what number do you call from your mobile in an emergency? 999? NO! Call 112 - the European emergency number. Works in the UK, and best of all:

* the operator will ask you only which service you need - and will then put you through to the emergency service in the very area you are in, and pass on your number too. Ever tried to remember your number when you dial 999?

Best of all - you do not even need a SIM card in to use 112 or 999. Even if the phone is locked, you can still dial 112 or 999.

BUT - do use 112, it is faster, it is more accurate, it will help services find you if you are in real trouble.
    Most, if not all of this post is incorrect, as has already been pointed out.
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 4th Jun 08, 8:15 AM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 4th Jun 08, 8:15 AM
    Gas Emergency Hotline
    • 4th Jun 08, 8:15 AM
    Good morning:

If you smell gas then call:
    0800 111 999 for England, Scotland and Wales
    0800 002 001 for Northern Ireland
    01624 644 444 for Isle of Man
    01481 749000 for Guernsey
    01534 755555 for Jersey
    • If you are calling from a mobile phone then go outside first.
    • Do NOT smoke, do NOT turn light switches on or off and do NOT do anything to create a spark.
    • Turn off the supply at the meter. If you do not have to switch on a light to do so, open doors and windows and wait outside for the emergency engineer to arrive.
    HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • lisafenn
    • 4th Jun 08, 8:43 AM
    • 4th Jun 08, 8:43 AM
    Hi Guys

This is my first posting on the site.

I have found a free phone number for directory enquiries

0800 100 100

I use it all the time.

Hope this is useful to everyone

kindest regards

Lisa
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 4th Jun 08, 8:48 AM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 5,433 Thanks
    earthmother
    I don't have actual numbers to mention - but I do keep a list pinned to the wall by the phone of emergency (and other useful) numbers - saves me having to find the phone book or mobile phone (if it has charge on it).

The list starts with the local GP, Out of Hours, Local Minor Injuries unit and the nearest two A&Es (other towns). Then I have direct family mobile numbers, school and playgroup contact numbers, the health visitor and the dentist.

My thinking being that this list isn't just for me - it's for my mum if she's keeping an eye on the kids for me, and for any emergency service who may need to enter the house in case there's no-one here able to answer their questions.

I shall keep an eye on this thread to see what other additions I need to put on there - already added the Gas number.

DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 4th Jun 08, 8:56 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    I have found a free phone number for directory enquiries

0800 100 100
    Originally posted by lisafenn
    But remember virtually no freephone numbers are free to call from a mobile.

However, it is possible to make free freephone calls from your mobile's inclusive minutes (if you have a contract with gives you those) by using one of the below gateway (dial-through) numbers. If one doesn't work for you, the other will:

0200 222 0900

0200 222 0700
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • janeat18
    most important
    Mobile phones - Just to say that you should store the person you want contacted in case of an emergency (eg car accident) with ICE as the name
    - In Case of Emergency

The emergency services look for this now - You might not be able to speak
    you can of course have the person in under their name as well for your own use!
  • lisafenn
    But remember virtually no freephone numbers are free to call from a mobile.

However, it is possible to make free freephone calls from your mobile's inclusive minutes (if you have a contract with gives you those) by using one of the below gateway (dial-through) numbers. If one doesn't work for you, the other will:

0200 222 0900

0200 222 0700
    Originally posted by Heinz

Ah yes

sorry i didnt think about calls from mobiles... i hardly use my mobile so i was just thinking about calls from landline phones
  • monstercop
    The other option in this technically available world is to email yourself a list of all of these details so if your list does get mislaid, you can still get access to it from anywhere with internet access (or store as a note / task / diary entry on a mobile with these features).
    • dreamypuma
    • By dreamypuma 4th Jun 08, 5:37 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    dreamypuma

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.
    Originally posted by newmommyjen
    This doesn't work on my Sony Ericsson or I-Mate. What phones use this facility?
  • Plasticman
    The only emergency number I remember is 999. For anything else, I would generally look it up on the Internet or phone directory enquiries. Nothing else is that urgent is it? Unless my internet connection broke of course, now that really would be a crisis.
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • tryfive
    Blowing myths away...

FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked.
    Originally posted by newmommyjen
    Worldwide? Only if you're on a GSM network. It is the European standard though.

Try it out.
    WTF?!!

You're encouraging people to dial the emergency services just to "try it out"?!

FFS! They get enough crank calls without people doing this! Only call the emergency services in an emergency, please

SECOND Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.
    Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.
    Complete myth. Sorry!

That bleeping sound you hear when you unlock your car? Nope, that's not what unlocks it - try again!

The key fob is actually a small radio transmitter. A very small radio transmitter. As for the claim it would work from many miles away... Well, if the friend you phoned up were to hook it up to a nice biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig aerial, boost the power to the transmitter, and then "play it down the phone", your car might unlock. Of course, it would have nothing to do with your mobile though...

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.
    Nope. Sorry. It does alter the power usage on some mobiles however (Nokia?)

FOURTH How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone * # 0 6 #
    A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code.
    Close, but no cigar.

You're talking about the IMEI number. Networks can block based on this, however:

1) Get your friends IMEI, and report it stolen. Ta da! Their phone is useless! No? Of course not, try registering his mobile to you first though, and you might have more luck.

2) It's country specific. Nicked a few mobiles recently? Found they've been blocked? Finding it hard to flog them off as a result? Poor you... Well - WORRY NO MORE! Just nip over to the continent, and SUDDENLY you're back in business again, selling fully working mobiles.

PLEASE - BEFORE POSTING CLAIMS LIKE THE ABOVE, CHECK A FEW URBAN MYTHS WWW SITES.

You'll find them entertaining, and HIGHLY INFORMATIVE!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 4th Jun 08, 7:48 PM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,630 Thanks
    hollydays
    The 24 hour emergency helpline number for your insurance company-if you are abroad.

Each time i change my annual insurance i ask them for this number.
    A number of times they have given me freephone or 0870 numbers-which you CAN'T ring from abroad.
    Last edited by hollydays; 07-06-2008 at 5:16 PM.
  • TimBuckTeeth
    You can't unlock a normal car (not specially equipped) with a mobile phone.

This part is misleading and directly copied from a junk email, not made by MSE editors :
    Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp
    • Patti27
    • By Patti27 4th Jun 08, 11:29 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Patti27
    You're talking about the IMEI number. Networks can block based on this, however:

1) Get your friends IMEI, and report it stolen. Ta da! Their phone is useless! No? Of course not, try registering his mobile to you first though, and you might have more luck.

2) It's country specific. Nicked a few mobiles recently? Found they've been blocked? Finding it hard to flog them off as a result? Poor you... Well - WORRY NO MORE! Just nip over to the continent, and SUDDENLY you're back in business again, selling fully working mobiles.
    Originally posted by tryfive
    I work for the police & if you want to report your mobile lost or stolen you'll need the IMEI number before we'll do anything. It can also be found on the box your phone comes in and from your service provider (ie 02, orange etc).
    The police non emergency number in Scotland is 0845 600 5700. It's the same number for the whole of Scotland, so if I dial that number in Glasgow I'll get through to Strathclyde police etc. Doesn't matter if you use a mobile or landline.

I know my doctors number off by heart so I don't have it written down anywhere. Anything else and I'd call directory enquiries, although in saying that, they're not very good in directing people to the correct police force.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

10,536Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin