Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Rave
    • By Rave 22nd Sep 05, 11:17 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Rave
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:17 AM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:17 AM
    The base will just come out like a fajita wrap if there's no yeast in it I reckon- I don't think it'll be very nice under a pizza. Tescos do 8 sachets of yeast for about 70p- have a root around down the back of the sofa maybe?:confused:
    • se999
    • By se999 22nd Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:29 AM
    You can do a pizza scone base, recipe here

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/0/13909
  • foreverskint
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:40 AM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:40 AM
    Try a grated potatoe Rosti type base?

#Beg some yeast from a neighbour?

Go to tescos bakery, they give fresh yeast out for free!!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Sep 05, 11:46 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:46 AM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:46 AM
    There's a recipe for Lazy Pizza in the Old Style Recipe Collection that uses SR flour and works well
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • purplegirluk1
    • By purplegirluk1 22nd Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    purplegirluk1
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    You used to be able to ask for free yeast from the instore bakery in any supermarkets, I am not sure if this is the case now though, can anyone confirm this?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Sep 05, 12:15 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 22nd Sep 05, 12:15 PM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 12:15 PM
    Yep. Confirmed. People have often spoken of Tescos and my local Asda does too.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• myrnahaz
    • By myrnahaz 22nd Sep 05, 12:25 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    myrnahaz
    • 22nd Sep 05, 12:25 PM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 12:25 PM
    My sister uses plain yoghurt in her pizza base - just this and plain flour, as far as I can remember, maybe salt? She certainly doesn't use yeast, and I'm almost certain that she doesn't add fat, either. I remember that the dough was very stiff and that she used her hands to push it to fit the pizza tin. I'll find out more and get back to you.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Sep 05, 12:26 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 22nd Sep 05, 12:26 PM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 12:26 PM
    How about making a flat bread as a pizza base? Just plain flour, baking powder, olive oil and water! ... and a pinch of salt!

Not sure exact quantites really matter as Lesley Waters just just chucked it all in a bowl and mixed it up on Ready Steady Cook last night

Or how about my naan bread recipe on the curry page, which is yeastless and would make a superb pizza base if you rolled it out in one big circle
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 22-09-2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot the salt!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Sep 05, 12:28 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    My sister uses plain yoghurt in her pizza base - just this and plain flour, as far as I can remember, maybe salt? She certainly doesn't use yeast, and I'm almost certain that she doesn't add fat, either. I remember that the dough was very stiff and that she used her hands to push it to fit the pizza tin. I'll find out more and get back to you.
    by myrnahaz
    My naan bread recipe uses yoghurt instead of yeast too
    ~

• raeble
    I have to admit I never heard of using yeast in a pizza base until I started reading this site. I always made my pizza bases with flour, salt, water and a spot of oil. I rolled it out to the required thickness. I never had a problem with it, of course it did mean cooking it in moderate oven to ensure the base cooked.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Sep 05, 12:33 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    How about making a flat bread as a pizza base? Just plain flour, baking powder, olive oil and water!

Not sure exact quantites really matter as Lesley Waters just just chucked it all in a bowl and mixed it up on Ready Steady Cook last night
    by Curry_Queen
    That's pretty much the way I make a scone base - except I'm lazy and use self raising flour

• dooj
    lazy pizza
    where do i get the recipe? anyone got a link for it?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Sep 05, 2:08 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    It's in the Main Courses section of our Old Style Recipe Collection.

You can find them in our "Indexed Collections" sticky at the top of the forum listing, or you can follow the clue in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

• carol_a
    There's one in Shirley Goode's book using yoghurt :

4oz wholewheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    yoghurt to mix
    1 tbsp oil (to cook)

Mix to a soft dough, roll out into a thin circle. Then she cooks it on one side in a frying pan in the oil for 1/2 minute, turns it over, adds the sauce, toppings etc then cooks under a grill for 2-3 minutes until cheese etc hot and bubbling. I remember trying it about 8 years ago and it was fine. Don't know why I haven't done it since really.
  • dooj
    lazy pizza
    thanks carol how much does it make what size pizza... i really want to try it.. how much yoghurt?
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Sep 05, 4:36 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Oh Carol, talking of using a frying pan, that reminds me of a very quick and easy pizza that Nick Nairn made on Ready Steady Cook once ... which I've managed to track down and is here

Obviously you can choose your own toppings and don't have to use the same as he did, but the idea is good!
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 22-09-2005 at 4:39 PM.
    ~

• carol_a
    Sorry it doesn't give any dimensions as such. It just says to roll out to fit a "large" frying pan, there's not that much flour so you could always increase the recipe if you have a really large pan. Mine's about 8-9 inches in the base I guess. As for youghurt it just says yoghurt to mix so add it gradually until it's mixed to a soft dough, not too sticky and not too dry, so it can be rolled out ok.

Thanks Curry Queen for the tip above, that does look like a similar idea and I like the idea of cooking it quickly like that.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Sep 05, 5:32 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Yes, I like that idea too and after watching him do it I thought it would be something I'd like to try, but as usual I forgot all about it LOL! ... until you mentioned the frying pan that is, so cheers hun!
    ~

• carol_a
    My breadmaker arrived this afternoon so I should really be trying out pizza dough in that now!! Can't wait to try it but it may have to wait until weekend as I'm trying to paint son's bedroom at the mo.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,810Posts Today

10,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin