Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Sue1973
    • 20th Sep 05, 8:03 PM
    • 20th Sep 05, 8:03 PM
    I made Jamie Oliver's beef and guinness pie last night and it was lurrrvly!! If you do a google on "jamie oliver" guinness , it will come up. Whilst it is a pie , you could omit the pastry top and put dumplings in.

About three hours in a casserole pan on the hob is just right!!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 20th Sep 05, 8:07 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 20th Sep 05, 8:07 PM
    I've posted a couple of my favourite recipes before ...

Beef Stew (in a slow cooker) but could just as easily be made the usual way with a bit of extra stock/liquid.

or ...

Irish Beef & Guinness casserole

Ohhhhh you're making me drool now thinking about these
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 20th Sep 05, 8:07 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    hI HAS ANYONE GOT ANY RECEPIES FOR BEEF STEW.
    i like parsnips, potatoes,carrots,leeks,peas,and of course Dumplings Mmm.
    Is it best to do it in the oven or on the stove, i have made it once before but something went wrong with the potatoes and they went all mushy in the stew and we ended up eating it with a knife and fork. :confused:
    Ps i don't like kidneys.
    by sarah1
    The potatoes were probably the floury type that soften easily like King Edwards(for that same reason they make great mash, roasties and chips). Next time try waxy potatoes and put them in a little later.
  • competitionscafe
    • 20th Sep 05, 8:54 PM
    • 20th Sep 05, 8:54 PM
    Boeuf Bourguignon, a classic recipe for beef and vegetables, slow cooked in red wine.

http://www.my-french-house.com/regions/recipes/beef-burgandy.php

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/print/beefbourguignon_5151.shtml
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Kippsy
    • 20th Sep 05, 9:11 PM
    • 20th Sep 05, 9:11 PM
    That is all I can say on the matter.... I wish I could eat stew and dumplings all day long... somedays!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • GreenFingers
    • 3rd Feb 06, 3:59 PM
    Beef Stew
    • 3rd Feb 06, 3:59 PM
    I made a beef stew and dumplings yesterday evening. Really, really tasty…mmmm … yummy and so Easy Peasy to do. I cooked it in a casserole dish on gas mark 6 for 1 ½ hours, putting the dumplings in to cook about ½ an hour before taking it out.

The ingredients used were...

6 oz stewing steak approx. cut into bite sized pieces
    3 largish potatoes, peeled and sliced about ¼ inch thick
    1 medium onion chopped up coarsely
    1 cup of frozen broad beans and mixed vegetables
    2 tablespoons of lentils (good for you)
    Some olive oil, butter, salt and pepper
    2 Vegetable stock cubes

The ingredients for the dumplings were...

4 tablespoons of self!raising flour
    2 tablespoons of beef suet
    Enough cold water to form a thick dough

The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • weenie
    • 3rd Feb 06, 5:17 PM
    Yummy!!!
    • 3rd Feb 06, 5:17 PM
    That looks delicious!!!

Will try the recipe this week. Just what you need to warm you up with this cold spell.

Hubby certainly loves his stew and dumplings!!
    LIVE, LOVE, AND LEARN!!
  • xlt hunter
    • 3rd Feb 06, 8:42 PM
    • 3rd Feb 06, 8:42 PM
    Snap - did mine in the slow cooker this evening - had to phone mum for the recipe for dumplings as its my first try - very Delicious, so full now
  • bexxie90
    Hi
    Apolgise for sticking my beak in. A tin of Oxtail soup goes down a treat in this and if you are doing chicken stew and dumplings then a tin of tomato islovely ( I know it sounds weird,trust me!)

I think you can make Beef stew and dumplings cheaply and is so filling.

What else is nice (and cheap!) is a Suet pudding with Bacon and Onions in. Fills them all up for hours ;-)

Bex
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 4th Feb 06, 10:28 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    I will be putting a tin of oxtail soup in my stew today - thanks for the tip
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 4th Feb 06, 11:00 AM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 45,503 Thanks
    Pooky
    I put different flavourings in my dumplings to add a bit of extra zing......chilli flakes work well!!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • FunkyFairy
    • By FunkyFairy 4th Feb 06, 12:28 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    FunkyFairy
    What else is nice (and cheap!) is a Suet pudding with Bacon and Onions in. Fills them all up for hours ;-)
    Bex
    by bexxie90
    I do that but i make a suet pastry roll it out spread cooked bacon and onion on it then roll it up like a swiss roll. Bake in the oven for 30 mins on 200oc it does fill you up we always have half left over for lunch the next day and there are 2 adult and 2 children in our house.
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 4th Feb 06, 1:01 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    RE Oxtail Soup..............

I love Heinz Oxtail but cannot replicate it, I'v tried on and off for years without any real success, any tips would be appreciated.

According to the contents on the tin there is only 1% oxtail in it and I know that Heinz import there stock from an African Source so I might be onto a loser here, so, have any of the OS'ers had any luck?
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • elvis_bloggs
    Gosh, even I could make that stew, must give it a try sometime, I've saved the recipe in a text doc, the small variations as well. Thanks.

• Graham_S
    beef stew was the first thing i made in my SC - i added a few bit of kidney too - not to everyones taste though - and a few dumplings. dumplings were a bit hard so i need to try something different next time. i also threw in a bowl full of the carrot and squash soup i made the day before

Graham
    Current CC debt : £00000

Was £4900 in May 2005

now got a girlfriend and savings
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 24th Mar 06, 3:23 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    Making beef stew but no red wine
    I am about to make Curry Queen's beef stew from the SC collection, but I don;t have any red wine.

It says use 1/2 bottle of wine and 3/4 pint of beef stock.

Can I just use extra stock? I don;t want to get it wrong as I have just bought three packs of stewing beef.

I'm a bit worried about putting too much liquid in as I don;t want to end up with soup! I like a good thick gravy.

Help please!
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 24th Mar 06, 3:28 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Just replace the wine with more liquid.It can be more stock,beer,cider or tomato juice.It won't taste exactly the way Curry Queen intended but it will still be delicious.The secret of a good beef stew is the long, slow cooking
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 24th Mar 06, 3:33 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    It's going on shortly and is not for tonight so I can just leave it cooking till i go to bed. I am working in london next week (two hours each way!) so need stuff in the fridge for quick heating up when I get in at 9pm.

Thanks.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 24th Mar 06, 3:35 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Stew improves when it's reheated,so it should be fab
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,378Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter