Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Dan
    0 WOW
    Great “Battle of the Brands” Hunt
    • 20th May 08, 1:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Great “Battle of the Brands” Hunt 20th May 08 at 1:54 PM
    Everyone has their favourite brands - HP sauce trounces Daddies for me! - but sometimes these choices come down to more than personal taste.

Do any brands actually deliver better value?

Brands are normally a great way of adding price to a product… but which ones do you think actually cut the (Colman’s) mustard? Whether its lightbulbs, washing up liquid or batteries or computers, let us know which you'd recommend and which you wouldn't.
    - e.g. Do Duracell batteries really last longer than Energiser?

Please post below to share the brands youve found that do the job best

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 21-05-2008 at 8:47 AM.
Page 1
    • Zeldazog
    • By Zeldazog 20th May 08, 11:12 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Zeldazog
    • 20th May 08, 11:12 PM
    • 20th May 08, 11:12 PM
    Brillo Pads!

As you say, a lot of stuff is about personal taste (I have tried many brands of other cornflaks, and there's nothing *wrong* - they just don't taste as nice as Kelloggs to me or my son)

But, I have tried cheaper types of soaped scourers, but in the end I have gone back to branded Brillos - they just seem to do a better job
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 23-05-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    • Aquatic
    • By Aquatic 21st May 08, 8:30 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Aquatic
    • 21st May 08, 8:30 AM
    • 21st May 08, 8:30 AM
    Sandpaper - 3M Sandblaster sandpaper
    I did some work promoting them a while back and had a little bit to try which I thought was ok but I have recently been sanding down my front door with an orbital sander and the precut paper was tearing or slipping off or just wearing out after about 5 minutes. I went and bought some of the sandblaster on a roll and cut to the required size and away I went - absolutely brilliant - I havent changed it yet and its not torn and is still working as well as when I started AND much better than the other stuff. I'm converted (and no! Im not profiteering from promoting this stuff - I just thought youd like to know)
  • renegade
    • 21st May 08, 9:24 AM
    • 21st May 08, 9:24 AM
    Ariel washing powder. Tried all the rest this is THE best and at 30 degrees.
    Agree with last post Brillo soap pads are the best thing out there, do hundreds of jobs, I have used them for 50 years.
    Tesco own brand Peanut butter, everything else is too salty for us.
    Tyhoo T bags gives us the ooooh every time..
    Tried and tested for years original Windowlene nothing else can touch it.
    Jacobs Cream crackers are favourites for us too.
    I wouldnt change my cleaning cloths from Sainsburys, last ages, very economical.
    Bounty Kitchen towels, all the rest pale by comparison.
  • ikontix
    • 21st May 08, 9:30 AM
    Light bulbs - a cautionary tale...
    • 21st May 08, 9:30 AM
    My mother purchased the cheapest light bulbs she could find. 2 have exploded in use. It was lucky that she was out of the room but in the house. The room was showered with hot glass shards and - on hearing the bang - she was then able to dampen down the hot areas, which could have caused a fire. She has binned the rest of the pack and will only buy branded ones now. As will I.
    • murphymum
    • By murphymum 21st May 08, 10:13 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    murphymum
    • 21st May 08, 10:13 AM
    Heinz beans
    • 21st May 08, 10:13 AM
    Nobody can outdo Heinz baked beans in our house. We tried Cross and Blackwell but found them too spicy. Tried the cheaper brands - too watery. We also can't see past Heinz Cream of Tomato soup. The best!
  • mickthepilot
    • 21st May 08, 10:18 AM
    • 21st May 08, 10:18 AM
    On CH5 series The Gadget Show they tested alkaline AA batteries.
    Top by a long way was Morrisons own brand !!
    I went to stock up. At the time the 12 pack was a fair bit more expensive than buying 3x4 packs, don't know why, there wasn't a special offer, so check.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 23-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
  • choti
    • 21st May 08, 10:28 AM
    • 21st May 08, 10:28 AM
    Heinz Tomato Ketchup! Hubby thinks it's all down to conditioning but I don't agree!

Kelloggs cornflakes too. They make kelloggs cornflakes in India and ship to Bangladesh - you can really taste the difference!!

PG Tips - really flavoured!
    • nesssie1702
    • By nesssie1702 21st May 08, 10:42 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    nesssie1702
    • 21st May 08, 10:42 AM
    • 21st May 08, 10:42 AM
    My OH swears by M&S's Tomato Sauce these days - it's far nicer than Heinz.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 21st May 08, 12:01 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    russetred
    Fairy liquid, unfortunately it really does last the longest and has the best lather.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 23-05-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 21st May 08, 12:03 PM
    • 3,146 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Fairy washing up liquid. I've tried others when they were on offer and even the better ones don't measure up.

Only downside, my SIL uses half a bottle if she 'helps' wash up. She buys the cheapies herself and 'force of habit' makes her suirt in too much.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • The Snorkmaiden
    Usually buy Cheerios for breakfast, but thought I would try Tesco own brand hoops as they were quite a bit cheaper.

Yuk! Horrible! Back to Cheerios!
    • natlie
    • By natlie 21st May 08, 1:55 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 5,219 Thanks
    natlie
    tesco value tinned tomatoes are great - to me no different to any other tinned tomatoes

tesco value baked beans are watery but less calories and less chemicals that normal tesco beans - finding that heinz beans have gone powdery and break up when you heat them

I use boots sensitive washing liquid for clothes, my daughter has bad ezcema - Ł1.34 half price if you are a health club member - just sign up through advantage point

paracetamol - buy tesco/boots own 16p bargain

tesco original pasta sauce is great don't fuss too much with pasta sauces - always add my own veg

tesco tropical squash nicer than robinsons and lower calories, plus double concentrated so you use less

tesco own bread I don't buy branded bread

Nat
    x
    Ł27328 Ł26,728 Ł26,668 Ł26475.20 Ł26,696.77 DOH
  • tamum
    Bounty kitchen roll - much better value than cheaper brands, you don't need nearly as much.
    'proper' Coca Cola (Caffeine free) the others are too sweet.
    Asda blue label teabags taste just like PG Tips to me.
    Asda ketchup is also very good, and considerably cheaper (but not keen on Sainsburys)
    Agree with above - paracetamols are paracetamols whatever it says on the label!
    Aldi do lovely orange and apple juice (longlife cartons) We won't use anything else and buy it by the caseload.
    Aldi also do very good kids lunchbox biscuits Wacko bars are just the same as Rocky bars at a fraction of the cost.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 21st May 08, 2:16 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    the only thing that has to have a brand name is chocolate...

tried dsdas own the othjer night and it ended in me running to the shop (local) with a coat in my jim jams...

not good.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    • alanfp
    • By alanfp 21st May 08, 2:35 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    alanfp
    weetabix & Carex
    I reckon Sainsbury's Weetibangs taste (and feel!!) the same as Weetabix. The internal packaging is suspiciously similar!

But I made the mistake of trying to save money on Sainsbury's hand cleanser - false economy; end up using twice the amount of Carex, but it's only 30% cheaper
    • BigBadMerlin
    • By BigBadMerlin 21st May 08, 3:25 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BigBadMerlin
    Try Lidl Baked Beans, I must admit the can looks yuck but the product inside is very good and at 22p a can very good value, their Baked Beans with Pork Sausages are also very good and at 28p v Heinz at 86p for the same size tin they are even better value. Also, if you like Peanut Butter try Aldi's, it is imported from the USA and is the best Peanut Butter I have ever tasted, of any brand sold weather famous or own brand.
  • edda
    Roses lime cordial

May be more expensive but tastes much better than all the own brand varieties. And if you're trying to move away from fizzy sweet pop or cola, add it to still or sparking water and it does work out much cheaper. (Try this with other lime juice and you may not want to change).
    • Zeldazog
    • By Zeldazog 21st May 08, 5:18 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Zeldazog
    This thread is great, but I think the point of it was supposed to be, is not about personal taste but about value for money - does it last longer, do you use less, does it do what it says?

The question is "do brands deliver value?" not "which tastes better (to you)?"

Sorry, just my opinion - but I did think there was a thread a while back about taste comparisons, and whether the cheapies were brands in disguise, etc - I know there was defintely a poll type thingy about the Aldi/Lidl/Netto ranges of food and drink a while back.
  • money saver mike
    My OH swears by M&S's Tomato Sauce these days - it's far nicer than Heinz.
    Originally posted by nesssie1702
    I agree with this person, M&S tomato sauce is so much nicer than heinz. I use it in my salsa it's so nice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,026Posts Today

6,608Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin