Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th May 08, 11:02 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 19th May 08, 11:02 AM
    • 19th May 08, 11:02 AM
    Or you can completely cook them, mash them, and keep the mash in portions in the freezer.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • ecangel24
    • 19th May 08, 11:04 AM
    • 19th May 08, 11:04 AM
    Great idea sandran, I always freeze left over mash to then defrost for potato cakes or something.
    • kitchpoo
    • By kitchpoo 19th May 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    kitchpoo
    • 19th May 08, 11:06 AM
    • 19th May 08, 11:06 AM
    Great idea sandran, I always freeze left over mash to then defrost for potato cakes or something.
    Originally posted by ecangel24

ooo potato cakes sound nice...what do you put in them???
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 19th May 08, 11:08 AM
    • 10,110 Posts
    • 125,359 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 19th May 08, 11:08 AM
    • 19th May 08, 11:08 AM
    Or if they are stating to grow shoots, plant them in the garden.........a few months later you might have your own home grown potatoes
  • ecangel24
    • 19th May 08, 11:26 AM
    • 19th May 08, 11:26 AM
    ooo potato cakes sound nice...what do you put in them???
    Originally posted by kitchpoo
    they are not a sweet cake unfortunately but still delicious!
    450g ish of mash
    110g plain flour
    some butter and S&P if not already in the mash

Mix the flour and the mash till forms a dough.
    Roll out into a circle about 1cm thick and cut into triangles like a cake.
    flour a dry pan and fry slowly ( so they cook thorough slightly) till golden on each side.

We have them with bacon and eggs for breakfast or tea. Go well with gammon steaks, egg and veg. Also they go nicely with just butter for breakfast. Up to you.
    But they're a great way to use up potatoes in a different way.
    • JailhouseBabe
    • By JailhouseBabe 19th May 08, 11:39 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,311 Thanks
    JailhouseBabe
    • 19th May 08, 11:39 AM
    • 19th May 08, 11:39 AM
    Or if they are stating to grow shoots, plant them in the garden.........a few months later you might have your own home grown potatoes
    Originally posted by kazwookie
    If I plant them:
    How deep should they be planted?
    Plant at any time of year?
    How will I know if there are more potatoes growing?

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm a complete novice at growing veg
    some people grin and bear it, others smile and do it
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 19th May 08, 12:09 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    • 19th May 08, 12:09 PM
    • 19th May 08, 12:09 PM
    You can plant anywhere. If you don't like digging then shove them in a tub (with holes in the bottom). Bung in a couple of inches of earth, then the potatoes,then cover with a couple of inches.
    When the plants are about 6 inches tall, cover with more soil and let them grow further. Repeat until you've run out of bucket. The plant will eventually flower and die off. Then it's time to get the potatoes out. You can just tip out the potatoes too!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
    • Tired_Mummy
    • By Tired_Mummy 19th May 08, 12:16 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    Tired_Mummy
    • 19th May 08, 12:16 PM
    • 19th May 08, 12:16 PM
    Has anyone tried making gnocci with potatoes? Is it easy? Can you freeze it?

I always seem to have lots of potatoes in need of using up and wondered if gnocci might be another use as well as the mash and par boiled potatoes already mentioned :rolleyes:
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 19th May 08, 12:37 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Has anyone tried making gnocci with potatoes? Is it easy? Can you freeze it?

I always seem to have lots of potatoes in need of using up and wondered if gnocci might be another use as well as the mash and par boiled potatoes already mentioned :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Tired_Mummy
    Hi Tired_Mummy,

I've never made gnocci, but this thread may help:

Help with Gnocci please...

Pink
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 19th May 08, 12:44 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Jailhousebabe,

I planted sprouting baby potatoes last year and had great success. As Kaz said just stick them in anything....I used compost bags, keep earthing them up and about twelve weeks later, once the flowers have died you should have a lovely crop.

These threads from the green fingered board might help:

Potatoes - where to start?

Green potatoes

growing potatoes in an empty compost bag?

Pink
  • MadMonkey
    I do this with all veg - we get a veg box and on the day of delivery i peel, chop, par boil and freeze most of it.

That way i don't end up with manky unused veg

It also means that when tea needs to be quick we do not have to resort to chips as we have mash, roast, diced potatoes frozen.
    It's not paranoia if they really are after you.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 19th May 08, 2:48 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    The bags of spuds I buy are the 2.5kg or the 5kg ones from Tescos.

I just keep them in the fridge and they last all month. Are my potatoes weird?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • Phuddles
    • By Phuddles 21st May 08, 8:12 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Phuddles
    Don't waste potatoes
    I used to live overseas, and bought potatoes by the pocket (huge sackful). As I am from the Emerald Isle, there was no way I was wasting spuds! I used to make my own frozen chips by part cooking them then flash freezing on baking trays before putting them in freezer bags, also home made potato croquettes to freeze. A bit of leftover ham chopped into mash, with or without some grated cheese, then egged, crumbed & fried is absolutely delish! This year I want to try growing my own in bags.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 21st May 08, 8:33 AM
    • 6,384 Posts
    • 5,488 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

you can also mash your potatoes with some boiled turnip (swede), this can be put in trays and frozen,

or use left over mashed potatoes as an alternative pizza base, seasoned to taste.
    Y'all take care now.
  • Auntie Noo
    I also buy 25kg sacks of potatoes from local farm shops. Everyone laughs at me cos i'm single and live alone. But they last forever because they aren't washed, so it takes literally months for them to sprout eyes and go soft, where supermarket ones do in a week. I usually pay between 5 and 6.50 for a 25kg sack.
    • BrandNewDay
    • By BrandNewDay 21st May 08, 9:35 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    BrandNewDay
    The bags of spuds I buy are the 2.5kg or the 5kg ones from Tescos.

I just keep them in the fridge and they last all month. Are my potatoes weird?
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    I think not - I do the same thing and have the same experience. I've only just started doing this. I've got a small fridge, but it's well worth the precious space because I was getting sick of throwing out potatoes.

Oh, I also use those special veggie bags you can buy from Lakeland. They may have something to do with it.

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 21st May 08, 10:20 AM
    • 8,910 Posts
    • 16,202 Thanks
    calleyw
    Originally posted by kazwookie
    You are not suppose to do this for several reasons

1) they are not seed potatoes
    2) are often treated with chemicals
    3) they can introduce stuff in to the soil. Which means it is infected as often potatoes come from outside of the uk.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • sb44
    • By sb44 21st May 08, 10:41 AM
    • 5,182 Posts
    • 12,231 Thanks
    sb44
    You are not suppose to do this for several reasons

1) they are not seed potatoes
    2) are often treated with chemicals
    3) they can introduce stuff in to the soil. Which means it is infected as often potatoes come from outside of the uk.

Yours

Calley
    Originally posted by calleyw
    Yep, I have read this too.

You have to buy special 'seeded' (think they are sometimes called chitted) potatoes to grow from.
    • Zazen999
    • By Zazen999 21st May 08, 11:02 AM
    • 5,915 Posts
    • 9,151 Thanks
    Zazen999
    Yep, I have read this too.

You have to buy special 'seeded' (think they are sometimes called chitted) potatoes to grow from.
    Originally posted by sb44
    They are 'seed' potatoes, and they don't come ready 'chitted'. You chit them by putting them out for a few weeks at the beginning of the year to start their growing process - so that when they are in the ground they have a head start. This works best for 'earlies', which are usually harvested and come out as 'new' potatoes.

Anyhow - i do buy seed spuds for my allotment; but it is very old style to throw potato peelings with shoots on them into the ground and let them grow on. If you have concerns about disease, just keep them separate from the seed potato plant. Or grow them in a pot.

Don't throw away spuds with shoots, unless the spuds are really soft; you can still use them - just take off the shots with a knife before peeling.

Think about it; what happened before marketing?...people would grow their own potatoes from the sprouting potatoes from last year's crop.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

2,728Users online

Martin's Twitter