Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 12th May 08, 12:14 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Money Moral Dilemma. Would you replace your mate's cricket bat?
    • 12th May 08, 12:14 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma. Would you replace your mate's cricket bat? 12th May 08 at 12:14 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you replace your mate's cricket bat?

It’s a summer’s day, and you and a bunch of pals get together for some cricket in the park. You’re playing with your mate’s expensive willow cricket bat. When it’s your turn to bat, you swing it particularly vigorously, and the bat splits. On one hand, you wonder if you should replace it. Yet maybe the bat had had its day, and would have split whoever had been holding it? What would you do?

Click reply to have your say

Can you go giftless to a wedding?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • clueless kid
    • 13th May 08, 11:41 PM
    Would you replace the cricket bat?
    • 13th May 08, 11:41 PM
    Yes, absolutely. If it's in your hands and it gets broken, you are responsible - unless you have been specifically absolved of responsibility beforehand for any breakage. If not - treat the item as if it were your own - with care, and with replacement, if necessary.
  • bungeedood
    • 14th May 08, 12:24 AM
    • 14th May 08, 12:24 AM
    Interesting.....I would try to come to a compromise with the other players and split the cost, after all you would all have had a go eventually. The straw that broke the donkeys back perhaps?
  • alexbutterfield
    • 14th May 08, 12:55 AM
    • 14th May 08, 12:55 AM
    No way. If you are all in it together playing a game, then by bringing your equipment to the game you accept that it might get damaged.

I never made my friend's pay for a new footie if they kicked it on a roof or in front of a car.

If you break it through negligence, eg. by hitting something other than the ball, then that's your fault. But no, not if it's an in game accident.

That said, if the person can't afford to replace it and it's something they use on a regular basis, I'd help them out buying a new one.

This isn't even a dilemma for me.

In my time playing footie on the streets the number of balls that were destroyed or lost by various accidents/acts of stupidty/general wear and tear, and it was usually my ball. I'd just go get another one, accepting that it was all part of the game. I've had balls that I've got straight from the shop and kicked straight into a thorn bush after minutes - gone! another went down a pot-hole of all things, first time I ever played with it on my birthday, another in front of a car the first day I had it, never my fault, but you just accept it. Ive probably been through a couple of hundred. Just get over it.That's the risk you accept by playing a game.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 14th May 08, 6:15 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    • 14th May 08, 6:15 AM
    • 14th May 08, 6:15 AM
    I would at least offer to replace it. The unwritten rule for me is to return borrowed items in similar or better condition. I would expect the same.
  • dannynixon
    • 14th May 08, 7:23 AM
    • 14th May 08, 7:23 AM
    Turn it on its head, would you expect a friend to pay you if it was your bat?
    I know that I certainly wouldn't unless he did something else with it other than its purpose. For this reason, I would not replace it
  • grannylamb
    • 14th May 08, 7:36 AM
    • 14th May 08, 7:36 AM
    I would sue him for giving me something 'not fit for purpose' and for placing my health in danger as a fragment of the split bat could have potentially caused me harm.
    • morg_monster
    • By morg_monster 14th May 08, 8:56 AM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 2,136 Thanks
    morg_monster
    • 14th May 08, 8:56 AM
    • 14th May 08, 8:56 AM
    alex - i see your point but an "expensive willow" cricket bat costs a lot more to replace than a football...

At the end of the day though, if a good quality bat split through normal play, even when cracking out a boundary, it's a fault with the bat. Either it wasn't prepared and knocked in properly (in which case either the owner, or the shop that claimed to prepare it, is at fault and should pay), or it's a manufacturing fault and the manufacturer should replace it free of charge.

I was in a great cricket shop in Kingston the other day when OH was buying a new bat, and they had a poster on the cash desk detailing the damage caused to bats and where they fall under the warranty. Most classes of damage were superficial and caused by factors out of control of the manufacturer and so weren't covered, but the one case where they would replace it within X years was if the bat was split in normal play. So as long as it was oiled and knocked in properly it should be replaced free.

A lesson to go buy your bat from a good knowledgeable sports shop and not sportsoccer if you want that kind of service!!
  • PayPeanuts
    • 14th May 08, 9:07 AM
    • 14th May 08, 9:07 AM
    No! If my mate was really upset or skint I might offer some payment towards it as a friendly gesture but I certainly wouldn't feel obliged to.

If my friend had lent me the bat and I was playing without him/her I would feel responsible for it, but if we were all playing together with them there I would consider it their responsibility.

Personally if I had an expensive willow bat (instead of my crappy second hand one) I would save it for matches and not for messing about in the park. That would be my choice.
  • hpiper
    I would split the cost between the group of friends. If the bat was particulary precious, then the friend shouldn't have brought it along.
    • pochisoldi
    • By pochisoldi 14th May 08, 9:30 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    pochisoldi
    Youíre playing with your mateís expensive willow cricket bat. When itís your turn to bat, you swing it particularly vigorously, and the bat splits.

I wouldn't replace it. If the bat split it was probably because it wasn't "knocked in" properly. (see http://www.abcofcricket.com/Article_Library/art47/art48/art48.htm )

If your mate is such a good batsman that he buys an expensive bat, he must know that if he doesn't "knock it in", then it will be liable to split.

I'd point out his error, and offer to buy him a knocking in mallet, so he can stop his new bat from splitting.

• whizzocki
    You offer to pay, he refuses to let you. That's why you're friends.

Simple pimple.
  • lady_stardust
    You offer to pay, he refuses to let you. That's why you're friends.

Simple pimple.
    Originally posted by whizzocki
    I agree. I would fess up to what happened and offer to pay but if he actually agreed then I would be a bit offended. He should be aware that it was really worn out so it would be a bit mean to sting me for the full cost of the bat.
  • mancrob26
    No.
    It should be expected that you replace items that have been damaged if you borrow them, but this hasn't been borrowed. You are all playing together. It could have gone on the owner as well as anyone else.
  • vampiretribble
    He's my mate, I broke it, of course I'd replace it.

Though I'd probably stand there looking at it in shock for a bit wondering how I was going to get the money together.

I wouldn't actually borrow an expensive bat from a friend, because I wouldn't want to risk breaking it and not being able to afford to pay for it. I would probably find a cheap second hand one to use, thereby also avoiding inconveniencing my friend just by using it.
  • meher
    Would you replace your mate's cricket bat?

Itís a summerís day, and you and a bunch of pals get together for some cricket in the park. Youíre playing with your mateís expensive willow cricket bat. When itís your turn to bat, you swing it particularly vigorously, and the bat splits. On one hand, you wonder if you should replace it. Yet maybe the bat had had its day, and would have split whoever had been holding it? What would you do?
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    yeh 'course and also learn the valuable lesson not to borrow or use of other people's belongings - if you don't have a bat don't play, specially that stupid game cricket
    • rjcb23
    • By rjcb23 14th May 08, 2:28 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    rjcb23
    I don't think I would be stumped if this happened to me. Assuming there's no catch, I would offer my mate a score to cover the costs; maybe an extra four or six quid to run it back to the shop (assuming that's not too wide of the mark).

If the boot was on the other foot, I don't think I would bat an eyelid. It's not like our friendship would be over.

There's a lot of spin attached to these sorts of situations but I think if the ball is in your court and you have ticked all the boxes, then all you have to do is be sensible and work it out amiable with you friend - I know this is true, I searched on www. googlie .comto be sure!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    S: Dini? Ciai? Cificae?
    NS: Wiui? Iiwi? Cificae?

----------------------------------------------------------------
  • meher
    I don't think I would be stumped if this happened to me. Assuming there's no catch, I would offer my mate a score to cover the costs; maybe an extra four or six quid to run it back to the shop (assuming that's not too wide of the mark).

If the boot was on the other foot, I don't think I would bat an eyelid. It's not like our friendship would be over.

There's a lot of spin attached to these sorts of situations but I think if the ball is in your court and you have ticked all the boxes, then all you have to do is be sensible and work it out amiable with you friend - I know this is true, I searched on www. googlie .comto be sure!!
    Originally posted by rjcb23
    you belong to a different league I see
  • CheapSkate
    Of course I'd buy a new one
    Just offering to pay isn't enough. I'd go and do the annoying work of actually getting a replacement.

If I borrowed a friend's car and (while - ahem! - driving vigorously) somehow managed to damage it, of course I'd sort it out.

Sure, he might insist that it's not my problem, but maybe the compromise might be that he'd sort out getting the replacement, and I'd pay for it.
    • gloucesteroldspot
    • By gloucesteroldspot 14th May 08, 4:52 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    gloucesteroldspot
    I would suggest that he asks for his money back from whoever sold it to him in the first place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

7,709Users online

Martin's Twitter