Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Weemac
    • By Weemac 3rd Nov 07, 3:51 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Weemac
    Chicken stock - how to make it and how to use it?
    • 3rd Nov 07, 3:51 PM
    Chicken stock - how to make it and how to use it? 3rd Nov 07 at 3:51 PM
    Hi all!! Just a quick question. Having a roast chicken tomorrow and I always use any leftovers for curry or pasta bake the next day but how do I use the bones to make stock and what can I use this stock for?

Any help gratefully received
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no 694
    Long haul supporters DFW no 12 - DFD - May 2022

Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts
Page 1
    • susank
    • By susank 3rd Nov 07, 4:01 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    susank
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:01 PM
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:01 PM
    Boil up the bones or pressure cook them with water and any ends of veg - i.e. ends of carrots and potato peelings (clean) and use to make soup when ready - I boil it for ages till its really strong with the goodness from the bones and skin. Or freeze for later.
    Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 3rd Nov 07, 4:04 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:04 PM
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:04 PM
    Hi Weemac

Get hold of your biggest pot.

Chuck in your chicken carcase plus any bits and pieces of skin left in the tin. I rescue bones from my families plates for the stockpot but I know some people find this a bit extreme

Next, add a peeled onion, a carrot and if possible astick or two of celery and a leek -all good for flavour.

Cover with water and bring to the boil.

Turn down to a simmer, cover and leave it bubbling away for an hour and a half.

When it is cool strain it and chuck away the solids.

You now have stock. It will not taste like chicken soup but it will be the makings of a good flavoured soup or casserole.

I pour my stock into freezer tubs and freeze.

I use it in soups, stews and casseroles and risottos.

If you keep it in the fridge try and use it all within 4-5 days. You will probably find that it jellies when in the fridge. This is because of all the gelatine in the bones and is a good thing. It will melt when heated obviously.

I think I'm right in saying the stock made with any kind of bones is full of the minerals contained in those bones, so presumably it is calcium rich and extra good for you- also no strange chemicals

HTH
    Last edited by thriftlady; 01-01-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 3rd Nov 07, 4:08 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:08 PM
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:08 PM
    Hi weemac,

I put any leftover chicken (bones, skin and any meat I'm not using for something else) into the oven in the roasting dish to brown........this really helps the flavour of the stock.

Then put the lot into a saucepan........I also throw in any left over veg or half dead bits of veg you find in the bottom of the fridge. (I keep the ends of vegetables and peelings in the freezer specifically for making stock).

Cover it with water, bring to the boil quickly, then reduce the heat and simmer for at least four hours.

Strain the liquid into another pan and discard all the bones/veg etc.

If you intend to freeze the stock to use later, put the pan onto the hob and boil to reduce it to a smaller amount as it takes up less room in the freezer.

A good stock will be jelly like when cold.

The stock can then be used to add flavour to soups, gravy's and sauces.

Hope this helps,

Pink
    • Weemac
    • By Weemac 3rd Nov 07, 4:18 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Weemac
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:18 PM
    • 3rd Nov 07, 4:18 PM
    Thanks for the help - I will try that tomorrow and probably freeze the stock and use it in a risotto next week.
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no 694
    Long haul supporters DFW no 12 - DFD - May 2022

Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts
  • Upsey_daisy
    • 1st Jan 08, 9:58 AM
    Chicken Carcass
    • 1st Jan 08, 9:58 AM
    I am cooking a chicken for dinner today, I am going to try and make it last 2 dinners and 1 lunch but....

How do I make stock from the carcass and what I can the stock be used for :confused:

Thanks..
  • Sola
    • 1st Jan 08, 10:02 AM
    • 1st Jan 08, 10:02 AM
    I'd bung it in a crockpot or large saucepan with an onion/carrots/celery/whatever you have. Cook it on a low heat for a few hours, skim off the fat, strain out the bits. You can use the stock to make soup, or freeze it in large tubs/soupbags, or even in the icecube tray if you just want a little bit at a time.
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 1st Jan 08, 10:30 AM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 1st Jan 08, 10:30 AM
    • 1st Jan 08, 10:30 AM
    I'd bung it in a crockpot or large saucepan with an onion/carrots/celery/whatever you have. Cook it on a low heat for a few hours, skim off the fat, strain out the bits. You can use the stock to make soup, or freeze it in large tubs/soupbags, or even in the icecube tray if you just want a little bit at a time.
    Originally posted by Sola
    Thats what i do, make a big pot of soup and freeze it. Have you any good recipes for me? The one i do is potato, onion, leeks, carrots, a hint of basil and veg stock and when it's all cooked i blend it into a soup and put whatever we don't have in little other pots to have other days. If you have any other ideas what i can put in next please let me know
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Jan 08, 10:40 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 1st Jan 08, 10:40 AM
    • 1st Jan 08, 10:40 AM
    Hi Upsey_daisy,

There's a recent thread on making chicken stock that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Jan 08, 10:42 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Thats what i do, make a big pot of soup and freeze it. Have you any good recipes for me? The one i do is potato, onion, leeks, carrots, a hint of basil and veg stock and when it's all cooked i blend it into a soup and put whatever we don't have in little other pots to have other days. If you have any other ideas what i can put in next please let me know
    Originally posted by Kimberley
    Hi Kimberley,

For lots of soup recipes have a look at this thread:

Soup recipes

Pink
    • bltchef
    • By bltchef 1st Jan 08, 11:56 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    bltchef
    roast you bones with a little honey first to give your stock a golden colour fry off you veg trimings add cold water and bring to boil turn and simmer never boil stock for too long it will make the stock go cloudy and will impear the flavour of your stock have nice new year everyone
    • SparciaM
    • By SparciaM 22nd Jan 08, 11:08 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    SparciaM
    Roast Chicken for Stock
    I'm making a Roast Chicken this evening and usually pick the meat off and use in a curry, but I wanted to try and do a Risotto - so was wondering what the best way is to use the bones and carcass as a stock?

Do I just make sure all meat is off chicken and then place everything else in a pan with onion, celery, carrots and water and just boil for an hour or two - or is there another way?
    • angie loves veg
    • By angie loves veg 22nd Jan 08, 11:24 AM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    angie loves veg
    That's what I do!

I also add 5 peppercorns, a bay leaf and parsley stalks if I have them

Have your chicken as normal tonight. pick off whatever meat you can (use for the curry or save for the risotto), stick everything that is left into a pan
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 22nd Jan 08, 12:07 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 10,057 Thanks
    Seakay
    I bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 3 or 4 hours. Cool a little, get the main 'lumps' out and strain the rest into a clean bowl. When cold, put in fridge overnight to make fat easier to skim off.
    I then reduce liquid by fast boiling to a quarter so that it takes up less room in the freezer. I measure it into 5 fl oz amounts to freeze, and then the frozen block can be added to a dish and up to 15 fl oz boiling water added to dissolve it, depending on how strong I want the flavour to be.
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 22nd Jan 08, 12:32 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 9,273 Thanks
    phizzimum
    making stock is one of those things that's so easy to do, and well worth it.

I don't necessarily put anything else in - just the chicken carcass and water, then i put it all in the slow cooker for...well, depends how long I've got!

I strain it out through a colander into a big bowl, then divide up into smaller containers for the freezer.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 11th May 08, 12:25 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    How do i make my own chicken stock?
    I know this has been posted on here somewhere but i can't find it for the life of me.

Could someone point me in the right direction as i have a chicken nearly ready to carve and i wanted to use the bones for stock...also can the chicken stock be frozen? and how much stock is the equivalent to a chicken oxo cube?

Thanks for your help
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 11th May 08, 12:36 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 2,792 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    3 Pints of water to one chicken carcass.
    1/2 teasp salt (or you can cook it without and season when you use it).

Put in pan with lid and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for one hour. Turn heat off and leave until cold.

If you have a pressure cooker,1/2 hour is fine.
    Leave till cold as above.

Skim any fat off (leave in fridge overnight, it makes it easier).
    Freeze either in one lot, or in small 500g margarine tubs.

One pint = one stock cube.
    Last edited by horsechestnut; 11-05-2008 at 12:38 PM.
  • mandy_moo_1
    just to add, i sometimes put any left over veg, onions etc oh and a bay leaf as well in it.

i do mine in the SC overnight, then just strain all the bones,veg etc out

when its cold i'll just freeze it till i need it

• kippers
    • By kippers 11th May 08, 1:37 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    Thanks, it's on the boil now...yum yum, my own chicken stock.
  • mattogier
    If you cool it in the fridge you can skim the fat (schmultz) off the top and either use it to make fat balls for the birds OR roasting potatos next week.

I suggest that you start the pot off by frying the bits and bones almost until they are stuck to the pan - the dark brown stuff welded to the pan will be released when you add the water and are where the flavour is.

I always use carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf and a few whole pepper corns in the stock pot with the bones - use this as a base for soup or whatever.
    mattogier
    Total Debt Including Mortgage:
    July 2006 - 179k July 2007 - 159k October 2007 - 154k December 2007 -149k October 2008 - 126,525.40
    December 2008 : 120,040.38
    Target: Debt Free before the 2012 Olympics
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

710Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter