Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aril
    • By Aril 12th Sep 05, 12:51 PM
    • 1,882Posts
    • 16,753Thanks
    Aril
    The OS Starter Pack
    • 12th Sep 05, 12:51 PM
    The OS Starter Pack 12th Sep 05 at 12:51 PM
    If someone is just starting out as a "virgin" Old Styler what would your pearls of wisdom be to get them on their way?

Mine are
    1.Buy a flask.

2.Check out your local tourist information and really find out about the area you live in. You may discover free events and all manner of other surprises.

3.Join the library. If you have done so already but haven't been in ages go! The wealth of books on offer is fabulous especially for a book worm like me. Just make sure you return them on time!

Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
Page 1
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 12th Sep 05, 12:53 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 12th Sep 05, 12:53 PM
    Look in the cupboard at all your ingredients. How many meals can you make without having to buy extra?
    • By 16011996 12th Sep 05, 12:53 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    look in your cupboards/fridge/freezer to see just how much food you actually have in there that you can use up before you go shopping again.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Sep 05, 2:39 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 12th Sep 05, 2:39 PM
    • 12th Sep 05, 2:39 PM
    Don't let yourself be put off by the hundreds and hundreds of tips and hints you see when you first start reading and think to yourself "Oh my gosh I can't possibly do all that".

One step at a time. In easy stages. Pick one or two that you think will be easy and rewarding to do and just start with those.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • rumblytum
    • By rumblytum 12th Sep 05, 3:17 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    rumblytum
    • 12th Sep 05, 3:17 PM
    • 12th Sep 05, 3:17 PM
    <i>Don't let yourself be put off by the hundreds and hundreds of tips and hints you see when you first start reading and think to yourself "Oh my gosh I can't possibly do all that".

One step at a time. In easy stages. Pick one or two that you think will be easy and rewarding to do and just start with those.</i>

Thank you Squeaky - it is a bit overwhelming!

Kind regards

rumbly
    • Becles
    • By Becles 12th Sep 05, 3:18 PM
    • 12,893 Posts
    • 26,363 Thanks
    Becles
    • 12th Sep 05, 3:18 PM
    • 12th Sep 05, 3:18 PM
    Easy shopping tips that soon become 'normal' for you!

Non-food purchases: look at the item and decide if you really need it!

Clothes/shoes: buy classic styles that you can wear year after year, rather than fashion items that look dated after a few months.

Food: Take a list and stick to it! Do check out the reduced price sections, especially for food that will freeze, and adjust list if necessary.

Keep an eye on papers/magazines/junk mail/internet for money off coupons and vouchers.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • GIRLPOWER
    • By GIRLPOWER 12th Sep 05, 3:46 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    GIRLPOWER
    • 12th Sep 05, 3:46 PM
    • 12th Sep 05, 3:46 PM
    I started with the cleaning products tips and become very good with a bottle of vinegar.... also cut my dish washer tabs in 1/2 so they last me twice as long!!! saves you lots of money.

when used to this I started with the food ideas... meal planning, then doing a list and sticking to it....

My starter kit would be, a bottle of vinegar and some bicarb of soda.
    • brokenwings
    • By brokenwings 12th Sep 05, 4:26 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    brokenwings
    • 12th Sep 05, 4:26 PM
    • 12th Sep 05, 4:26 PM
    i LOVE this thread

a newbie to OS myself i was feeling overwhelmed and kind of useless

this thread is exactly what i needed

keep the advice coming ladies ( and gents ) and thanks a million!
  • Caixta
    • 12th Sep 05, 5:37 PM
    • 12th Sep 05, 5:37 PM
    Pretend there's an energy crisis. (Come to think of it, the practice might even come in handy... what with petrol/gas/electricity prices soaring)

We've been doing this just for "fun" for a week, but to see whether we can save money, and also to find out how we'd manage if the need really arose.

Side effect: good for the environment.

So, don't spread yourselves all over the house in the evening. Sit in a room together and share the light in there rather than having lights burning all around the home.

Walk/cycle as much as possible. Be strict with yourself over short car journeys.

Think about your use of the cooker - try and use the oven to its fullest each time.

You can probably think of lots of other fuel saving habits, just pretend to yourself that there's a real shortage, and if money is tight, then there's another very good incentive.
    "By not unsettling men, you will reassure them. By unsettling men either through timidity or malice, you are always compelled to keep a knife in hand." - Niccolo Machiavelli, 1469-1527
  • Noozan
    Try to invest in a slow cooker
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 12th Sep 05, 6:20 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    i have to agree with all the advice above, and would suggest starting slowly.

One question that's good to ask in the supermarket when buying an item is 'could I make this myself'. it's a good starting point.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 12th Sep 05, 6:35 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 20,945 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    I keep starting all these challenges & get sidetracked, & therefore 'fail' in my own eyes. So, this month, although I started with good intentions, I have wobbled a bit, but some simple things I have stuck to.
    I cancelled most of my craft magazine subscriptions - they seem to be repeating things! - which should save me about 120 a year.
    Also, we didn't restart our daily & Sunday newspaper deliveries after our hols, saving over 3 a week; we just get one when we need it.
    Finally, I have started asking hubbie to buy odd things in supermarket when he passes - & that's all he buys - no impulse purchases for him!!
    I'm hoping to change my job soon, for fewer hours, or else pack in my main job, so I'm already being a bit tight with money in preparation, so the drop in income won't be such a shock!
    If anyone has any more helpful hints, I'd love to know.
    Ta muchly
    • toozie
    • By toozie 12th Sep 05, 6:57 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    We don't own a tumble dryer, so washing has to be dried outside, or I have a line in the garage for rainy days. Only wash a full load of clothes, and use much less powder than I used to. (Always buy powder/tablets when its on offer, and stock pile) My DD2 had a skin condition when she was a baby, stopped using fabric conditioner then as it seemed to irritate her skin, never started using it after-that was 14 years ago! If you hang things out carefully, and fold them when they come in, lots of stuff does not need ironing....saving time and electric.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 12th Sep 05, 7:10 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    culpepper
    Whenever you are thinking of a non essential purchase,try to think of at least 3 uses for the item,if you cant,dont buy it.
    eg.when I bought my first food processor years ago,I thought the juicer and grater would be fantastic for marmalade(they are),the blade kneads bread and I make my own pasta in it.
    • Yorkielass
    • By Yorkielass 12th Sep 05, 7:24 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 9,057 Thanks
    Yorkielass
    thanks there are some great tips here - bought the slow cooker and starting with the vinegar already

Going to make a real effort to cook things from stratch - that's going to be my big thing to start with
  • caffeinehit
    Coloured card
    Fabric scraps from John Lewis or similar
    Craft knife

et voila - everything you need to make your own greetings cards. They don't need to be fancy, you can make them while watching telly and indulge your creative urges at the same time. Saves a fortune on buying them from Paperchase as well.
  • bluemoon
    Weekly menu plans! They make such a difference to the food bill, because you know what you need to buy, rather than picking up random things.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hey

My advice would be to:

Use vinegar for cleaning.
    Routine for everything
    Buy a slow cooker
    Have a look at what food you already have and meal plan
    Cook everything from scratch
    Freeze leftovers or use up next day
    Flask-sometimes make a flask of coffee up and use throughout day to save on kettle electric
    Bake HM cakes & biscuits

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • Blink
    This post couldn't have come at a better time.

I have just moved into my first house with my boyfriend after 6 (very long) months of renovations. Having spent much more than we planned, I now need to save money wherever possible.

I tried to remember some of the things I read on here when I was cleaning and moving in.

I thought to myself the other day that it would takes ages to wade through all these wanderful posts to find things suitable so this particular post is great for me.

Thanks guys.
  • Bendybops19
    Oooh this really is a good post! I have to admit that i am awful with money, (well not so much me, more my boyfriend) and its awful when u look back at your statements and see what ridiculous amounts of money have gone where.
    I will be doing the 'do i realllly need this?' thing from now on!

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

6,567Users online

Martin's Twitter