Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 72
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 6th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Either way it works at pay@pump which is a must for me. The only bugbear I have is cash machines always bring up a message saying my card issuer may charge me and asks if I want to continue or not. You never get this with Visa debit cards.

Also the instant notifications only happen if you have the app always open in the background.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Pay at Pump isn't a definitive indicator of online as the card issuer can disable this or not. My (RIP) N&P debit card worked at Pay at Pump but other issuers (e.g. RBS) disable Pay at Pump on their online debit cards.

I like the flexibility of a (cheapie) debit card when travelling
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 6th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Pay at Pump isn't a definitive indicator of online as the card issuer can disable this or not. My (RIP) N&P debit card worked at Pay at Pump but other issuers (e.g. RBS) disable Pay at Pump on their online debit cards.

I like the flexibility of a (cheapie) debit card when travelling
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    It's the same with contactless payments. It was touted as being quick as the retailer didn't have to authorise it at the point of transaction etc etc. Yet if I'm receiving an instant alert from the Starling app that I used my card, then some connection is being made to the outside world from the retailer.
    • username
    • By username 7th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    username
    It's the same with contactless payments. It was touted as being quick as the retailer didn't have to authorise it at the point of transaction etc etc. Yet if I'm receiving an instant alert from the Starling app that I used my card, then some connection is being made to the outside world from the retailer.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    I think they have recently changed this so that ALL contactless transactions now have to be authorised online, irrespective of how they are made (using a card, device etc) and for whatever amount.

It's not so noticeable in places which have a permanent connection as only adds a second or two onto the transaction time, however, those places with stand alone card machines connected to a dialup phone line it is most apparent the transaction goes online, and is like returning to ye olde days when cards came out.
    • Heathereve
    • By Heathereve 7th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Heathereve
    Reminds me of the days before I had mine stolen !!!128549;
    Keep them safe guys because it's a lot of hassle getting them all replaced and even remembering exactly what was in there
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 7th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I've recently had a clear out of my purse and this is the condensed version

Debit cards x 4
    Tesco credit card
    Tesco clubcard
    Sparks card
    AA breakdown card
    Driving licence
    Library card x 2 (mine and my 4 year old's)
    National insurance card
    Give blood card
    Co-op card
    Boots card
    Matalan card
    Morrisons card
    Hairdresser appointment card
    10 note
    Just under 5 in change
    Trolley coin x 2.
    Finally debt free (other than the mortgage) - 05/02/18
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S.....life after debt' below:
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 7th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I think they have recently changed this so that ALL contactless transactions now have to be authorised online, irrespective of how they are made (using a card, device etc) and for whatever amount.

It's not so noticeable in places which have a permanent connection as only adds a second or two onto the transaction time, however, those places with stand alone card machines connected to a dialup phone line it is most apparent the transaction goes online, and is like returning to ye olde days when cards came out.
    Originally posted by username
    I suspected as much - Waitrose and Tesco used to spit out the receipt virtually instantly, now they take a few seconds.
    • cardi_b
    • By cardi_b 16th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cardi_b
    Coutts Debit Card
    Coutts Silk Credit Card
    HSBC Premier Debit Card
    Barclays Premier Debit Card
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 17th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    Halifax Current Account debit card

Tesco clubcard

Nectar card

Stagecoach megarider smartcard

Various library cards

Hull College student card
    • hangonthebox
    • By hangonthebox 6th Jun 18, 1:41 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    hangonthebox
    Yorkshire Bank contactless Debit Mastercard
    Yorkshire Building Society Cashcard (YBS e-saver)
    Boots Advantage Card
    Co-Op Membership Card
    Liverpool Libraries card
    • LMcScrooge
    • By LMcScrooge 27th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LMcScrooge
    If anyone is still on this thread, i'll add the contents of mine, after I ask this; Why do so many of you have multiple debit cards?

My wallet contains as of writing this:
    Debit card
    Library card (I'm surprised so few people have one)
    Nectar card (currently worth about 10)
    Morrisons More card (yet to use, may cancel)
    10 note
    Couple of 1 coins

I chose a wallet over cardholder as I couldn't deal with the mini heart attack that comes with not being able to feel it in my pocket.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 27th Aug 18, 4:37 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Why do so many of you have multiple debit cards?
    Originally posted by LMcScrooge
    Could be down to the fact that you get them dished out whenever you go for another high-interest current account offering and could also be because you sometimes need a debit card to log into online banking.

Quite why people carry them all around with them is another matter - and potentially quite risky.
    • LMcScrooge
    • By LMcScrooge 27th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LMcScrooge
    Does one person really need 3 current accounts?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 27th Aug 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Does one person really need 3 current accounts?
    I've got 10 (I've just closed two so it was twelve).

They all have linked savings accounts or pay rewards, cashback, that sort of thing etc.

In my main wallet, I've currently got:
    1 x credit card
    2 x debit cards
    1 x travelcard
    44.82 cash

In my reserve wallet, I've got:
    2 x credit card
    8 x debit cards
    20 cash
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• LMcScrooge
    • By LMcScrooge 27th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LMcScrooge
    How do you get use out of 12 bank+savings accounts though? I don't earn enough to get one account off the 'basic' intereste rates, let alone 12.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 27th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Some of the accounts I just keep a pound in, and then I claim the switch reward or open a linked regular savings account. With the exception of the TSB (my main current account paying 5% interest), I just pay a transfer in and then transfer out the same amount once a month to claim the reward for some accounts. Nationwide FlexDirect I keep 2500 in for 5% interest, Tesco current I keep 3000 in for 3% interest etc etc
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 27th Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    How do you get use out of 12 bank+savings accounts though? I don't earn enough to get one account off the 'basic' intereste rates, let alone 12.
    I guess it is down to how much money you have at your disposal. Some are lucky enough to be able to open up multiple current accounts - all of which pay relatively high interest (or some other sort of reward).

TSB and Nationwide (to name but two) both pay 5% interest on balances up to a certain limit, so it is useful to fill that type of account up to the interest limit and then take advantage of their linked regular savers - some also paying up to 5%.

Once you've filled up the high-interest current accounts and high-interest regular savers you then move to other regular savers and thence on to conventional easy-access/notice/fixed rate savers.

Much also depends on whether you are recycling existing savings or using income to fund your savings.

If you don't have enough cash to play the game widespread, you can still pick a high-interest current account and make the most of it. If you are worried about meeting the pay-in requirements but you have cash savings elsewhere you can probably transfer those in and out to fulfil requirements.

E.G. Nationwide FlexDirect requires 1000 per month pay-in to get the interest. If you don't have enough income to meet that but have, say, 100 to spare in your 'usual' current account, you could arrange to transfer that 100 in and out 10 times during the month by STO. Job done!
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 28th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 4,149 Thanks
    Sapphire
    Debit Card
    Nectar Card
    Waitrose Card
    BM membership card
    V&A membership card
    Driving licence (for ID purposes)
    Tube map
    Gym membership card
    Assorted business cards
    c. 25 in cash

That's it. Don't have time to fiddle about with opening other accounts than my main one (and monitoring them, and ensuring the cards don't get stolen). No wonder some people feel the need to have spreadsheets, keep track of their spending, etc.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 28th Aug 18, 10:15 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    Robisere
    What is in my wallet is my business only.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 28th Aug 18, 11:20 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    What is in my wallet is my business only.
    Originally posted by Robisere

....wow....
    • Vet
    • By Vet 29th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Vet
    TSB debit card
    TSB credit card
    Driving license
    Dust
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,088Users online

Martin's Twitter