Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    melie3
    Trying really hard to OS but the prices keep going up
    • 8th Apr 08, 5:26 PM
    Trying really hard to OS but the prices keep going up 8th Apr 08 at 5:26 PM
    hi all,
    im sure im not the only one, but im fed up with the nearly weekly price rises in the shops. im on a v v tight budget, and notice quite a few of my ordinary buys have increased overnight by 30-40p. I regularly buy 'clover' spread. the 1kg has increased from 2.67 to 2.97 overnight. anyone know of an alternative cheaper i can use to make cakes (except stork as dont like taste). read on side of the 'own brand' spreads but doesnt say you can bake with them only shallow fry.
    im just peeved that everythings going up, not by a few pence. whens it going to stop eh?
    to be honest, i never took much notice a few months ago at prices, they may have increased at the same rate for all i know, i spend so much longer shopping, as i go to tesco, asda and sainsburys to get the best deals. just trying to look after my pennies as best i can.

melie

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-05-2008 at 7:24 PM.
Page 1
  • lucasmum
    • 8th Apr 08, 5:57 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 5:57 PM
    I use whatever shop I'm in's value spreads for baking and it always turns out fine. Couldn't tell you what price I pay but its under 1. But I do also use stork and never noticed the taste so you may well find the same problem with the value stuff.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 8th Apr 08, 6:03 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,920 Thanks
    kippers
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:03 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:03 PM
    I've used the value Tesco Marg to cook with and to make bread and its been fine
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 8th Apr 08, 6:17 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:17 PM
    I get a huge tub from Tesco 1 or 2 kg for about £2.
    Actually yes flora (see below) in mine is 60p but has a 30p off coupon inside the tub.
    I know what you mean about the prices though- they're getting worse.
    Last edited by Kaz2904; 08-04-2008 at 6:22 PM.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
  • moo2moo
    Flora is 1/2 price at Tesco at the mo. 66p per 500g.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : 183.50
  • ravylesley
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:19 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:19 PM
    I use the 2kg Soft Margarine from Asda.Be careful of the Tesco ultra cheapy marg as it does say on the tub not for use in baking or cooking and I didnt notice until after I'd made a rather nasty cake with it.So best to avoid this one

Lesleyxx
    • jordylass
    • By jordylass 8th Apr 08, 6:33 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    jordylass
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:33 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:33 PM
    I use that one from Asda too, fine for baking and it has no hydrogenates in it.

I also get the spreadable butter for bread though, and thought the best price was Asda £1.70 for 500g, but money is tight at the moment and i was looking around. Sainsburys OB of this is £1.54 and Aldi had it for £1.39
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 8th Apr 08, 6:56 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:56 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:56 PM
    I know Tesco's white vinegar has just gone up from 44p to 52p (IIRC) along with the cheese I buy £1.98 to £2.20!
    • aimme13
    • By aimme13 8th Apr 08, 7:15 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    aimme13
    • 8th Apr 08, 7:15 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 7:15 PM
    AH!! this explains why the cake I made just seems a bit weird, have always just bought the value stuff but just checked and the tescos value spread does have in very small writing 'not suitable for home baking' oh well my son just had a slice and liked it

Dont even get me started on the price rises!
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I was doing the price changes at work this morning and was very shocked to see kit kat went up 10p. I agree about the price rises. I use sainsburys soft spread 2kg suitable for baking. Quite cheap compared to the others sorry I can't remember how much. I only like president unsalted butter on my bread but buy what ever is on bogof for the rest of the family. There is usually utterly butterly or clover at the co op or the spar
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • DonnaP
    • By DonnaP 8th Apr 08, 7:44 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    DonnaP
    Food shopping blues
    Hi

Is anyone else finding it hard getting into a food shopping routine now trying to be moneysaving? :confused:

I used to do a weekly shop on a Tuesday at Morrisons (about 5 miles away) which pretty much sorted us out food wise. I meal planned for the week and bought what I needed from Morrisons.

We topped up with milk from the shop around the corner and topped up with fruit and veg from the local Friday market.

I knew where I was and got into a routine. Now I am trying to get the best price, I seem to be always shopping. I now do a 'weekly' shop at the local Aldi (I say 'weekly' as I can't get everything from there). I refuse to shop in the local Co-op as their prices are sky high, so I then have to pick item x up from here and item y from there as it is cheaper. Milk is cheaper from the farm shop, so I call there, and so it goes on.

TBH it is starting to get me down and I am not sure if it is really saving that much and is instead taking up a lot of time. My twin DD's started school last September and all I seem to do is housework and food shopping and preparation.

I don't know, perhaps it's me, but I feel fed up. It wouldn't be so bad if my local supermarket was Tescos and I could do a weekly cheap food shop where I could get everything, but Aldi is limited (even though it is cheap).

Any suggestions or thoughts??

Donna

P.S. Forgot to add, I am also only buying meat from the butchers and the best one is 6 miles away.
    Last edited by DonnaP; 08-04-2008 at 7:48 PM.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 8th Apr 08, 7:51 PM
    • 36,860 Posts
    • 474,383 Thanks
    pigpen
    I think morrisons is really expensive anyway.. I 'item for item' shopped at tesco/asda/morrisons today actually.. tesco came to £10 cheaper than asda and £15 cheaper than morrisons..

I shop online as it stops the temptation of 'offers' on stuff I don't need.. I don't have to walk by the biscuit aisle and I don't ever 'impulse buy' which was my main problem.

Do tesco do home delivery to you? It would free up time from shopping and it would leave you more time to do other stuff.. slobbing on the sofa watching trashy day time tv for example.

Peel enough potatoes at one meal to do the meal for tomorrow and keep them in cold water in the fridge it will be fine overnight.. I do this for us.. it does mean peeling 10lb of potatoes in one go which is a nightmare.

Batch cook and freeze.. then one day a week you don't have to cook.

Re the housework.. come visit us onthe flylady thread.. we do one room a day and our houses are immaculate.. .. no really.. I don't do lying!

if I think of anything else (being queen of bottom sitting) I'll be back!

the butchers I cheat.. my BIL is the local butcher.. and my sister works in the greengrocers at the end of the street.. perfect couple.. meat and 2 veg!! lol So I get the best meat and veg and a discount!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
  • bertiebots
    Would it be possible to do a shop with tesco/asda online? this would save you so much trouble....I have to admit I sometimes pay a little more (a few pence here and there)for something at the place I am doing my shop rather than trail elsewhere ....petrol cost wise there is no saving if I am driving all over the place . Its a shame your coop is so expensive as I find our local is very reasonable.
    Its not getting any easier either with the high food price increases..things are going up on a weekly basis. I really dont know what else to suggest...not much help I am afraid!
    JAN GC- 155.77 out of 200 FEB GC 197.31 out of 180. MARCH GC - out of 200
    • merrymary
    • By merrymary 8th Apr 08, 8:02 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    merrymary
    I can't believe the price of tesco tinned tuna in brine from 29p to 59p !!!
    Asda's one is still 29p. So guess where i'll be getting mine...
    We always buy this stuff as hubby likes his tuna.
    Why the price hike suddenly?
    Last edited by merrymary; 08-04-2008 at 8:04 PM.

• Claire70
    I tend to buy whats on offer even if it means changing brands.
    • merrymary
    • By merrymary 8th Apr 08, 8:13 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    merrymary
    I bought 2 tubs flora as well 60p each. Is it the best marg/butter offer at the mo or is there any better ones out there?

Just checked in mysupermarket
    Utterly butterly is on offer for 1 for 1kg slightly cheaper than tesco's own brand. So stock up!!!

• purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I tend to buy whichever brand of spread is on offer in preference to own brand. If Branded on offer isn't available, then I use own brand.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 8th Apr 08, 8:30 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    I was just commenting on the price rises myself today............. I think our weekly food bill has gone up by at least 10-15 a week within the last few months.

I can't get over the price of bread, time to get using my breadmaker me thinks!!!

EM xx

PS I use the cheaper margs for cooking also.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato Make 2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = 1626.25/2018
  • lamplady
    I think you have to put a limit on how many shops you go to, as life is for living rather than shopping. it might be that you need to think about different meals too - we are fairly exotic eaters but find we can do most shopping at aldi as their deli section is really excellent.

My routine is this:
    (We are a family of 7 with no car at the moment)
    Monthly bulky items shop - loo roll, tins, nappies
    Weekly shop at aldi
    Fortnightly shop at asian grocers- great for spices and dry goods
    Monthly trip to M&S - get their offers, especially chickens!
    Fortnightly butcher and fishmonger run

So it's a maximum of 1-2 shops a week,and we have a very healthy cupboard for under £100 most weeks - though it's definitley going up at the moment.

• Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 8th Apr 08, 10:18 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    I do this - I do my main shop at Tesco which is 8 miles away (ordered it this week for elivery for the first time to save the trip), Somerfield next to work for their offers, then Morrisons at the end of my road for their offers and sausages (can't shop there mainly as its expensive!) I used to find I was spending twice as much as I should be picking up loads of 'bits' but I now find I've got a very well stocked freezer and cupboards and my 'monthly' tesco shop being delivered tomorrow is just over £30. I will need eggs and fruit on top but hope to get these at the farm shop so I don't have too much temptation from any other shopping!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter