Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 22nd Apr 08, 4:51 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you ask for the sponsorship money back?
    • 22nd Apr 08, 4:51 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you ask for the sponsorship money back? 22nd Apr 08 at 4:51 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you ask for the sponsorship money back?

A few months ago a friend of yours entered to run a marathon in aid of Cancer Research. You knew it would be difficult for them so agreed pay £50 in sponsorship, which has already come out of your bank account and gone straight to the charity. The race took place last week but you've just heard that your friend actually completed less than half the distance becuase they were tired and also went out drinking the night before. Would you ask for the sponsorship money back?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Would you take the job?
    Should little sis get a holiday too?

UPDATE NOTE FROM MARTIN RE CANCER RESEARCH

As with all charities they have their supporters and detractors. THis thread isn't here to discuss the pros and cons of the charity. It's about the dilemma of sponsorship, so in your own head feel free to replace Cancer Research with NSPCC, Re_Cycle or any other you support.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-04-2008 at 9:28 AM.
Page 1
    • kelda_shelton
    • By kelda_shelton 22nd Apr 08, 9:16 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    kelda_shelton
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:16 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:16 PM
    No - but I'd make it clear I thought they'd copped out and they shold also donate a big chucnk to the casue to make up for it
  • hpiper
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:37 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:37 PM
    I'd be very cross that the person abused my trust and wouldn't sponser them again in the future.. The money has aleady been spent so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • Ephemera
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:39 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:39 PM
    I wouldn't ask for the money back but I would make it clear to the person concerned that I was not happy at their behaviour and would not support them in such a thing again.
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• taka
    • By taka 22nd Apr 08, 9:45 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 16,663 Thanks
    taka
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:45 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:45 PM
    No I would not ask for the money back... Its going to a good cause and I'd chosen to support it by sponsoring my friend. I have to say I'd be a bit annoyed with my friend about the hangover getting in the way of the marathon though and depending on the friend I'd probably try and guilt trip them into doing something else for the charity to make up for it! :rolleyes:
    MFiT-4 no 30

You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • bagby
    • By bagby 22nd Apr 08, 9:53 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    bagby
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:53 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:53 PM
    agree with above posts. Wouldnt ask for my money back as I think when you sponsor someone it is for the charity and it doesnt matter what the person is actually doing although I would think twice about sponsoring that person again.
    • gibby
    • By gibby 22nd Apr 08, 9:56 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    gibby
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:56 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 9:56 PM
    I wouldnt throw my money away to Cancer research in the first place

they admitted last year that they have got no further forward and that 99% of their research is a waste of time

donating to cancer research means you give to very highly paid scientists to test on animals - often without care of pain killers
    they do this massively, cats, dogs, rabbits, primates etc

despite billions being ploughed into CA and similar firms there are more ppl dying of cancer than ever before

80% of US Drs claimed they would not take current cancer cures as the treatment kills more ppl than the cancer does

for alternative research groups check out the EMP or dr hadwen trust

sorry to be negative but it annoys me when i see money wasted on CA etc and ppl dying when other methods are far better -

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 22nd Apr 08, 10:06 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 48,358 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 22nd Apr 08, 10:06 PM
    • 22nd Apr 08, 10:06 PM
    split decison- she did half race, so owes you 1/2 money back.. but if you can afford to 'lose' the whole amount to charidee, all well and good.

thogh the slacker needs to buy you a few rounds to make up for it.
    • Marisan
    • By Marisan 23rd Apr 08, 6:38 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Marisan
    • 23rd Apr 08, 6:38 AM
    • 23rd Apr 08, 6:38 AM
    I wouldn't ask for the money back,as it is hardly the Charity's fault that my friend let us both down.Cancer Research is my chosen charity anyway,having lost both parents and father-in-law as well as friends (one just a teenager) to this dreadful disease.
    However,my mate could whistle next time he/she came looking for sponsership.
    .Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Graham210245
    I would not ask for my money back. If he was a friend I would know what he is like and despite all his training wouldn't be at all surprised if he went drinking the night before. I would (a) applaud his efforts and (b) willingly donate to such a good cause.
  • laneontour
    I would certainly ask for half of it back. However, I rarely sponsor people in this way (if at all) before they have completed the challenge. Some people climb a volcano or cylcle across Peru for charity and I don't contribute to their experience as I feel I am paying for their holiday rather than giving money to charity since they go for free if they raise enough money. A marathon is close to that if you don't train (as it can be a fun experience) so I wait to see if they train and work at it before I contribute.
  • stogiebear
    I would feel cheated so yes, I would want my money back.

Charities in the UK are a scam anyway, so I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Still - it makes the idiots with extra cash feel good about themselves so I suppose it's harmless.
  • Bertiewoo
    Sponsorship
    I'd ask for some of the donation back - if they only completed half the course then I'd ask for half my donation.
    However, I'd then pass this onto the charity directly so they didn't miss out so they would actually get extra as mine had already been given before the race and this way the person who'd not completed the event would effectively be fined.
    If though the runner had been ill and really couldn't compete I'd let it go and say nothing.
    By letting people off the hook they get away with this kind of behaviour and will no doubt try it again with a new lot of sponsors another time. There can be a lot of competition between people all looking for sponsors from the same office / club and I think this person would be cheating the other runners as well as me if I turned a blind eye
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 23rd Apr 08, 8:39 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    No, I regard a sponsorship for charity to be the same as a charitable donation. The charity can keep the money I paid, but I would be asking my "friend" for direct reimbursement.
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 23rd Apr 08, 8:45 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965

they admitted last year that they have got no further forward and that 99% of their research is a waste of time

donating to cancer research means you give to very highly paid scientists to test on animals - often without care of pain killers
    they do this massively, cats, dogs, rabbits, primates etc
    Originally posted by gibby
    I totally agree with you Gibby. I upset one of the women at work last year when she asked me to sponsor her in the Race for Life and I refused because I don't agree with testing on animals. I think the cancer research industry is one big money making exercise with no proven successes that I am aware of. I do however contribute to local cancer hospices.

Anyway, back to the thread - no I wouldn't ask for my money back, if it was going to a charity I agreed with in the first place. I would give the friend a bit of a ribbing though!
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 23rd Apr 08, 9:03 AM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    No way would I ask for the money back. Charity is charity and they still ran 1/2 the marathon - that's still an achievement. I have worked along side Cancer research UK sponsored PhD students and I do not think their work is a waste of time.

Most biological scientific research does not result in a direct medical benefit to people immediately but given time, the cumulation of research knowledge can
  • cypher915
    I agree with previous posts and would not ask for my money back. I would NOT support my friend in the future and would make them painfully aware that I felt they had not fulfilled their end of the bargain.
  • wardmw
    No.
    No. If I sponsored them per mile then I would pay them that much only, but since I sponsored a lump sum to do the run and they at least tried then let it go. The money has gone to charity after all. If you have budgeted well enough that you can sponsor someone 50 for charity then you should be prepared to shell out that much to the charity in question.

|\/|artin
    • ryandj
    • By ryandj 23rd Apr 08, 9:27 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    ryandj
    I would let Cancer Research keep the money but would insist that the runner matched my donation!

Originally posted by gibby
    As a research scientist myself (not in cancer but in pharmaceuticals) i think this is slightly misleading. Most scientific research ends in failed experiments, but that is not to say it is a waste of time - mistakes and what does not work can be learned from and used in future research so it is not a waste of time, it all contributes to the learnings and future cures.

There is nothing wrong with paying 'highly paid researh scientists' - and I am not too sure what you count as highly paid, as compared to bankers/ investers which is arguably less skillful and less beneficial than cancer research- scientists get paid less!
  • suzithefloozy
    I am one of these so called 'highly paid scientists'.

I have spent 8 years doing a BSc and then a PhD. After my PhD finishes I am looking at a salary of 25k per year. Do you think this is highly paid? My husband earns more as a lorry driver and I'm sure he didn't have to study for 8 years to learn to do that.

Not all of us test on animals either. I personally wouldn't, probably for similar reasons to most people. However, I take paracetamols when I have a headache and antibiotics when I get an infection, all of which have been tested on animals, so I don't get on my high horse about it. That would be a bit hypocritical?

Just goes to show people who know sweet FA about a subject are still willing to give their opinion on it.

I just hope those people never need to use the benefit of our 'waste of time' research.

As for the question asked, no I wouldn't ask for it back (but I probably wouldn't have been able to afford to give as much as 50 in the first place even though I am so 'highly paid') as it's for a charity and I would have already budgeted for it.

The knowledge that my friend was in pain and discomfort after a night out drinking and then trying to run a long race would be enough. They would obv. get the mickey taken out of them for a long time to come too!
    Last edited by suzithefloozy; 23-04-2008 at 9:45 AM.
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!!

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin