Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 1st Sep 05, 9:30 PM
    • 2,388Posts
    • 2,234Thanks
    Zziggi
    Apple Sauce
    • 1st Sep 05, 9:30 PM
    Apple Sauce 1st Sep 05 at 9:30 PM
    Hello everyone

I am looking for an apple sauce recipe. A friend of mine told me that it has to be a special recipe as some recipes for apple sauce are not suitable for being kept. With my glut of windfall apples I was hoping to make some apple sauce to put in jars to give away at the end of the year.

Can anyone help please?
Page 1
  • miacat
    • 2nd Sep 05, 9:35 PM
    • 2nd Sep 05, 9:35 PM
    Hi zzigi, i found this recipe for sauce, don't know what it's like cos i've never made it though. Anyway you can freeze it for 9 months.

1lb cooking apples,peeled, cored and sliced.
    Finely grated rind of 1 lemon.
    2 tblsp lemon juice
    2 tblsp sugar or to taste.
    2 tblsp water.
    1oz butter, cut into small pieces.

Place apples in a large pan with the lemon rind and juice,sugar and water.bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 mins or until apples or soft. Either rub apples through a sieve or puree in a blender or food processer. beat in the butter. serve hot with pork or cold as a dessert .can freeze for up to 9 months. defrost at room temp for 4 hours.
    Last edited by miacat; 02-09-2005 at 9:43 PM.
  • jembie
    • 21st Mar 07, 9:03 AM
    Home made Apple sauce
    • 21st Mar 07, 9:03 AM
    I have always made my own Apple sauce because it is much cheaper and tastes a lot better cos I don't put any sugar or salt in it.

I used to boil the apples up with a little water and then mash it up with a fork. Now I have my blender though I have started doing it in there as it is much less time consuming. However I have found that it goes brown almost instantly. I put a little Lemon juice in but that didn't help.

So do you know why it is going brown? Does it mean I still have to stew it first to stop the brown-ness?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
  • the optimist
    • 21st Mar 07, 9:22 AM
    • 21st Mar 07, 9:22 AM
    I would say yes because I noticed the same. But I make my apple sauce in the microwave and it doesn't take long. Why not stew it first in the microwave and then finish it off in the blender (actually, might do that myself next time)?
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • jembie
    • 23rd Mar 07, 11:46 AM
    • 23rd Mar 07, 11:46 AM
    Thanks.
    It is weird that it has to be heated first but as you say it is only a couple of minutes in the microwave anyway
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
    • amyandoli
    • By amyandoli 23rd Mar 07, 11:50 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    amyandoli
    • 23rd Mar 07, 11:50 AM
    • 23rd Mar 07, 11:50 AM
    I do mine in the microwave too. 1 bramley, diced, in cereal bowl, plate on top, cover with boiling water and microwave on high 4 minutes. drain, blend. I add sweetener and sometimes a pinch of nutmeg as dh likes it.
    • hollyh
    • By hollyh 24th Jun 07, 10:18 AM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 114,936 Thanks
    hollyh
    • 24th Jun 07, 10:18 AM
    Apple sauce
    • 24th Jun 07, 10:18 AM
    Hi

My oh came home the other day with 3 big pieces of pork (reduced )

There's one in the slow cooker today and i want some apple sauce to go with it. As i don't really cook pork very often we haven't got any.

Does any one have a recipe for apple sauce please?
    • wokkies
    • By wokkies 24th Jun 07, 10:20 AM
    • 8,240 Posts
    • 90,691 Thanks
    wokkies
    • 24th Jun 07, 10:20 AM
    • 24th Jun 07, 10:20 AM
    we usually just put the apple sliced in a jug in the microwave or in a pan with a little bit of water and cook them till soft then mash them up or blend, then you've got yummy apple sauce, hope that made sense
    to be updated:
    • hollyh
    • By hollyh 24th Jun 07, 10:25 AM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 114,936 Thanks
    hollyh
    • 24th Jun 07, 10:25 AM
    • 24th Jun 07, 10:25 AM
    Thanks wokkies that sounds nice and easy which i like.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 24th Jun 07, 11:16 AM
    • 7,850 Posts
    • 27,978 Thanks
    Nicki
    This is a really nice one, which I've just made:

Fry 1 small onion in a tbsp butter until soft but not coloured. Add 1 bramley cooking apple and 1 coxes eating apple, plus 2 tbsp water or cider. Put lid on and cook for about 10 mins until fluffy. Sprinkle with nutmeg and beat with wooden spoon until smooth.

Its a lovely grown up, slightly savoury flavour. I find the straight ones (and the ones from a jar) to be too sweet for meat - more filling for apple pies than condiment!
    • linda-ann
    • By linda-ann 15th Nov 07, 10:28 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    linda-ann
    Apple Sauce
    My son brought a big carrier bag of apples home from the tree in his friends
    garden.If I make apple sauce and freeze it will it be ok when defrosted .I am worried that it might be too thin and runny after it defrosts:confused:
  • scuzz
    Yes it will be fine - saw Mum doing it at the weekend
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • champys
    it is actually one of the best-freezing things i know - no problem whatsoever. also think of cutting some of your apples up into cubes and freezing them in bags - they are great if you want to make a quick apple crumble. no need to defrost: just shake them into an oven dish as they are, add some sugar (plus other fruits from your freezer if you have them), put the crumble mixture on top and straight into the oven.

a recent post also mentioned having a stock of crumble mixture ready in the freezer - now we have crumble even more often!
    • linda-ann
    • By linda-ann 15th Nov 07, 11:45 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    linda-ann
    Thanks I'll do that tomorrow also a handy tip for crumble.

I'll also make a couple of apple pies as well
    • rev229
    • By rev229 26th Nov 07, 10:09 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    rev229
    Apple sauce
    Have the in-laws coming for lunch at the weekend. Will be doing roast pork so will need apple sauce. I usually use eating apples but can anybody tell me whether it should be eating apples or cooking apples.:confused: If eating apples what are the best for apple sauce. Last time I made apple sauce from the apples from MIL garden made loads but none left unfortunately.
  • Olliebeak
    I wouldn't worry about which apples are the best. I was brought up to think 'Bramley' and nothing else BUT......... recently I used up some eating apples that were past their best and the results were great - AND only needed a tiny bit of sugar instead of lots with Bramleys - may not need any sugar at all depending on your taste. Did all mine in a small pyrex bowl in the microwave, then packed into small tubs with lids on and froze for Christmas. Nice to add some sultanas into the apple while it's cooking as well.

I like to slightly undercook - but that's only because I like some texture and not just 'mush'.
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 27th Nov 07, 5:59 AM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 151,876 Thanks
    juliejim
    How do you actually make your apple sauce - my DD loves it but I always just buy a jar (not very OS I know). So I would love to be able to make my own.
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA 5500
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Nov 07, 6:03 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I always use cooking apples,but I'm lucky enough to have lots in my garden, and I freeze plenty for a year-round supply.

I made some at the weekend - peel and core the apple, chop into chunks, and cook on a very low heat until mushy enough for you liking. I never ad sugar as we like the tartness to cut through the richness of the meat.

HTH, Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • maypole
    • By maypole 27th Nov 07, 8:59 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    maypole
    I like cooking apples, we get them given from my friends garden. I think they cook down better than eating apples, unless I have used the wrong type of eating apple in the past.
  • champys
    How do you actually make your apple sauce - my DD loves it but I always just buy a jar (not very OS I know). So I would love to be able to make my own.

juliejim - apple sauce is the easiest thing to make in the world. peel and core your apples (any kind will do), cut them into cubes or slices and put them in a saucepan with a little bit of water and a few tablespoons of sugar (depending on quantity and type of apples, taste when the sauce is nearly done and add some more if needed). bring to the boil and simmer slowly until apple pieces are soft. or you can do it all in the microwave in a pyrex as in the post above. finally stir with a wooden spoon to break the pieces up to sauce consistency. if you like your apple sauce really smooth, you can blend the mixture with a hand held mixer, in a food processor or simply through a sieve.

that is all - it is good practice to make a substantial quantity at once, because it freezes beautifully. you can add raisins as said above, or a little cinnamon if you like the taste of that.

for a pudding, mix it with some whipped cream - delicious! or top it with some beaten egg whites and put under the grill. Or both.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

555Posts Today

5,893Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin