Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazyhazy
    • By crazyhazy 1st Sep 05, 12:11 PM
    • 313Posts
    • 361Thanks
    crazyhazy
    homemade kids Christmas gifts
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:11 PM
    homemade kids Christmas gifts 1st Sep 05 at 12:11 PM
    Thanks to this site I know have inspiration for making most of my xmas gifts this year, however I'm a little stuck on ideas for kids. I have kids of the following ages to get gifts for, 12m, 18m, 2, 3, 5 and 9. Anyone any ideas what i could do on a budget?
    Total Debt (27th Nov 08) 16,707.03 Now 5,102.72
    Debt Free Date Nov 2012 August 2011
Page 1
    • By 16011996 1st Sep 05, 12:35 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:35 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:35 PM
    you don't say what they are (boy/girl)but my 9 yr old daughter loved the sowing box in the home made xmas pressie thread (is on the board) last xmas, and can now sew her own buttons on and stuff.
    Last edited by 16011996; 01-09-2005 at 12:39 PM.
  • caffeinehit
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:39 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:39 PM
    Wooden jigsaws of the kids' names (with each letter a different piece) are nice for younger ones to play with. Paint each piece a different colour. They make good decorations when they get older.
    • By 16011996 1st Sep 05, 12:41 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:41 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:41 PM
    had another thought, do you have jars you could make snowscene shaker things in? my youngest loves those, and he's four.
  • omega
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:57 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 12:57 PM
    160+ - do you have instructions for these at all? Thanks
    • barbie babe
    • By barbie babe 1st Sep 05, 1:08 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    barbie babe
    • 1st Sep 05, 1:08 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 1:08 PM
    what about a small basket wicker one.put small set of knitting needles in and small odd balls of wall .a knitting basket .i have a girl that is eight i think she will love it.i used to have them at chritmas when i was younger.
    • crazyhazy
    • By crazyhazy 1st Sep 05, 1:18 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    crazyhazy
    • 1st Sep 05, 1:18 PM
    The 5 year old, one 2 year old and the 3 year old are all girls, the rest are boys. Thanks for the ideas so far!
    • barbie babe
    • By barbie babe 1st Sep 05, 1:18 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    barbie babe
    if you have girls to buy for you could also knit or sew dolls clothes .also if dolly has a pram or cot knit some blankets and make a small pillow cut down an old sheet and hem and make a sheet to.
    you have got me thinking know my girls have so much stuff i might start making some bits they might like.that are a bit diffrent.
    • By 16011996 1st Sep 05, 1:22 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 1st Sep 05, 1:22 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 1:22 PM
    snowshake jars are fairly simple, you need a tight fitting jar (i e the lid doesn't leak when full of water and upended) stick a little ornament on the lid with superglue, leave for 24 hours to make sure dry and fill with water and glitter, if you want and you have some lying around you can seal the lid with a bit of sealant (like you use round the bath) to make sure it doesn't leak.
    for the sowing kit, just put in some needles, threads, scissors, needle threader, few buttons, etc and few scraps of material to practice on in a nice little basket or case the basket i used was like a shell shape that has a lid, was 20p from a charity shop.

hope that helps.

edited to add, for a girl my daughter loved the odd beads i stuck in her sowing basket, she sewed them onto a bag.
    Last edited by 16011996; 01-09-2005 at 1:25 PM.
    • barbie babe
    • By barbie babe 1st Sep 05, 1:24 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    barbie babe
    i love the sewing kit to .
    • crazyhazy
    • By crazyhazy 1st Sep 05, 2:03 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    crazyhazy
    just had another idea, but wanted opinions first. Was thinking of getting cheap t-shirts or jumpers and using fabric pens to write either their names on or something else. Does anyone know if the fabric pens are expensive? Has anyone done something like this before?
    • By 16011996 1st Sep 05, 2:49 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    fabric pens can be quite expensive if from a craft shop, although i have picked them up in book outlet stores, the works i think it was, and they weren't too expensive there, think they were 4 or 5 for a pack with a few different colours in.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 1st Sep 05, 6:33 PM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 44,979 Thanks
    Pooky
    If you look on the freebie boards for the link for the free Avary lables....if you search around you can get some free t-shirt transfer printer stuff.....I've ended up with 2 loads of it, you could do t-shirts with that then.

I've made up some "grow your own" kits in the past....a flower pot, little bag of compost, some seeds.....you can paint the pot or put some paints in for them to do it themselves.....always go down well.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 1st Sep 05, 6:46 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 20,485 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    How about home-made edible gifts? If no food allergies, etc., & if parents no objections (if they're not your kids), try simple stuff that you can't go wrong with.
    Make a load of gingerbread & cut out however you like. You could decorate with plain water icing - dries hard - & you can buy cellophane in florists, quite cheap for a lot. Wrap biccies in cellophane & use ribbon to tie. Any simple baking would do - buns, other biscuits - & you could save old boxes from teabags or anything non-fragranced to use as outer packaging.
    Does this help? I can give recipes if you'd like?
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 1st Sep 05, 6:55 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 7,492 Thanks
    culpepper
    fabric paints would probably be cheaper than pens.
    I did my DS a wallace and Grommit T shirt when he was little.I drew it on with a black fabric pen (bought by itself from the art shop) then coloured it in with the paints which were bought as a childs fabric paint kit and cost about 1(put a plastic bag inside the shirt so it doesnt soak through to the back).
    I made a teddy puppet for my 3yr old cousin years ago and she loved it.It was just 2 teddy outlines cut out of fur fabric(an old furry coat lining) and the face embroidered on.
    Soft balls made of felt and stuffed with tights or kapok are good for littlies too.
    You could make dressing up clothes.I made a soldier uniform for DS.It was a pair of trousers made from remnants and with a red strip sewn on,a red shirt (charity shop) with the buttons painted gold and a crown embroidered on the collar(turned up and shortened).He had a belt painted white and a busby made from fur fabric and cardboard with gold braid for a chin strap.
    DD had a clown suit which was mainly a pair of old velvet curtains(they had faded)cut into a baggy suit shape,a ruff from window netting and pom poms down the front.With a conical hat with pom poms and a red nose(half a ping pong ball painted red and threaded with elastic).I think we've still got them somewhere so I expect any grandkids will get to play with them too in years to come.
    You can make art kits in the same way as the sewing kits,or activity kits with colouring in(printed out),balloonies(make the faces on the pc with sticker paper),stickers,print out mazes,word searches and crossword puzzles.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 1st Sep 05, 7:01 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Dylon makes something called 'image maker' and it is a glue like substance that can be used to transfer a printed image or photocopy onto fabric. One tube costs 3 to 4 quid and will do loads of transfers.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • By 16011996 7th Sep 05, 12:59 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Dylon makes something called 'image maker' and it is a glue like substance that can be used to transfer a printed image or photocopy onto fabric. One tube costs 3 to 4 quid and will do loads of transfers.
    by Sarahsaver
    i've been looking for this, anyone know where i can get some from please?

thanks

• Aril
    • By Aril 7th Sep 05, 1:10 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    When my son was 3 I made him an Elmer picture [he was and still is totally elephant mad] I traced off the shape and enlarged it on a photocopier. I then cut it out and mounted it onto cardboard and cut out all the felt squares. Finally I trimmed the edges and glued it onto a fabric covered board. I subsequently made him a Wilbur one in the same way. He loved them and it covered over where the little dear had picked off his wallpaper!!
    Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
  • bargainqueen
    Also, for the eldest, the "hippie" look is always in, so getting some cheap dye and a plain white t-shirt, you can section of bits of the shirt with string, tape etc. and make a batic t-shirt. I love those and the always go down well.
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • 1sttimer
    What about a hobby horse. All you need is an old sock stuffed with old tights or something soft. Sew buttons on for eyes and wool for a mane, cut a mouth out of felt and fasten it to the end of a broom handle - cut to the size for the child. Add some braiding and bells for reins. My 2 girls loved these (15 years ago) and still have them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,429Posts Today

7,473Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeedsWomensAid: We are pleased to see @MartinSLewis raising awareness about the important issue of financial abuse. Have a read of his?

• Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Follow Martin