Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    louise30
    Living on next to nothing challenge - Day 1 of 40
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:03 PM
    Living on next to nothing challenge - Day 1 of 40 20th Apr 08 at 6:03 PM
    Hi All

I leave my job on Wednesday! But don't start my new one until June 2nd

My current job has just paid me my last salary and I reckon I won't get paid until end of June - eek!

My bank account has £744 in it!

Can it be done? can you live on next to nothing!

I kinda thought this thread would help keep me focused on what I am and am not spending and give a safe haven from daytime telly and the urge to shopping.

Can anyone give me some top tips or suggestions - and it would be great if any of you will kick my butt if I go off the straight and narrow!

I reckon this is day 1 of 40!
    Cheers!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 22-04-2008 at 6:33 PM.
Page 1
    • Skippycat
    • By Skippycat 20th Apr 08, 6:07 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 273,018 Thanks
    Skippycat
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:07 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:07 PM
    Good luck with your challenge . I'm sure it'll be difficult at times but if you stay motivated you'll make it. Have you worked out a daily/weekly budget or anything like that for it?
    2018 wins include.... Panasonic microwave 50 ASDA gift card 250 Fenn Wright Manson gift card Match Mag 40 gift voucher Dehumidifier 250 TESCO gift cards

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to the forum
    • Skippycat
    • By Skippycat 20th Apr 08, 6:10 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 273,018 Thanks
    Skippycat
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:10 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:10 PM
    If you have got plenty of free time then it would be a good opportunity to have a sort out / tidy and ebay any stuff you no longer want.
    2018 wins include.... Panasonic microwave 50 ASDA gift card 250 Fenn Wright Manson gift card Match Mag 40 gift voucher Dehumidifier 250 TESCO gift cards

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to the forum
  • louise30
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:19 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:19 PM
    Nah

Haven't worked out a budget or anything - had one for last job, but basically need to spend nowt!

I think I will need to rely on my overdraft (for a start my mortgage is 500!).

My silver lining is that my new job is much better paid than this one!

I plan to have a good sort out. Problem is I am scared of ebay and never know how much to charge for anything, so am likely to just give everything to a charity shop!
  • GirlRacer
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:22 PM
    If you have any books or CD's try Amazon Marketplace. I've made over 200 in the last month. I was scared of E-bay but Amazon is dead easy. Good luck with your challenge and keep us posted on your progress.
  • temba
    What about mystery shopping? If you've got loads of free time you could give it a go.
    MF date: Dec 2028 2019. Overpayments in 2007=900, 2008=1200 2009=23400
    • SugarSpun
    • By SugarSpun 20th Apr 08, 6:25 PM
    • 8,504 Posts
    • 44,693 Thanks
    SugarSpun
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:25 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:25 PM
    What about temping?
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: 193.75; Saved from RRP 963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • MrandMrsEvans
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:26 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:26 PM
    The best tool you've got is your budget... we don't know how we managed to stay afloat without one!

You need to make sure you know exactly how much you need for your regular bills during that period, and anything that's left over should be put into your budget to account for items you need for living on a weekly or even daily basis. And the most important thing to remember is to stick to that budget... if you use up all your shopping budget (for example) on the second day of your week, you'll just have to make do with what you've got until the following week. It's easier to do this weekly rather than monthly as it's not too long to wait until you can top up your various budgets.

We find that the best way to split the money after bills is into three categories: Shopping, Petrol and Sundries (anything else). This covers most things while making sure you take care of the basics.

Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on!

Mr E
  • louise30
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 6:31 PM
    Might try the amazon thing - does it work for older cds too?
    Got Lots of 90s stuff

Am happy to do bits of work that won't take loads of time. But am having the break from work before new job as was ill last year and has really taken it's toll.
    Am shattered (but never rest!) so am using this time to get organised. Plus my mam goes into hospital for major heart op next week and want to be available to see to her if she needs me!

I cut my grass today - and discovered i had 2 lawn mowers in my shed - do you reckon I could sell one on Ebay? It's old, but its a flymo, so its ok.
  • kitschy
    Good luck to you!

It'll be lovely to have a nice break before cracking on with your new job, and although it'll be a push, you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I've made about 300 in the last couple of weeks selling old clothes on ebay, and quidco is worth doing too. I never seem to have time to do mystery shopping, but you should have a little of that

Look forward to seeing how you get on, fingers crossed! (And well done on the new job!)
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
  • Burlesque Babe
    hop over to the Freebies board and sign up for EVERYTHING! You should be able to snare some shampoo, conditioner, some money off coupons and other bits and bobs, sometimes sachets of washing powder and clothes conditioner.

Also sign up to Slice the Pie. There is a thread on Up Your Income. It doesn't generate much but it all helps!
    "Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
  • louise30
    might try signing up for the freebies - might make that Thursday's job - my first day off!

Am concerned that it will lead me to getting loads of junk mail though?
  • southernscouser
    Have you thought about comitting a minor crime. One that has a prison sentence of, oh I dunno, say 40 days? :confused:

• Ninnins
    Hey, mystery shopping, there's an idea! How do I get on that??!
  • louise30
    lol! Just realised it's not 40 days - it's 72 ARGH!

If I don't get paid until end of June, it's 72 days! oh god!
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 20th Apr 08, 6:56 PM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 35,495 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Good luck to you

Ebay isn't that scary once you give it a go. Read throught the sticky on the Ebay board and start small.

I'd second amazon marketplace for dvds/books/cds and also try Play Trade. (threads with guides for newbies on both are on the Ebay board)

Also for books try greenmetropolis, cna be slow to sell, but as you've got time on your hands you can list all your books and hopefully will get some sales.

Hop over to Old Style board for cheap meal plans etc.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • baccyman
    • By baccyman 20th Apr 08, 7:10 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    baccyman
    when my partner and i go shopping we try to buy the BOGOF items to stock the freezer and we also look out for the ready meals that have been reduced and put them in the freezer untill we need them,
    that helps to save a few quid when shopping.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Apr 08, 9:21 PM
    • 57,981 Posts
    • 238,530 Thanks
    beanielou
    Could you do some temping?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
  • talliedebtbuster
    Hey well done on the better job!!! Use the freebies sites yeah deffo!! An value products, boots baby bath really nice. Bottles of water instead of cola when you go out. Go to the local library and read the money saving books for free. I got loads and its really motivated me, although i spent 3.00 today on dinner at work.

Shopping lists! They really work, plan some nice meals, cheap.
    Im not doing too good at this but really hope you can do it!!
    Debt for Tallie - JUNE 2009
    NATWEST LOAN......5000.00
    CREDIT CARDS........5000.00
    STUDENT LOAN.......7500.00
    TESCO CARD..........1000.00
  • looby-loo
    I've just started selling on Gumtree - no fees at all and very simple
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,133Posts Today

8,989Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin