Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Allexie
    What to do with oodles of leeks?
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:21 PM
    What to do with oodles of leeks? 26th Aug 05 at 1:21 PM
    Just been given two carrier bags full of gorgeous-looking leeks! My expertise in the cookery dept only stretches to finely slicing and sauteeing them in a little olive oil and butter with a bit of garlic. Does anyone have any recipes/ideas for using them please?

Don't suppose it's St David's Day soon is it???

* and yes I have checked the Old Stylee Recipe Index......ducks to avoid squeaks flying rolling pin *
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Page 1
  • tr3mor
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:31 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:31 PM
    Use them anywhere you'd use onions!
    • Trow
    • By Trow 26th Aug 05, 1:35 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:35 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:35 PM
    Leek and potato soup or added to lentil and veg soup.

I had a slice of quiche yesterday made with leeks - YUM! Don't have a recipe, but it looked like they had been sauted before they were added to the pastry case and the egg was poured over the top.
  • MrsB
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:36 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:36 PM
    http://www.deliaonline.com/search/search_results.asp

Try Delia - if you put 'leek' in the search box it brings up some scrummy sounding stuff.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are Milton Berle
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 26th Aug 05, 1:38 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:38 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:38 PM
    I love stir fried leeks as an accompaniment. Just chop into rings and seperate. stirfry in some olive oil, add a bit of black pepper and eat - yum.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • Bargainloverbec
    • By Bargainloverbec 26th Aug 05, 1:52 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Bargainloverbec
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:52 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 1:52 PM
    Cheese sauce goes nicely with leeks.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Aug 05, 2:09 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Aug 05, 2:09 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 2:09 PM
    Lamb and leek casserole
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 26th Aug 05, 5:14 PM
    • 26th Aug 05, 5:14 PM
    Blanch them then freeze them until you are certain beyond a shadow of a doubt what you want to do with them ... should you require further information on this matter then please feel free to get in touch by PM.

• Lyndsay_21
    • 7th Oct 05, 4:40 PM
    Leeks
    • 7th Oct 05, 4:40 PM
    I bought some leeks and now not sure what to do with them i only have 3 o not a massive amount but any ideas and i'l be grateful
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Oct 05, 4:42 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 63,373 Thanks
    elona
    Steam them and add a cheese sauce - make a quiche- or soup.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • BungleGirl
    mmmm...I love leeks!

Very simple...but not particularly healthy...slice them up then:-

Put in a frying pan / saucepan with butter (quite a bit) and cook really gently on the lowest setting for 15 - 30 mins (depending how low) serve with anything.

or

Fry gently in a little butter and add some cream and black pepper

There are loads of things to do with them, I will have a think and come back...

I want leeks now!
  • carol_a
    I love Saint Delia's leek, onion and potato soup, just "sweat" chopped washed leeks with peeled chopped potato and a chopped onion for 10 minutes in a little butter or oil. Add stock and simmer until tender, add some milk/cream and liquidise if wanted although I sometimes leave it chunky, season to taste.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Oct 05, 4:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    If you go to the Recipe Collection thread (linked below) and then use the "search this thread" option in the top right corner of the start of the thread - type in the word leeks and you'll get a list of eleven recipes that have leeks in them

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=46777
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • BungleGirl
    carol_a beat me to a leek and potato soup recipe - delicious!
  • Queenie
    I adore leeks!!

Sometimes, I simply sweat off my chopped leeks in a little olive oil (basically treating them like onion!) add some diced courgettes and some chopped tomatoes, season and ... voila! Sometimes I add some garlic and herbs to that mix. Other times I pour the mixture into a pie dish, add some breadcrumbs and a little left over grated cheese and brown off under the grill.

I have no idea if what I've described is a "recipe" of any name ... it's just something my Mother did with onions and I subbed with leeks :confused:

They also go wonderfully in a casserole style dish in the slow cooker/regular oven.

Enjoy!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Lillibet
    I adore leeks!!

Sometimes, I simply sweat off my chopped leeks in a little olive oil (basically treating them like onion!)

Enjoy!!!
    by Queenie
    Leeks are part of the onion family so you can basically add them to anything that you would use onion in, instead of or as well as onion. They are also fab under a cheese sauce a la cauliflower cheese or in casseroles & stews. I find they go particually well with asparagus for some reason?!

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Gingham Ribbon
    Courgette and leek muffins

1 medium leek, sliced finely
    3 small courgettes, grated
    2 cloves garlic, crushed

300g SR flour
    2tsp curry powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    1tsp ground coriander
    100g butter, chopped
    60g grated cheddar
    2 large eggs, beaten
    250ml milk
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Fry leek, courgettes and garlic until soft and the liquid has evaporated. Cool and sqeeze any excess liquid.

Sift flour, curry powder and spices into a large bowl and rub in butter. Stir in courgette mixture and cheese, then eggs, milk and oil.

Spoon mixture into greased muffin tray and bake in 200 degree oven for 20 mins.

- the recipe says use buttermilk but I use semi skimmed. I also only add a splash of sunflower oil instead of the olive oil. It also says to grate some extra cheese for a topping with salt and pepper but I haven't bothered with that.

They taste a bit like a cross between onion bajees (sp sorry!) and muffins and I love them!

Also, I tend to make the courgette mixture when I'm cooking dinner, stick it in the fridge then do the rest the next day.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Lyndsay_21
    thanks for all the recipes.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hey

Am just doing a soup in the SC as I type..lol. OH bought a ton of leeks the other day and needed using. So have sweated off some leeks and carrots in butter-put in SC with 1.5 pints of chicken stock cube-then added some leftover sweetcorn, tom puree and a little ham that was in the fridge Smells delish! Have also added a little cornflour to thicken slightly. Hope Ive done it ok.

Will let you know later what it tastes like.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Oct 05, 11:51 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    That sounds yummy PP!

Just a tip for next time, if you have any pearl barley then adding a handful of that will help to thicken the soup as well as bulk it out a bit
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,235Posts Today

8,268Users online

Martin's Twitter