Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Jul 04, 4:09 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Tips for selling on Ebay
    • 4th Jul 04, 4:09 PM
    Tips for selling on Ebay 4th Jul 04 at 4:09 PM
    Share and discussion your tips for selling on Ebay
    Click reply
Page 1
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 4th Jul 04, 5:51 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 4th Jul 04, 5:51 PM
    Re: Tips for selling on Ebay
    • 4th Jul 04, 5:51 PM
    I don't know a lot about ebay but I've heard mention of free listing days - so they are good to watch out for - I believe it means you can list in certain categories without paying for the privilege
  • lauraw78
    • 4th Jul 04, 8:23 PM
    • 4th Jul 04, 8:23 PM
    *Download turbo lister.
    *Have a good rummage round your home for items you never use.
    *Be careful to list any faults with the item, try to turn the negatives to positives!
    *Take a look at similar items to what you want to sell and price your goods competitively.
    *Buy your brown wrapping paper from the cheapest shops, ie wilkinsons, I usually get my bubble wrap from the fruit and veg boxes in tescos and asda....saving a small fortune.
    *Look out for people bidding on the same item as you are selling and email those bidders to let them know you are selling the same item also.
    *Dont over price, people look on ebay for a bargain, I always find that with most items if you start the bidding at 99p more people will be interested and will start the bidding straight away.

go for it, everyone has items in their homes which you never use, dont want etc...sell them on ebay and start making money
  • scheming_gypsy
    • 4th Jul 04, 11:30 PM
    • 4th Jul 04, 11:30 PM
    get a few friends to bid up to your reserve price making it look like there's more interest than there is

i didn't say that....... honest
  • Chris_Powell
    • 5th Jul 04, 12:00 PM
    • 5th Jul 04, 12:00 PM
    From talking to my Ebay avid brother he said do not use free listing days - as lots of the same items go on and actually reduce the price for the seller - i think he only pays about 15p to list so he gets better prices not on those days
    • divadee
    • By divadee 5th Jul 04, 2:27 PM
    • 10,425 Posts
    • 17,862 Thanks
    divadee
    • 5th Jul 04, 2:27 PM
    • 5th Jul 04, 2:27 PM
    on the free listing days, so many products get put on that it is a buyers market!! most people put them on for 7 days so 7 days later there are bargains to be had!!

also a warning about the free listing days you have to pay up front and then you get it refunded, i warned my friend but she put all her crap great merchandise on and it ended up costing her about 90 she will get it refunded at the end of july but has had to pay for it before then, also it comes as a credit on your account so you have to use it for e-bay!!!
    • twins_2_Be
    • By twins_2_Be 6th Jul 04, 12:06 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    twins_2_Be
    • 6th Jul 04, 12:06 PM
    • 6th Jul 04, 12:06 PM
    A couple of comments....

1. I can see some of the logic for avoiding the free listing days as 7 days later the site is flooded with stuff and prices may be lower than the 15p you save. BUT, how about listing for 1,3,5,10 days instead....that might avoid the flood and still benefit from saving 15p.

2. Is the free lsiting days available for all terms 1,3,5,7,10 days or just for 7 day listing???
  • MisterT2
    • 6th Jul 04, 9:31 PM
    • 6th Jul 04, 9:31 PM
    Just a point that I have recently used a free listing day for 4 items. Two completed at quite a reasonable price (compared to other sales) and two were sold privately as a result of people seeing them on ebay and wanting to try them out first. So, I have no complaints - apart from my bill was 5 too much until they sorted out why.
  • archived user
    • 7th Jul 04, 8:00 AM
    • 7th Jul 04, 8:00 AM
    Free listings days are great but indeed you have to pay upfront which is a pain, but if items listed don't sell on free listings day then you can normally relist for free if the item sells the second time.

Things to make sure of when listing items is make sure the descirption is Detailed & Readable, the amount of auctions i've seen with one line of text or 400 words all in one paragraph making it a chore to read.

Also with the Auction Title Try and Think of what words you would want to look for when trying to find something.

Regards

Megazoid

• Zed
    Tomorrow, (thursday 8th) is a free listing day, here is what Ebay say about the charges ....
    ****** Free Listing Day Credits Clarification ******
    Date: 06/07/04 Time: 05:57:39 PM BST

Many members have asked us to clarify the refund/credit details on our forthcoming 1p-99p Free Listing Day promotion this Thursday, 8th July 2004. If the criteria are met no charges will be applied to your account at all. The "sell your item" form will show that no listing fee has been charged.
    For further information see this page:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sell/080704_Q3ftfld.html

So unlike the last time,w here you ahd to have charges refunded, there will be no charge made to your account tomorrow at all, as long as your sale meets their criteria. HTH.
    • kaznelson
    • By kaznelson 8th Jul 04, 1:41 AM
    • 457 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    kaznelson
    Sunday is a good day to end your auction on as this is the day when the site gets more hits.

I find that you have to take into account simple things, like if the weather is good or bad? People dont want to be sat a PC on a nice sunny weekend.

Bargins can be found in the early hours as there are fewer users on

• archived user
    The motto a picture can tell a thousand words applies here. For cheap stuff you get one picture free, so beg, borrow or umm borrow a digital camera and put that picture in. People are strangely reassured that the product is genuine is they can see it.

For more expensive items several pictures from different angles can be worth it.

Lastly, who on earth would buy a used car off Ebay? Thats like handing your wallet over to a car salesman and saying "help yourself"
  • archived user
    I find making the effort to design a really good page pays dividends. Here is one that I have going at the moment. I'm sure you will agree that this looks professionally done and I am confident it reflects on the level of interest throughout the auction too..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47779&item =5107645644&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
  • surfernotts
    I find making the effort to design a really good page pays dividends. Here is one that I have going at the moment. I'm sure you will agree that this looks professionally done and I am confident it reflects on the level of interest throughout the auction too..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47779&item =5107645644&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    Thats a well quality listing. Its one of the hardest things to do. I'm a power seller and i takes me about two weeks to perfect my listings (i still don't think i've got it quite right!). Although to be fair turbo lister is a great help. As is the selling manager.
  • archived user
    Thanks SurferNotts

That took me a couple of hours, but I think it's worth the effort. The best sellers seem to have the best looking listings.

Often wondered whether there was a sideline to be had in selling web design services to power sellers
  • archived user
    Does anyone know how to register to sell on Ebay without using a credit card as i don't have one?
    • p
    • By p 8th Jul 04, 11:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    p
    You need an email address with a proper domain name (ie not a free one like yahoo.co.uk or freeserve) if you want to register without bank details.

Maybe your works one or if you have a friend with a website they can give you an email address.
  • archived user
    I'd like to try selling on ebay, but I'm not sure how to work out charges for postage, any tips?
  • mandywax
    I have been buying and selling on ebay for some time so here are my tips, many of them learnt the hard way!

1. Ultimately, however beautiful your advert looks, if your item is wanted it will sell, and if it isn't - it just won't! Sometimes you just have to take a chance ... it can often seem a bit random. The worst adverts EVER are out of focus photos!

2. re postage - the Post Office website is quite useful and gives you a good idea of how much different weights will cost, also postage abroad. If in grave doubt see what others are charging for a similar item and get an idea from that.

3. If you are unsure how much you might get for an item, do an advanced search for a similar/same item and tick the box marked 'completed items'. You will then get results of finished auctions only and you will see what the final price was each time. This is very helpful.

If I think of anything else I'll come back!
    • Chezza71
    • By Chezza71 9th Jul 04, 12:51 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Chezza71
    The motto a picture can tell a thousand words applies here. !For cheap stuff you get one picture free, so beg, borrow or umm borrow a digital camera and put that picture in. !People are strangely reassured that the product is genuine is they can see it.

For more expensive items several pictures from different angles can be worth it.

Lastly, who on earth would buy a used car off Ebay? !Thats like handing your wallet over to a car salesman and saying "help yourself" !
    I totally agree about the picture thing - I don't bother looking at anything that hasn't got a picture! :
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,942Users online

Martin's Twitter