Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissShoes
    • By MissShoes 9th Apr 08, 4:20 PM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 1,856Thanks
    MissShoes
    Dating dilemma- solutions/ideas please DFWs!!
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:20 PM
    Dating dilemma- solutions/ideas please DFWs!! 9th Apr 08 at 4:20 PM
    Hi all,

Newly single (happy to be single from him but not sure I'm happy to be single if you know what I mean) and now faced with a dilemma- please DFWs reading this- offer some advice or creative solutions!

I live in London. I am at a really good stage in my DF journey, feeling happier and more in control. However, in order to get a guy I need to go out! In order to go out I need money...and therein lies the problem!

I'm only 23...I don't want to be single forever!

Creative solutions? I'm not sure there's a website for 'I want a sexy new bloke but he needs to be cool with my DF journey or on a DF journey himself so we can spend loads of DF time together!'

AAAHHH! Can't check this for replies/reply for a bit so please keep posting to keep me bumped! Ta MS xxx:rolleyes:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 15-04-2008 at 5:39 PM.
Page 1
    • RAS
    • By RAS 9th Apr 08, 4:32 PM
    • 27,996 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    RAS
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:32 PM
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:32 PM
    Hi

Despite the recent spouting from ministers, have you considered working in a bar or pub? Good chance of getting chatted up there and you get a bit more money towards your debts?

The other option might be to volunteer close to home or work for something that will get you meeting loads of people - conservation work, campaigning
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    • claireabelle
    • By claireabelle 9th Apr 08, 4:36 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    claireabelle
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:36 PM
    This was running for a while last year!!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=504050&highlight=dating+debtfree
    • Stinkybell
    • By Stinkybell 9th Apr 08, 4:37 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Stinkybell
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:37 PM
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:37 PM
    You can still go on girly nights out - red bull is a particulaly good one as enough of it will get you giggly anyway! Especially if you become taxi service and give your mates lifts home at a fraction of the cost. Even the poorest boys will be in the pub when the footy's not on terrestrial (Man U vs Roma tonight?)
    Student Loan
    2006:9130.86 2007:12,286.36 2008:14,792.15 2009:14,234.48 2010:13,249.45 2011:11,835.74 2012:??????? 2013:7976.45 2014:5745.30

Student Loan Free Date: November 2016!
  • Bunnyinthelights
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:42 PM
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:42 PM
    Why not use Quidco and Pigsback to join loads of dating sites and earn while you're meeting people???

I know quite a few people who have met via the t'internet...

And are VERY happy!
  • Oldernotwiser
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:52 PM
    • 9th Apr 08, 4:52 PM
    Put an ad in Time Out.
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 9th Apr 08, 5:07 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    • 9th Apr 08, 5:07 PM
    • 9th Apr 08, 5:07 PM
    I met my wonderful OH on www.freedating.com and we've been together 18m on Friday (6m of those living together). Its free to join, free to chat/message, and then when you meet he can pay to take you out all the time and pay for everything like my darling OH does!
  • MissMuppet
    • 16th Apr 08, 11:24 AM
    • 16th Apr 08, 11:24 AM
    I use www.plentyoffish.com - no luck for me yet, but have had some decent chats and a couple of dates out of it.

And it's FREE!
    • MissShoes
    • By MissShoes 16th Apr 08, 3:08 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    MissShoes
    • 16th Apr 08, 3:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 08, 3:08 PM
    Thanks everyone! Joined plentyoffish at midday and had 25 messages so far! Maybe internet dating is the way forward?! Time will tell...

MSxx
  • floss2
    I would recommend internet dating for its sheer DFW-ness - I joined Faceparty almost 6 yrs ago... after several dates I came across a very nice-sounding chap in Feb 2003, we exchanged emails, then met up on 6 April 2003, got engaged when I moved into his house in September 2006 and have just had our 5th anniversary together
    • lynsayjane
    • By lynsayjane 16th Apr 08, 3:23 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    lynsayjane
    I would recommend internet dating for its sheer DFW-ness - I joined Faceparty almost 6 yrs ago... after several dates I came across a very nice-sounding chap in Feb 2003, we exchanged emails, then met up on 6 April 2003, got engaged when I moved into his house in September 2006 and have just had our 5th anniversary together
    Originally posted by floss2
    I met my last bf on faceparty too, we were together a year.

A word of caution though (and I'm very shocked this has been mentioned on the email without any words of advice on this), do be especialy careful when meeting people form online, if possible try to do it in a group or at the very least make sure someone knows where you are and who you are with and keep in contact with them throughout the date. There are a lot of strange people out there.

Best of luck x
    Last edited by lynsayjane; 16-04-2008 at 3:25 PM.
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 16th Apr 08, 3:30 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Isn't there a DFW meet coming up in London soon? You could find a likeminded person there!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • MissMuppet
    I have met a few boyfriends online, was engaged to one... Not having so much luck this time, just can't seem to find anyone compatible! Another good site is Love@Lycos, you can get to it through www.lycos.co.uk

Good luck! I have a date next week with someone from POF, looking good at the moment...
    • MissShoes
    • By MissShoes 16th Apr 08, 4:20 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    MissShoes
    A DFW Meet?! I've never been to one! That sounds good- when/where/what happens?

Good luck on your date MissMuppet!
  • Alisonbel
    Oh my god, I'm not single but read this thread and thought I'd do some "market research" on Plentyoffish and there certainly is, packing OH bags as I type,LOL !
    Happy searching xx
    Why didn't someone kick me up the backside earlier

Nerd 325 "Proud to be dealing with my debts"
    • MissShoes
    • By MissShoes 16th Apr 08, 5:37 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    MissShoes
    Alisonbel u naughty girl! You're right though- there are so many lovely blokes there!
  • Alisonbel
    I've become obsessed! I'm moving back to my Mums better blokes there!!!!
    Why didn't someone kick me up the backside earlier

Nerd 325 "Proud to be dealing with my debts"
  • fidesmond
    things to do
    HI there I met my bloke on a dating web site called cupid nights for london people only.at least you would not have to spend loads on travelling to meet someone.
    Get time out, there are loads of free things to do/cheap things to do. I did a walk around a part of london with a guide for less than 5 for hours- you never know whos going to turn up.Always go to free museums, you might bump into the man of your dreams looking at a piece of art work.
    Good luck in the man hunt- rememeber it will happen when you least expect it, and you have to kiss many frogs before your prince will come.
  • Sarahsaver
    You are only 23. Plenty of time yet!
    I worked in a bar for some time and the trouble is you meet a lot of people who just chat you up for a laugh, want a free meal/drink/nightclub entry or a quick one-two in the cloakroom.
    What about doing things that are free because they would attract other DFW's (who would understand your situation), such as gallery tours (tate modern do them for free), conservation volunteer work...
    You could walk dogs as a source of income then ,apparently, dogs make some people want to chat you up. Cannot quite understand that one myself but it takes all sorts.
    Having posted your dilemma on this site I suspect you will get offers anyway!
    Just be cautious if you meet someone online, really suss them out. I speak from unfortunate experience.
    Good luck!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • claireabelle
    • By claireabelle 17th Apr 08, 10:40 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    claireabelle
    Also... I was out with a walk with my fella the other day, and saw a britmilfit (British Military Fitness), and I commented that if I was single, I'd join up! not the best thing to say... but I did get a free trial a while ago so worth checking their website!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter