Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dotchas
    • By dotchas 8th Apr 08, 5:16 PM
    • 2,435Posts
    • 3,454Thanks
    dotchas
    Paypal say they will hold funds
    • 8th Apr 08, 5:16 PM
    Paypal say they will hold funds 8th Apr 08 at 5:16 PM
    Got this message on Turbolister when listing a cosmetic item today

Warning 1 of 1
    PayPal may hold some of your payments in your account. PayPal will release the hold when you receive positive feedback or after 21 days without a buyer dispute, claim, chargeback or other action.
    PayPal may hold some of your payments in your account. PayPal will release the hold when you receive positive feedback or after 21 days without a buyer dispute, claim, chargeback or other action.

I have never had this message before,I assume its a new thing:confused:

I have 100% 1000+ feedback:rolleyes: (well at least until May!)
    I love bargains
    I love MSE
Page 1
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 8th Apr 08, 6:13 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:13 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:13 PM
    Got this message on Turbolister when listing a cosmetic item today

Warning 1 of 1

I have never had this message before,I assume its a new thing:confused:

I have 100% 1000+ feedback:rolleyes: (well at least until May!)
    Originally posted by dotchas
    Nice.

Can this be legal though?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • dotchas
    • By dotchas 8th Apr 08, 6:48 PM
    • 2,435 Posts
    • 3,454 Thanks
    dotchas
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:48 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 6:48 PM
    Nice.

Can this be legal though?
    Originally posted by Brooker Dave

Not sure!

Will they pay me interest???

Its a bit worrying though,if someone does a dispute ,I have to fight for my money and can't even neg a buyer.

But dodgy high value electrical sellers and dodgy voucher sellers probably have no problems
    I love bargains
    I love MSE
  • doodledo
    • 8th Apr 08, 7:10 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 7:10 PM
    I read about this on the forum on ebay.

There is a new ruling whereby they will hold funds on some buyers until positive feedback has been received.

I think it's mainly where people are selling items which could be fake so its to protect the buyer. Is the make up you are selling a designer brand?

This could be wrong as just going from memory, maybe worth checking the Ebay forums though.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST
    Racing Hypno to Save - 10/5000
  • ceanothus
    • 8th Apr 08, 7:49 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 7:49 PM
    It was on the General Announcements board (along with a load of other important and not very well publicised changes!) at the end of March. They have decided to hold payments for a 'small minority' of sellers. Some of the criteria are category and item related, some are to do with DSR's, trading history etc.

I can see what they are trying to achieve, but I still think it's an outrageous and high handed approach. I also worry that with Ebay's track record of implementing software change it will all go horribly wrong and the innocent will get stamped all over!

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200803.shtml#2008-03-21143719

I wonder when they will next trot out the 'we are only a venue' statement. The 'venue' seems to be changing to judge & jury at the moment.
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 8th Apr 08, 8:08 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    steviebabes
    • 8th Apr 08, 8:08 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 8:08 PM
    Are your DSR's all above 4.5?

PayPal will not hold payments for eBay items if you meet the following criteria:
    • You have been an eBay member for more than 6-months, and
    • Your total Feedback score is greater than 100, and
    • Fewer than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*
    Or
    • Your average DSR is greater than 4.5, and
    • Your have received more than 20 DSRs in the last 12 months
    • pdel61
    • By pdel61 8th Apr 08, 10:00 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    pdel61
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:00 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:00 PM
    The worst part about it is that they wont release the money until you either get:

Positive feedback
    Proof of delivery
    21 days has elapsed without a chargeback or dispute

So you need to send the goods without being able to get hold of your money.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 8th Apr 08, 10:04 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:04 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:04 PM
    The worst part about it is that they wont release the money until you either get:

Positive feedback
    Proof of delivery
    21 days has elapsed without a chargeback or dispute

So you need to send the goods without being able to get hold of your money.
    Originally posted by pdel61
    How can any of this possibly be legal in the UK???

Why do the OFT let them get away with this?

• pdel61
    • By pdel61 8th Apr 08, 10:08 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    pdel61
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:08 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:08 PM
    How can any of this possibly be legal in the UK???

Why do the OFT let them get away with this?
    It probably isn't, but a lot of what Paypal and Ebay do probably isn't legal in the UK, that's why they are not based here.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 8th Apr 08, 10:13 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    It probably isn't, but a lot of what Paypal and Ebay do probably isn't legal in the UK, that's why they are not based here.
    Originally posted by pdel61
    They should be closed down then, see their problems in France.

Why should ebay/paypal be allowed to ignore UK law??

• RFW
    • By RFW 8th Apr 08, 11:24 PM
    • 8,973 Posts
    • 5,185 Thanks
    RFW
    They should be closed down then, see their problems in France.

Why should ebay/paypal be allowed to ignore UK law??
    It would certainly be annoying to be affected by it, but I can't see what law they are breaking or indeed which other laws they contravene. As I understand it Paypal are based outside the UK for financial reasons/requirements and not so they don't have to comply with UK law (they do!).
  • xabia
    I can see these new rules putting many new sellers off.If you have under 100 feedback looks like your gonna have to wait up to 21 days for your money
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 9th Apr 08, 7:30 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    I can see these new rules putting many new sellers off.If you have under 100 feedback looks like your gonna have to wait up to 21 days for your money
    Originally posted by xabia
    Is not the only option to wait 21 days before releasing the goods?

Fraud works both ways...

• Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 9th Apr 08, 7:34 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    It would certainly be annoying to be affected by it, but I can't see what law they are breaking or indeed which other laws they contravene. As I understand it Paypal are based outside the UK for financial reasons/requirements and not so they don't have to comply with UK law (they do!).
    Originally posted by RFW
    Surely the waiting 3 weeks for payment to clear is an unfair contract condition?

If banks can clear a cheque in 6 working days, as they have been made to do....

And ebay *forcing* its customers to accept paypal surely must break EU consumer law and inself is anti competative?

Imagine if you brought a Ford car and Ford made you only buy Shell petrol...

• go4it
    • By go4it 9th Apr 08, 7:40 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    go4it
    I'm in the middle of a dispute with Paypal (laptop sent, parts remved, returned to me damaged etc etc).

Trying to complain about them is VERY hard. They are NOT REGULATED in the UK (Luxembourg). Plus the Financial Ombudsman has a very long waiting list, and you must spend 8 weeks trying to resolve the case with Paypal before filling forms with the Financial Ombudsman.

How is a company like this getting away with it? Everyone just needs to vote with their feet (or hands!) and quit Paypal and even Ebay all together.
    • go4it
    • By go4it 9th Apr 08, 7:43 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    go4it

And ebay *forcing* its customers to accept paypal surely must break EU consumer law and inself is anti competative?
    I don't use Paypal now, but still thought I would give Ebay a go. Throughout my listing was nothing but Paypal ads, messages saying that the buyer was 'unprotected'.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 9th Apr 08, 7:44 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    I'm in the middle of a dispute with Paypal (laptop sent, parts remved, returned to me damaged etc etc).

Trying to complain about them is VERY hard. They are NOT REGULATED in the UK (Luxembourg). Plus the Financial Ombudsman has a very long waiting list, and you must spend 8 weeks trying to resolve the case with Paypal before filling forms with the Financial Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by go4it
    "Therein lies PayPal's competitive advantage, said Quarles of Thomas Weisel Partners.

"They've figured out how not to be regulated, and they've done that globally," Quarles said. "[PayPal] has gone to great pains to be not considered a bank.""

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/26/smbusiness/paypal_float.fsb/

Apparantly paypal go out of their way to aviod being regluated.

Given this why should ebay's customers be forced to use a unregulated company for their financial transactions?

• Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 9th Apr 08, 7:49 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    How is a company like this getting away with it? Everyone just needs to vote with their feet (or hands!) and quit Paypal and even Ebay all together.
    Originally posted by go4it
    Ebay do seem intent on upseting almost all their customers one way or another.

I do wish Google or Tescos would open an auction website...

• martindow
    • By martindow 9th Apr 08, 8:33 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 4,822 Thanks
    martindow
    Paypal are not unique in this. It is not uncommon for other card processors to do the same thing and settle payments a month in arrears especially for web based businesses. I imagine it is all covered in the terms and conditions you sign up to so not illegal. It is a cheek though to take the interest from the cash you are waiting for.
    • pdel61
    • By pdel61 9th Apr 08, 8:35 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    pdel61
    Is not the only option to wait 21 days before releasing the goods?

Fraud works both ways...
    The problem is by not sending the goods for 21 days the buyer is likely to raise a not received dispute with Paypal who will then refund them and you'll end up with a black mark.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,056Posts Today

7,884Users online

Martin's Twitter