Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 46
    • mullygrubber
    • By mullygrubber 4th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mullygrubber
    Sorry for the delay I was hoping someone would reply who knows the Virgin products better. Still looking at their FAQ:

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/isa/flexible-isa/

"How do I know if I've subscribed to my ISA?

In each tax year (6 April - 5 April) you can split your ISA allowance across four types of ISA (cash, stocks and shares, Innovative Finance and Lifetime ISA) but you can only subscribe to one ISA of each type.

If the money you have paid in, less the money you have withdrawn has been above 0 at any point in the tax year you will have subscribed to that ISA in the tax year. This means you can't subscribe to another ISA of that type in the tax year.
    "

Essentially next tax year you would have a Virgin Flexible ISA containing contributions from the previous tax year(s) from which you can make withdrawals and then replace the money. As long as you always do the withdrawals before the replacement you will not have been considered to subscribed to the ISA within the tax year. As such you can subscribe to another Cash ISA for that year.

Alex.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Hi Alex,

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for your help with this! That makes sense.

I did look on the Virgin website but I seemed to have missed what you just referenced. My bad!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Apr 18, 2:32 AM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    First of all apologies if this has already been covered...

I currently have a Help to Buy ISA and I have a house purchase going through in the next month or 2.
    If I pay into my H2B ISA in the 2018/19 Tax Year then close it, can I open a new ISA and start making payments into that in the same tax year, or would the fact that I've already paid into an ISA stop me from doing that even though it has since been closed?
    Originally posted by Kurenka
    See MSE <Top Cash ISAs> Section 5.

The rules say only one per tax year but it seems there is a way around them.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • chrisward49
    • By chrisward49 15th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chrisward49
    I have opened a Nationwide isa at 1.3% for this year but have not yet paid in any money, I have now seen the Tesco Isa for 1.6% with a 0.50% bonus which would give me a better return. Can I cancel the Nationwide??
    Last edited by chrisward49; 15-04-2018 at 2:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 15th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I have opened a Nationwide isa at 1.3% for this year but have not yet paid in any money, I have now seen the Tesco Isa for 1.6% with a 0.50% bonus which would give me a better return. Can I cancel the Nationwide??
    Originally posted by chrisward49
    Yes.

As far as HMRC is concerned, an ISA is not "open" until you have paid money or transferred funds into it.

So far, you have only opened the account which you can just ignore providing you do not contribute to it this year. Leave it open or close it as you wish.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 15-04-2018 at 4:09 PM.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 15th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    I have now seen the Tesco Isa for 1.6% with a 0.50% bonus which would give me a better return.
    Where have you seen this? There is no ISA for 1.6% on Tesco's site as far as I can see.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 15th Apr 18, 6:03 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Are you sure you are not misreading 1.16% on Tesco's flexible ISA as 1.6% ?
    • chrisward49
    • By chrisward49 16th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chrisward49
    Sorry yes my mistake is it 1.16% I missed the 1 out !!!
    • bobby1000
    • By bobby1000 11th Jun 18, 9:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    bobby1000
    Hi, hoping that someone can help me. I have been looking online for a few days now and a bit stumped.

I am currently in a SAYE share scheme with my employer. I have opted for the three year scheme and it ends in July. I'm in a fortunate position that the share price has almost doubled.

In order to be as tax efficient as possible I want to transfer to an ISA - the Gov UK site states that in order not to pay any capital gains tax I need to transfer my shares within 90 days - however after contacting several investment providers non of them have told me that this service is available.

Can anyone help me on this? I am really new to this world so a bit stumped as to what to do...can anyone recommend any traders that they know offer this or how I actually do this!
    • david4321
    • By david4321 27th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    david4321
    Poor ISA rates
    ISA rates are currently so poor, that you can get a higher net rate from a non-ISA account, even if you have so much interest that you pay tax on it. For example today, the best one-year fixed account is 1.49% for an ISA, but for non-ISA it's 2.00% gross, which is 1.60% net after tax for basic rate taxpayers. I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 27th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,266 Thanks
    mije1983
    ISA rates are currently so poor, that you can get a higher net rate from a non-ISA account, even if you have so much interest that you pay tax on it. For example today, the best one-year fixed account is 1.49% for an ISA, but for non-ISA it's 2.00% gross, which is 1.60% net after tax for basic rate taxpayers. I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.
    Originally posted by david4321

But not everyone is a basic rate taxpayer.

• Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 27th Jul 18, 11:17 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.
    Perhaps because ISAs cost more to manage than non-ISAs.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 28th Jul 18, 12:14 AM
    • 7,988 Posts
    • 8,892 Thanks
    eskbanker
    . . . I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.
    Perhaps because ISAs cost more to manage than non-ISAs.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    ....and it's not a strictly like-for-like comparison anyway: because of ISA regulations, it must be possible to withdraw money from a one-year fixed ISA during the term (albeit a penalty charge will be applied) but a one-year fixed non-ISA account will typically not allow withdrawals at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,514Posts Today

8,088Users online

Martin's Twitter