Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KittyKate
    • By KittyKate 5th Apr 08, 10:15 AM
    • 1,513Posts
    • 1,920Thanks
    KittyKate
    How far can YOU make 1 stretch?
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:15 AM
    How far can YOU make 1 stretch? 5th Apr 08 at 10:15 AM
    I've bought at least 4 bottles of cola this week at 98p a time. It's only when I look back and realise how much £1 could buy me that I feel stupid (I don't even drink the whole bottle!)

So the question is what essentials can YOU buy for £1, how long can you make that shiny gold coin stretch?!

Some ideas:
    3 x 20p value tinned soups, 1 x 21p value loaf, 1 x 9p noodles = lots of meals!
    6 x loo rolls (a fortnight's worth in my house lol)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 08-04-2008 at 6:47 PM.
Page 1
  • Snaggles
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:17 AM
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:17 AM
    10 packets of pickled onion Space Raiders!

(I lived on them when I was a student - occasionally I would have a 10p Chomp for dessert )
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."

• andan
    • By andan 5th Apr 08, 10:20 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 9,902 Thanks
    andan
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:20 AM
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:20 AM
    OOh yes i loved space invaders and chomp bars. When me and my sisters were little we would often leave the house first thing on a morning and not come back till night time, i remember one time we ony had 50p between us to get some lunch (for three of us) we bought a big bottle of pop for 19p and three packs of space invaders. Sometimes i'd love to go back to those days!
    Live on 4500, 2531/4500 101 in 1001 (52/101)

• KittyKate
    • By KittyKate 5th Apr 08, 10:23 AM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    KittyKate
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:23 AM
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:23 AM
    When I was a student, I'd have gone for 11 packets of 9p noodles - would feed me for 3 days!!
    • KittyKate
    • By KittyKate 5th Apr 08, 10:35 AM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    KittyKate
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:35 AM
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:35 AM
    Also; you could spend the quid on essentials (socks and pants, hygiene products etc) that would last you a lot longer than the 20 mins my bottle of coke lasts.

I really need to keep a spending diary.
  • Snaggles
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:59 AM
    • 5th Apr 08, 10:59 AM
    Ooooh, 100 cola bottles....I used to LOVE those!!!

Yum!! I could just eat those now!
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."

• FunBrum
    • By FunBrum 5th Apr 08, 11:02 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 6,730 Thanks
    FunBrum
    • 5th Apr 08, 11:02 AM
    • 5th Apr 08, 11:02 AM
    Ooooh, 100 cola bottles....I used to LOVE those!!!

Yum!! I could just eat those now!
    Originally posted by Snaggles
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet
    Womble #17- 2,018.41 2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC 3000/2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • Reformed Shopaholic
    • 5th Apr 08, 8:40 PM
    • 5th Apr 08, 8:40 PM
    Pet lovers, our local pound shop has 10 tubs (the little pouchy things in foil tray) for 1 pound - 12p each individually - so i'm hoping my furry friends will not realise i'm cutting back...

Other than that i'm with the pickled onion space raiders..they're the best!
  • Sammz
    • 5th Apr 08, 8:43 PM
    • 5th Apr 08, 8:43 PM

(I lived on them when I was a student - occasionally I would have a 10p Chomp for dessert )
    Sorry to say but Space Raiders have gone up to 15p.
    OD Girls On Tour
    Barcelona 2008 - Dublin 2009
  • Reformed Shopaholic
    Sorry to say but Space Raiders have gone up to 15p.
    Originally posted by Sammz
    and the packets are smaller
  • rog2
    Can you still buy 'Broken Buscuits'? :confused:

Used to buy a big box (1kg) for 50p. What the heck, if they were 'broken' they still tasted the same.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Poundland do big bags of either 10 or 12 pks of space raiders
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
    • leoetal19
    • By leoetal19 5th Apr 08, 9:30 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    leoetal19
    the furthest i ever stretched a 1 was to a shiny new radley bag!!
    i bought a skirt from the chairty shop reduced to 1-sold it on e bay for 12-bout 4 new items from charity shops with the money-made 35 profit, re-invested in items-bingo new radly bag from paypal money that began with 1 shop at my charity shop!!!! lol what a 1 x
    even god cant change the past-no matter how many times i cry
    for levi, leo, smudge and arfa my angels
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Apr 08, 9:38 PM
    • 57,981 Posts
    • 238,535 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow, thats great leoetal.
    Personally, i never get 1 to go far enough.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
  • Bambywamby
    I would spend my last 1 on: value pasta, value tin of toms, tin of value tuna and a sprig of spring onions with whats left. I would make a huge pan of tuna pasta with toms & onions and nibble on it as and when needed.

(You can plant the spring onions in a plant pot on your kitchen window sill and cut off what you need and the onions keep growing, so it can be used over & over.)
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • ehallett
    I would buy 3 tins of Asda Smartprice baked beans and sausages for 28p each (84p) and a bottle of Asda Smartprice orange squash (16p). 3 days worth of meals right there for 1.
  • Buzzbox
    Geeeee! Well at least we all now know that even when you're down to your last pound, you'll be able to feed yourself for at least another three days! hehe

I really can't make the pound go further than some of you folks can at the moment but it has definately motivated me to keep on trying to nail it.
    • moz86
    • By moz86 5th Apr 08, 10:37 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    moz86
    I'm afraid to declare, that not only have space raiders gone up to 15p, so have chomps.

A sad sad day for snack size chocoloate lovers everywhere.

Actually let me rephrase that, it makes it sound like a sad day for snack size people who love chocolate.

Disappointment for lovers of snack size chocolate everywhere.

Moz
    Working to make our future as secure and comfortable as possible.
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    I had a quid left on thursday evening. Was passing the amusement arcade on the way to the bank when i popped in for the sake of it and won 3 repeats on a 35 jackpot. 105 - 1.50 for the 3 repeats.
  • notanothergreyhair

Unfortunately they are both 15p in our local store...the space raiders even had the 15p as part of the packaging

EDITED to say that I missed Sammz and moz86 posts
    Last edited by notanothergreyhair; 05-04-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    I'm the only gay in this forum
    *Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,355Posts Today

6,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin