Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 1st Apr 08, 10:17 PM
    • 12,663 Posts
    • 17,205 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 1st Apr 08, 10:17 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 10:17 PM
    I usually refer people to MSE, but only once I get to know them.

To be honest, I don't know how I'd respond if I was in a personal conversation and someone butted in and tried to tell me how to save money.

If I heard the man talking, I probably wouldn't get involved, to be honest - he might react favourably, but equally, he might get really hacked off that I'd been listening in and feel that I'm an interfering old bar steward (the "old" bit would be accurate).
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • teeb
    • By teeb 1st Apr 08, 11:10 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    teeb
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:10 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:10 PM
    Odd response from me - If it was a commuter train, or a short journey, then no, I wouldn't.

If he looked unfriendly at all, then no, I wouldn't. He's the kind who's having a loud conversation about private matters in the middle of a train coach, so I'm immediately a bit wary.

However, if (later on), once he's off the phone, and if an opportunity presented itself - some kind of catalyst for conversation happened - such as meeting him at the train buffet, in the toilet queue, if a baby started screaming, anything - then I'd initiate conversation. If that went well and I didn't get "effoff" signals, then yes, I'd suggest he get a better deal by looking on MSE.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 1st Apr 08, 11:22 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:22 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:22 PM
    I think it would be very hard to do that without sounding like I'm some kind of salesman. I'd expect a "not interested!" reply.

Personally, I don't tell many people about my money saving as I seem to be wasting my time. I've even told friends about I'll be paying a couple of quid per month for gym membership by doing it through Pruhealth then the same week they've signed up for the £45/month contract direct with the gym.

• Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 2nd Apr 08, 12:08 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    • 2nd Apr 08, 12:08 AM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 12:08 AM
    I would!! I have done it before! I do it by starting talking about weather and then randomly I would say it by apologising for hearing the financial bit and suggest the current best card and I will mention MSE.com and repeat it several times and mention Martin Lewis and his program and appearances on tv. I would ask him to visit the website and work his finances through the icons on the top of the homepage and they very likely to save 20-25% of their normal spending and I will tell him if I get one pence back from each pound I spend, then this will make payrise 1% more than what it should be!! I will say it is not about cutting back, it is about getting the same product, but cheaper. I will mention the forum as well. I will market the website by saying it is, not like other websites, unbiased whatsoever. I would suggest, if they seem they don't have time to check the whole thing out, to subscribe to the weekly email ( another way to get them hooked!!)

I know I am sad ( and a devotee of the new moneysaving religion! )

Thunderbird
    Last edited by Thunderbird; 02-04-2008 at 9:08 AM.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 2nd Apr 08, 12:24 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 2nd Apr 08, 12:24 AM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 12:24 AM
    Yes, I would. I hate seeing people getting ripped off for things. I tell my parents numerous ways of cutting their bills and it falls on deaf ears. They listen to what I have to say but just say, such and such bill isn't that much and we're not that heavy on this or that. Their money. :confused:

I often tell people about MSE. More often than not the information I provide them is much appreciated. I have had the odd person who looks at me like I've got two heads whilst they proceed to purchase some product or other which is going to be exorbitant in cost compared to some other store I've seen it in for a fraction of the price. I noticed when I first joined MSE when I mentioned the site to people, a lot of them hadn't heard of Martin Lewis and Money Saving Expert etc, but now, a lot more people have said they've watched his programme or said, oh that's the guy who talks really fast on GMTV about finance and stuff. Had a few people who sing your praises Martin when I mention the site, oh, he's great isn't he, saved a fortune etc. Sometimes it's hard when the person I mention the site to doesn't have internet access but I tell them to go to the library and they should get access there. I tell them about the books as well. I think I mentioned the site to a dozen people yesterday, and do so most days. If they think I'm nuts, well so be it. Just trying to help them out, if they have money to burn well that's up to them. :confused: There was a lady going round Tesco yesterday with an armful of clothes and she looked quite well to do but I mentioned that I had a money off voucher that I wouldn't be using and said she could have it, she was over the moon and I mentioned the site as well and she took a note of it etc, said she'd check it out. She did look a bit taken aback I'd offered her the money off voucher, it was due to expire that day and I wasn't going to be using it, but she looked like she would have been able to use it with the bundle of clothes she had in her arms.
    Last edited by Smiley_Mum; 02-04-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • CAE
    • By CAE 2nd Apr 08, 12:52 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    CAE
    • 2nd Apr 08, 12:52 AM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 12:52 AM
    Have recommended MSE to friends, family and colleagues, but don't think Iwould mention it in the circumstances as described.

In fact, anyone using a mobile phone in those circumstances deserves evryrhing they get, as they must be a bit of a 'unmentionable rude word in open forum' in the first place, and make me very annoyed.
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 2nd Apr 08, 4:08 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    • 2nd Apr 08, 4:08 AM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 4:08 AM
    "Sorry, couldn't help hearing sounds like you have a problem there?"

I start with that.

Life's too short to follow stupid social rules. They'll never see you again. Flash 'em your willy nothing will happen.
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 2nd Apr 08, 7:30 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 2nd Apr 08, 7:30 AM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 7:30 AM
    No, I wouldn't. I'm quite reserved and it would take quite a lot for me to but into someone else's private conversation.

In fact I probably would have put my MP3 player on to drown out his inane conversation before the end, I hate people who discuss their lives on public transport.
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 2nd Apr 08, 7:40 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    I did it too! I heard two women behind me on a bus talking about the fact that one had split from her husband, and was worried about money. I turned round and told her to use Martins website, and the benefits check up! She was really grateful, and before we got off, I wrote the websites down for her!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Cornishpixie
    No I would be a bit worried he wouldn't thank me for interfering. After all he hasn't actually asked for my advise.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 2nd Apr 08, 7:48 AM
    • 18,099 Posts
    • 46,018 Thanks
    duchy
    I had to laugh at this as I got several emails yesterday from people on another forum thanking me for saving them several hundred dollars each as we're all at the same event in the summer and I'd found an on-line deal that reduced the hotel from $200 a night down to $89 and posted the details.
    Money is a more sensetive issue-and I would go the "if the chance to start a general conversation presented itself" route and if I judged it would be well recieved after chatting might say something-certainly wouldn't throw it in as an opening comment though.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd Apr 08, 7:57 AM
    • 16,510 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    hollydays
    No,I wouldn't offer advice here,it's being nosy.
  • Mr Rhubarb
    Anyone so insensitive as to blather on the phone in public about such matters is wasting money on mobile calls and annoying everyone else and is best ignored
  • Mr Rhubarb
    THese people are too annoying for words!
    Anyone so insensitive as to blather on the phone in public about such matters is wasting money on mobile calls and annoying everyone else and is best ignored and allowed to waste his money
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 2nd Apr 08, 9:06 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    In the circumstances described I (being typically British) would pretend I could not hear what he was saying - how else would we manage to live in semi-detatched and terraced houses without 'selective deafness' to supply privacy?

If it was possible later on to make general conversation, then steer it round to more appropriate topics, well that would be different! Whether he would be prepared to accept advice from a stranger is quite another matter.
  • CheapSkate
    The banks need to make money somehow and I'd rather they fleeced people like that - people who talk loudly into their phone on the train - than moneysavers like us!

Also, the ability to not butt into other people's conversations is one of the few things that separates us from animals.
    • Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 2nd Apr 08, 9:21 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    The banks need to make money somehow and I'd rather they fleeced people like that - people who talk loudly into their phone on the train - than moneysavers like us!
    Originally posted by CheapSkate
    People with this attitude are selfish.

Also, the ability to not butt into other people's conversations is one of the few things that separates us from animals.
    Originally posted by CheapSkate
    How could some people understand what animals say to each other and conclude they "butt into" other animals' conversations?!! It must be either they have an inferior human intelligence or a superior animal brain to make such an exceptional statement. I doubt the latter.
    • new
    • By new 2nd Apr 08, 9:31 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 3,778 Thanks
    new
    I would!! I have done it before! I do it by starting talking about weather and then randomly I would say it by apologising for hearing the financial bit and suggest the current best card and I will mention MSE.com and repeat it several times and mention Martin Lewis and his program and appearances on tv. I would ask him to visit the website and work his finances through the icons on the top of the homepage and they very likely to save 20-25% of their normal spending and I will tell him if I get one pence back from each pound I spend, then this will make payrise 1% more than what it should be!! I will say it is not about cutting back, it is about getting the same product, but cheaper. I will mention the forum as well. I will market the website by saying it is, not like other websites, unbiased whatsoever. I would suggest, if they seem they don't have time to check the whole thing out, to subscribe to the weekly email ( another way to get them hooked!!)

I know I am sad ( and a devotee of the new moneysaving religion! )

Thunderbird
    Originally posted by Thunderbird
    heehee ...we are on a mission! too bad if the useful advice falls on deaf ears, but we can only try! MSE RULES OK!
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 2nd Apr 08, 9:32 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    People with this attitude are selfish.
    Originally posted by Thunderbird
    So are people that talk loudly on the train. If someone is not seeking advice, then I don't believe it should be given.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

53Posts Today

3,240Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin