Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maddie
    • By Maddie 16th Aug 05, 1:00 PM
    • 853Posts
    • 1,111Thanks
    Maddie
    Repairing bras (wire poking through)
    • 16th Aug 05, 1:00 PM
    Repairing bras (wire poking through) 16th Aug 05 at 1:00 PM
    Does anybody know how to repair bras when the wire has poked through?

This seems to happen quite a lot with my bras (even through I have been properly fitted for the right size and I always hand wash them). I have tried sowing up the holes but they always seem to poke back through (very painful!)

The only way I can see it working is if you can buy some of the felt type stuff and patch it up, do they sell this anywhere?

Thanks for any advice,
    Maddie
Page 2
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 28th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 15,627 Thanks
    greentiger
    you can get repair kit on ebay. I've used it; it can be fiddly but it does work.
    Stashbusting 74
    Reading Challenge 18/26
    Film Challenge 13/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    Weight Loss 1 2.2/9
    Weight Loss 2 3.0/9
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 28th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    I think myself and most of the men on here know a way to stop this happening, but in order to confirm my diagnosis we would need photographs with ... er well ... the bra fully loaded.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 28th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 7,819 Posts
    • 23,025 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Me, I use micro-bore beer pipe or teflon tubing (I got a metre off ebay & there's still a length left). It isn't the Angel & it needs to be either darn slender &/or deftly tacked into place but it helps keep the blighted wire covered & being either transparent or white, is usually reasonably innocuous to wear.

A colleague who works in a prison is not allowed underwired garments - and there are days I think she has the easier option.

ETA is it just me who finds the whole process of repairing bras just a little bit soul destroying? Yet chuck & buy new most months just is not an option, and I frankly shudder to speculate what Grandma's Make Do & Mend policy might extend to. There was a war on, after all...
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 28-10-2016 at 8:58 PM.
    • lljwagg
    • By lljwagg 8th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lljwagg
    OK, I have the definitive, improved, better finished and more permanent fix. Through trial and error I've discovered that if you remove about an inch of the offending wire using bolt cutters (trust me the missing inch is not going to be missed AND as a bonus it won't poke out again as it's no longer sawing away at the seams) - then get some SUGRU or a similar waterproof moulding and hardening material to make a covered end in the same shape as the one that's been removed. Wait 24 hours for the Sugru (or other hardening material) to set then push the wire back in easily and stitch up the hole. Voila! One permanently repaired bar wire. It works, I've done it 3 times. Bras have been through the wash without a problem. No more nagging digging at the armpits or threatening to pop out inappropriately. No bras being thrown away in frustration. Bolt cutters will be your best friend. Get a good pair cheaply from Screwfix or on offer at Wickes. It may seem like quite an outlay initially, but the gear will pay for itself in saved bras. Thank me later - lol!
    Last edited by lljwagg; 14-01-2018 at 9:58 PM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 16,262 Posts
    • 71,220 Thanks
    Judi
    Ive never wore a bra out i always have to throw them away as the wire always pokes out given time. Ive tried sewing them back up but they always pop back out again. I'm a D cup but a DD is too big for me so it cant be the size being wrong.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    I think I've only ever had one bra with the wire popping out, but I do wash mine in a laundry net which I think makes all the difference, as well as having the advantage of not turning the load into a complete tangle.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I think myself and most of the men on here know a way to stop this happening, but in order to confirm my diagnosis we would need photographs with ... er well ... the bra fully loaded.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    I am convinced that underwires were created for the benefit of giving men an eyeful. They are not just uncomfortable, they are downright dangerous.

There are plenty of supportive bras out there that aren't medieval torture devices.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jan 18, 7:20 AM
    • 20,189 Posts
    • 54,185 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I am convinced that underwires were created for the benefit of giving men an eyeful. They are not just uncomfortable, they are downright dangerous.

There are plenty of supportive bras out there that aren't medieval torture devices.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I've worn underwired bras for over 45 years and don't find them uncomfortable at all.
    But I do wear the right size.
    And I don't buy cheap - I wouldn't buy from Primark.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 9th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 3,263 Thanks
    Rosemary7391

Since I started getting the right size of underwired bra I find them much more comfortable, especially if I'm doing anything a bit active. I really need the extra support for day to day stuff - my sports bra isn't underwired, but is too restrictive to wear all day. Most of mine don't actually have wires in though - they have plastic boning. I've had a couple come out before the fabric was dead, and they're both less painful and easier to sew back in.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 16,262 Posts
    • 71,220 Thanks
    Judi

Probably but i dont wear them for male attention, i wear them because i prefer them.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I agree that part of its about the fit, but also its related to size. I think anyone a C-cup plus might struggle to find underwires comfortable.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jan 18, 3:25 PM
    • 20,189 Posts
    • 54,185 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I agree that part of its about the fit, but also its related to size. I think anyone a C-cup plus might struggle to find underwires comfortable.
    I'm considerably more than a 'C' cup and as I said earlier:
    I've worn underwired bras for over 45 years and don't find them uncomfortable at all.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 9th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 10,662 Thanks
    KxMx
    I'm a DD cup and found them terrible at first, think I decided at 16 to make the change.

But I soon got used to them and find them very comfortable now at 30.
    Last edited by KxMx; 09-01-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    I'm a g cup and dread to think what I'd look like without the support of under wires! ! !
    If fitted properly they are very comfortable, definitely more than going without!!!
    With regard to wires I've only had it happen twice, in 40 years, I sewed a scrap of fabric over.
    Taking back to the shop is only doable within reason. After all someone whose worn the bra constantly for x months can't state it was unfit for purpose. As by that time the elastic will be stretching with constant washing and wearing.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 7,119 Posts
    • 49,603 Thanks
    kerri gt
    But I do wear the right size.
    And I don't buy cheap - I wouldn't buy from Primark.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Many bras both cheap and expensive are made using exactly the same methods / machinery / moulds in exactly the same factories.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 20,189 Posts
    • 54,185 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Many bras both cheap and expensive are made using exactly the same methods / machinery / moulds in exactly the same factories.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Well, I've tried all combinations of back sizes and cup sizes in various styles of Primark bras and none of them fit anywhere near well.
    Maybe it's down to me and the size/shape of my bust.
    But it still means I won't buy cheap bras from Primark.
    • Nagme
    • By Nagme 10th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Nagme
    I've stopped buying underwired bras since I seem to never be fitted properly. I actually now have a lipoma one side (A fatty lump), which I sometimes wonder is linked to badly fitted bras.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter