Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 1st Nov 03, 6:54 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Great Free Text Messages Hunt
    • 1st Nov 03, 6:54 PM
    The Great Free Text Messages Hunt 1st Nov 03 at 6:54 PM
    There are a number of websites offering free text messages to UK Mobiles off the internet.

My current favourite is

http://www.cbfsms.com which offers unlimited free texts without the need to register

Please reply to this message to report other free texting services, and details of what is providered.

More on texting from the Intenet

Of course you lose the flexibility of being able to text on the move, yet for texting from home itís a very useful system. Be prepared to have a line of advertising attached to the end of your message though.

A couple of tips for sending texts from the internet.
    Always sign your name. The messages donít come from your phone, so the number doesnít appear on the message. Let people know it is you who sent them.
    People cannot immediately reply. As your number doesnít appear, it isnít possible for people to simply reply and send a message back to you.

Queueing. Sometimes messages via the internet take longer as they need to be queued. On very bad days this can take hours.
Page 1
    • circuit
    • By circuit 1st Nov 03, 8:54 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    circuit
    • 1st Nov 03, 8:54 PM
    Re: The Great Free Text Messages Hunt
    • 1st Nov 03, 8:54 PM
    o2 online give 30 free messages a month from their web interface. I signed up when I ordered some 99p SIMs but was able to access the rest of My o2 including the text message area - even though I had an Orange phone number.
    • monomer
    • By monomer 2nd Nov 03, 5:43 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    monomer
    • 2nd Nov 03, 5:43 PM
    • 2nd Nov 03, 5:43 PM
    Nothing much to add personally, but thought that it might be useful to list a couple of links to other threads that have also touched on this subject:

Thread started by Alice_B:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Free;action=display;num=1064839457

Thread started by ccluedo (Thread on International text from your computer mentioned by Martin above - also works for texts to the UK too):

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1067541616
  • Ricky
    • 3rd Nov 03, 4:25 PM
    • 3rd Nov 03, 4:25 PM
    If you have an Orange phone & register for Orange E-mail, then you can send 30 free text messages per month over the internet, to your friends' & families' phones!!
    Ricky
  • archived user
    • 3rd Nov 03, 5:00 PM
    • 3rd Nov 03, 5:00 PM
    I use and have been using free online SMS (text message) sending services for years - here's a few I use to help you along.

www.o2.co.uk - as previously said 30 free a month - pretty reliable and easy to use
    www.118.com - 10 free a day - very useful, I find that's enough for most days and then I have a new lot the next day !
    www.fonetastic.com - 5 free a day - a bit more confusing and it works by making you choose a website as an ad link to then send off your text message so you do sometimes end up with lots of browsers and pop ups open.
    www.boltblue.com - 5 free a day - reliable
    www.lycos.co.uk - not sure how many a day.

and lots more....

This link is good for finding free SMS providers
    http://www.freebielist.com/phone.htm

I hope this helps anyone who is looking !
    Thanks
    Lorna ;D
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 3rd Nov 03, 8:41 PM
    • 22,714 Posts
    • 11,290 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 3rd Nov 03, 8:41 PM
    • 3rd Nov 03, 8:41 PM
    If you have an Orange phone & register for Orange E-mail, then you can send 30 free text messages per month over the internet, to your friends' & families' phones!!
    ============================

Do you have a link for this?
    I've looked on the orange web site but can't see anything about the free texts.

Thanks
  • archived user
    • 3rd Nov 03, 9:50 PM
    • 3rd Nov 03, 9:50 PM
    I use Orange for texing all the time with no problems
    and its free
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 4th Nov 03, 10:59 AM
    • 22,714 Posts
    • 11,290 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 4th Nov 03, 10:59 AM
    • 4th Nov 03, 10:59 AM
    Just remebered.
    I'm on the Orange Value Plan and pay on the Virgin Tarriff so I probably can't get the free texts.
  • pakman
    • 4th Nov 03, 1:17 PM
    • 4th Nov 03, 1:17 PM
    Hey !lisyloo

www.orange.net/services

U'll have to register UR fone on the site.

Can send txt 2 any UK phone.

(sometimes it says 'not sent' - although it has gone)

Pak

N.B Being a Virgin will not prevent U from using this site :P
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 4th Nov 03, 1:41 PM
    • 22,714 Posts
    • 11,290 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Thanks for the info
  • uungy
    another way to send free sms

http://www.clickatell.com/central/messenger/messenger_display.php?sku=20010706103425&proto col=1

no registering required
  • Kelly
    u can send 5 free msgs a day on www.virginstudent.com ... u have to register ur phone and all that malarky, but 5 is better than none, and iīve never had any problems with it!
  • archived user
    I was very pleased to read that I could save on text messaging by using 118 888 - so I 'gave it a go' - it worked - excellent - but ................ Two days later, the website was closed down. Where do we go from here? Any other bright ideas please? ???
    • monomer
    • By monomer 11th Nov 03, 6:15 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    monomer
    This is not a new site to send txts from, but if you use O[sub]2[/sub]'s free txt system but aren't too happy about its interface, there's a windows program called egenie that you can use. It utilises your O[sub]2[/sub] quota to send txts, so you need an account with O[sub]2[/sub] first:

http://egenie.wibble.org.uk/

I've not had a go at it yet, so can't report on how good it is. As always, before you use anything you download, run it through a good up-to-date antivirus program first. I'm sure everyone knew that already
  • archived user
    SPAM?
    Hi folks

I get junk SMSs to my phone, and am concerned that giving my mates tel numbers via web site may well get them SPAMED, which as we all know is not good :-[ .....

Ideas?

Thanks hey!

merlin
  • archived user
    You can send 10 free SMSs a week by signing up at http://www.1rstwap.com/partners/go.to/1rstwap.

Benfits of this one are you can 'flash-it' so that the text message comes straight up on the screen of your friends phone. Also the message actually appears to come from your mobile number so people can reply to your phone.
    • europa
    • By europa 30th Jan 04, 12:27 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    europa
    Now that 1rstwap.com has revamped its website, one is no longer able to send more than a couple of free sms per week. Anyone know of another INTERNATIONAL free sms service that compares to the service and reliabilty of the old 1rstwap.com?

Cheers, Rik
  • agent007
    Re: SPAM?
    I get junk SMSs to my phone, and am concerned that giving my mates tel numbers via web site may well get them SPAMED, which as we all know is not good
    This is also of great concern to me. Does anyone recommending these services have information on whether or not such spamming has ever resulted?

Because of this concern, the only (free) one I've tried is the Lycos one. Not recommended - very unreliable with only about 50% of messages actually arriving.
  • archived user
    I use ICQLite which has a built in SMS facility to send my texts. I've used it a number of times and had no spam from them. I've even sent texts to Australia and had no problems. I'm not sure if there is a limit to the number of texts you can send though, I've not seen anything saying so.
    • europa
    • By europa 2nd Feb 04, 7:23 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    europa
    Whenever I have tried to use ICQLite to send sms, it has never worked!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,640Posts Today

4,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin