Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 25th Mar 08, 12:26 PM
    • 9,258Posts
    • 22,115Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Money Moral Dilemma: You broke it, would you pay to fix it?
    • 25th Mar 08, 12:26 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: You broke it, would you pay to fix it? 25th Mar 08 at 12:26 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

MMD: You broke it, would you pay to fix it?

You’re just bought a cup of hot coffee in McDonalds. As you get back to your seat, you trip over your own bag, which you’d left on the floor. The coffee flys right over the person next to you, they’re unhurt but drenched; worse still they were there using the wireless internet on a laptop. The laptops soaked, the screen flitters and dies and the computer is now kaput. What would you do? Enter the money moral maze. You broke it, would you pay to fix it?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Wayne protect his finances from Coleen?
    Should Howard & Marion replace Richie's Tenner?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
  • whitesofmyeyes
    • 25th Mar 08, 4:49 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 4:49 PM
    I couldn't afford it but if it was my fault I guess it is my responsability to pay to have it fixed /buy a new one.
    I would ask myself how I would feel if someone had done that to me.

Anyway it couldn't happen to me as wouldn't eat in McDonalds and don't own a laptop
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 25th Mar 08, 9:24 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 25th Mar 08, 9:24 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 9:24 PM
    Just bought my first car and returned to find a man there waiting to apologise for accidentally breaking my headlight. Drove with me to nearest garage and paid for repairs.Yes I would pay for the laptop. Do unto others etc.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 25th Mar 08, 9:29 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 25th Mar 08, 9:29 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 9:29 PM
    I would offer to make a contribution to get it repaired or towards a new one. I wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a new one. Never go near McDonalds and I certainly wouldn't take a laptop anywhere near the place either.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 25th Mar 08, 9:30 PM
    • 22,975 Posts
    • 57,594 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 25th Mar 08, 9:30 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 9:30 PM
    I'd be praying that they can claim for accidental damage on their contents insurance, and I'd offer to pay the excess.
  • fablad75
    • 25th Mar 08, 10:11 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 10:11 PM
    Not that big a dilemma really - you obviously wouldn't WANT to pay, but there's just no way out of it. If somebody did it to you, you'd be expecting compensation.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 25th Mar 08, 10:55 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    • 25th Mar 08, 10:55 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 10:55 PM
    Anyway it couldn't happen to me as wouldn't eat in McDonalds and don't own a laptop
    Originally posted by whitesofmyeyes
    They sell coffee in other places as well, you know

• moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 25th Mar 08, 11:10 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    • 25th Mar 08, 11:10 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 11:10 PM
    i wouldn't be able to afford it, would say sorry and leave
    Married 09/09/09
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 25th Mar 08, 11:22 PM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    • 25th Mar 08, 11:22 PM
    • 25th Mar 08, 11:22 PM
    I wouldn't be so silly as to leave my bag on the floor unattended, next to a stranger, while I buy a drink at the counter

Joking aside, I don't know what I'd do. I'd feel awful, but it would have been an accident and there would be no way I could afford to replace a laptop.

I'd hope, like tigster said, they would have the laptop insured so would be able to make a claim for accidental damage.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
    • teeb
    • By teeb 25th Mar 08, 11:53 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    teeb
    Sue McDonalds!

I joke
    • Sooler
    • By Sooler 26th Mar 08, 12:30 AM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Sooler
    You broke it, would you pay to fix it?
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Absolutely not, they chose to use their laptop in a shop where people go to buy hot coffee so they accept the associated risks of doing so. Such risks of someone tripping and spilling hot coffee.

They'd have to take it up with McDonalds as they supplied the wireless internet connection so they invited the person to use their laptop. I'd suspect McDonalds would have use at your own risk clause.

If you accepted responsibility for repaitring the laptop where would it end, they'd want you to pay for the lost data - don't go there - nip it in the bud. NO.
  • sohurt
    I can't beleive some people are saying they wouldn't pay?!

If you were sitting minding your own business at traffic lights and someone smashed into your car, you would expect them to pay.

If you left your car in a supermarket carpark and witnessed someone scraping it, you would want that someone to pay.

Likewise, if someone spilt a drink on your new suede coat or whatever, you would expect them to pay for drycleaning (which was actually a thread on here somewhere).

I would be absolutely livid if someone spilt coffee all over my laptop then said sorry and walked away - they would have no hair left on their scalp I can tell you that much! lol
  • janey_uk
    This is a really tricky one, as accidents do happen, and it is not your decision for someone to bring potentially £1000+ worth of equipment into a restaurant.

Ultimately I think you should have insurance if you want to take such expensive things out and about. The regular person in the street shouldn't have to budget for insuring other people's fancy expensive items!

If the shoe were on the other foot, I don't think I would be able to live with myself forcing someone with little money (or kids to support etc) to replace my expensive toy that I chose not to insure.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 26th Mar 08, 7:01 AM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I'm sat in Cafe Nero, browsing the MSE site on my laptop.. suddenly, a clumsy fool trips and throws coffee over my fancy laptop.. who's responsibility is it? it's either a) the person who tripped or b) the person who left an item out that tripped someone up. Since in this moral question, the person in parts a and b are both the same, they've got full responsibility for the accident.

Let's swap this situation around a bit, and put a baby's pram in the place of the laptop. How many of you would do a runner now? Is it partially my fault because i brought a child into a coffee shop, or yours for being a clumsy oaf?
    • toadhall
    • By toadhall 26th Mar 08, 7:24 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    toadhall
    i would pay but might have to do installments, anyway if the person has a laptop surely thye have insurance
    • kingkano
    • By kingkano 26th Mar 08, 7:45 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    kingkano
    Absolutely not, they chose to use their laptop in a shop where people go to buy hot coffee so they accept the associated risks of doing so. Such risks of someone tripping and spilling hot coffee.

They'd have to take it up with McDonalds as they supplied the wireless internet connection so they invited the person to use their laptop. I'd suspect McDonalds would have use at your own risk clause.

If you accepted responsibility for repaitring the laptop where would it end, they'd want you to pay for the lost data - don't go there - nip it in the bud. NO.
    Originally posted by Sooler
    What a ridiculous statement. By that token if I run you down while your crossing the road I could say - what are you doing crossing the road where you know there are fast dangerous cars. There was a risk of you being run over and you chose to cross anyway so accepting that risk. By your statement I get off scott free and you should instead sue the council who didnt fence the road off???

Unfortunately we live in a society were I think alot of people would just run off, maybe not even apologising, as you dry yourself off. Let alone the laptop. People just (mostly) don't care anymore

If it were me I would of course pay. Through gritted teeth lol. Cursing my bad luck. But what goes around comes around eh.
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 26th Mar 08, 7:48 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    Pay - it is your fault, and stupidity for leaving a bag on the floor.
  • RabbitMad
    Why should somebody have to claim on their insurance if they have it and have all future premiums increased?

Even if they did wouldn't the insurance company try to reclaim the money of the clumsy fool who spilt the coffee.

If I was the clumsy fool I would accept responsibilty and weigh up the cost of claiming on my insurance or paying myself.
  • NafUk
    The people who say the computer owner should or would have insurance are just passing the buck and asking the rest of us to pay for their mistake in the form of higher insurance premiums. Why should someone take out insurance to cover the cost of other peoples clumsiness and/or stupidity.

If a plumber or a checkout assistant overcharged you etc. and you found out at a later date, would you be happy upon confronting them with the reply, "sorry, it was just a mistake". No, you would want your money back.
  • Phantom1200
    There's a particular issue that the dilemma raises. When I was growing up accidents happened. These days, someone must be at fault and compensation is expected.

There are two points that I'd like to make.

To the user of the laptop. When using a laptop away from your home and workplace there are a number of risks you need to consider. Theft, accidents (as in this case), someone shoulder-surfing and looking at what you're doing, etc. You must consider these risks and mitigate against them. In this case you should have sufficient insurance to cover the damage to laptop. Also, it would be a good idea to have backed up the information regularly too. Anyone who fails to consider the risks adequately should accept that part of cost of rectifying a problem (such as this) lies with them.

To the person who tripped. Accept no liablity immediately. While in this case you tripped over your own bag, you could easily have slipped on a wet floor, tripped on a raised floor tile, etc. No good accepting liability for someone else's problem. If you feel you were at fault, then apologise, discuss the problem - can a repair be made? is the item insured? etc. Then offer to make a contribution. Offer no more than you can reasonably afford or enough to cover the insurance excess.

One other point. It's a good idea to get legal cover on your home insurance policy so you can get sound advice in the event that laptop man decides to resort to the courts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,599Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin