Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Petree
    • By Petree 26th Oct 04, 4:37 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 174Thanks
    Petree
    Getting red wine off walls
    • 26th Oct 04, 4:37 PM
    Getting red wine off walls 26th Oct 04 at 4:37 PM
    We had a bit of an accident in our halls of residence last night, there is now a pattern of red wine down the walls, wondered what would take it out, except scrubbing till the paint comes off?

Thanks for anyhelp,

Petree

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-07-2008 at 3:18 PM.
Page 1
  • Galtizz
    • 26th Oct 04, 5:23 PM
    Re: Getting red wine off walls
    • 26th Oct 04, 5:23 PM
    Good ole white vinegar saves the day again ;D.
  • Lillibet
    • 26th Oct 04, 5:24 PM
    If the walls are papRe: Getting red wine off walls
    • 26th Oct 04, 5:24 PM
    Hi Petree

Firstly, what on earth were you doing???!!! (OK, you don't have to tell us if you don't want to!)
    If the walls are papered then painted you may be better off just re-painting as washing down will cause the paper to flake off quite quickly. If the walls are just painted with emulsion a gentle washing down in diluted bleach water (beware of not dripping on the carpet, the bleach will take the colour out) may do the trick, try on a small area first. If it is a washable paint (again, test) then you may be able to gently scrub with one of those green scratchy pads.

Good luck

• nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 26th Oct 04, 11:21 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 26th Oct 04, 11:21 PM
    • 26th Oct 04, 11:21 PM
    Have you tried the magic stain remover, I think Flash make it?
  • Edinburghlass
    • 26th Oct 04, 11:44 PM
    • 26th Oct 04, 11:44 PM
    I would have thought sugar soap would take it off, or is it not white wine you need to throw at the red wine
    • Js_Other_Half
    • By Js_Other_Half 27th Oct 04, 6:39 PM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    Js_Other_Half
    • 27th Oct 04, 6:39 PM
    • 27th Oct 04, 6:39 PM
    I used Wine Away from http://www.lakelandlimited.com. It costs 8.95 for 360ml, but is worth every penny. I don't know if it works on hard surfaces, but did a fabulous job on my sofa and new beige wool carpet! <it was a housewarming party! :>

hth
  • marksandsparksgal
    • 3rd Jul 08, 7:54 PM
    Wine + walls = ARGH!
    • 3rd Jul 08, 7:54 PM
    Evening lovely OS board!

I'm hoping someone may have some brilliant ideas regarding the following, however, please remember I am in Berlin and we don't have the genius of stardrops over here!

I have white walls. Last night my friends came round with red wine, the bottle exploded and now there is wine up the walls!

As I'm moving out in less than a month, and quite frankly the kitchen was a state before I moved in anyway, I'm loathe to faff about going to buy paint & brushes etc.

Does anyone know any sneaky tricks to get the wine out?

x
    ...I like my coffee black, just like my metal!
    Proud member no. 15 of the asylum
    night owl thread
    ...And officially mad over Doctor Who & David Tennant!
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 3rd Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 3rd Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    • 3rd Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    A careful scrub with a mild abrasive like baking powder would be my first attempt at cleaning it if regular detergent failed.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 3rd Jul 08, 9:21 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 3rd Jul 08, 9:21 PM
    • 3rd Jul 08, 9:21 PM
    Hi marksandsparksgal,

There's an earlier thread with some suggestions so I've added your question to it to keep the ideas together.

Pink
    • Paulie'sGirl
    • By Paulie'sGirl 3rd Jul 08, 9:31 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Paulie'sGirl
    I've used kitchen spray (the kind with bleach) very successfully even on white blown vinyl wallpaper.

Hope that helps,

PGxx
  • marksandsparksgal
    Thanks for moving the thread, and I will try the vinegar suggestion tomorrow.

Thanks again!

xx
    ...I like my coffee black, just like my metal!
    Proud member no. 15 of the asylum
    night owl thread
    ...And officially mad over Doctor Who & David Tennant!
  • chattyone13
    Red Wine Remover
    Good old cheap lemonade will remove it...Saturday evening I spilt a glass of red wine on a light beige carpet...it came out easy
    • marich
    • By marich 9th Jul 08, 11:04 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    marich
    A pinch of salt
    For fabric and carpet spills mopping/dabbing (not wiping) with kitchen roll immediately is the first bit . The pour on salt , like thick , wait a while and pour more on the spots where the wine-stains are showing through , then wait some more . Vacuum up after 1/4 hour , and then repeat with another salting . Leave the next vacuum til the sober light of morning .
  • kleinebre
    I got a good amount of red splattered well onto the painted kitchen wall - it looked like a war zone. Lesson learned: don't try to push the cork into the bottle!

Two colours of paint, as well - white on the ceiling and magnolia for the wall. And as the paints are water based, scrubbing caused damage to the paint (I stopped very soon).

I touched up the damage with a small sample jar of paint. As it turns out, red wine bleaches supremely well while the paints were unaffected. Dabbing some spots with bleach-soaked kitchen paper got rid of some of the spots well, but was extremely laborious considering the amount of wine splatter I had to deal with.

Expecting a paint job, I had got a small paint roller. Moistening it with some cheap bleach and rolling it over the stains made short work of them and saved the day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,942Users online

Martin's Twitter