Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 17th Jan 08, 9:01 AM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,339Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    1p Energy Saving Bulbs
    • 17th Jan 08, 9:01 AM
    1p Energy Saving Bulbs 17th Jan 08 at 9:01 AM
    18 March 2008
    What's it about?

Tesco is currently offering energy saving bulbs for 1p each. It expects quite a stampede, so the offer's limited to four per customer. The deal includes both bayonet and screwfit bulbs, and there are several different brands available at 1p, including Tesco's own brand. These normally cost about £1.50 each, so this is a great bargain.

Where can I get them?

Bulbs are available both in store and online (there's a delivery charge for online shopping). If you're not sure where your nearest Tesco is, then use its store locator to find out.

But at that price won't they run out?

The offer was launched on 12 March it's been so popular already some people are reporting them not being available in their nearest stores. If you're making a special journey then it's worth ringing your store to check before you leave home.

P.S. This deal was originally spotted by MoneySaver Gerf below. This post was inserted so we could give you the full lowdown. Thanks for the top spot!

For more energy saving tips, read the Cheaper Gas & Electricity article.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 18-03-2008 at 6:05 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
  • Gerf
    • 12th Mar 08, 2:18 PM
    Tesco Energy Saving Lightbulbs for 1p!!!
    • 12th Mar 08, 2:18 PM
    Hello everybody!! This is my first post and I hope it will be of some use to all you bargain hunters out there!! Tesco (all stores) will be reducing the prices of some of their Energy Saving Lightbulbs to 1p tomorrow morning. This will apply to ALL Energy Saving bulbs with a green band on the packaging saying "lasts for 6 years". Usually Tesco refuses to sell any products priced at 1p as there is usually some sort of problem with the product, however we have been told that we are receiving extra shippments of the above bulbs to clear all company stock of "6 year" bulbs to comply with a new government legislation that Energy Saving bulbs must last a minimum of 10 years!! All stores have been informed about this price change, which will go live at about 5am!!! By the way this price will apply to all Tesco branded bulbs as well as General Electric, bayonet cap as well as screw cap, all shapes- as long as they are marked with the green "6 year band"!! So get out there and bag a few bargains!!!!
    Enjoy
  • super_dad
    • 12th Mar 08, 4:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 4:18 PM
    excellent!

I'll pop down tomorrow and get myself a few million of them!

cheers
    Hating Hastings Direct!
  • mellychops
    • 12th Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    Ohhhhhhh WOW guess where I'll be tomorrow morning THANK YOU
    • keith99
    • By keith99 12th Mar 08, 5:47 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    keith99
    • 12th Mar 08, 5:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 5:47 PM
    Seems odd that they are in a rush to do this when its traditional style lightbulbs being phased out first (see item below).
    However if the energy efficient ones are 1p its got to be good all round so fingers crossed that it is them.
    As for the reply by alanwarwic, was that really necessary? It reads as though the OP works for Tesco so the comments were a bit nasty.

1. The Government has proposed, as an illustrative schedule for the phase
    out of inefficient lamps, that retailers might want to follow:
    • By January 2008, cease replacing stock of all inefficient (General Lighting Service, GLS) A-shaped incandescent lamps of energy rating higher than 100W (predominantly 150W lamps).
    • By January 2009, cease selling all inefficient GLS A-shaped lamps of energy rating higher than 60W (predominantly 150W lamps, 100W lamps, plus some 75W lamps)
    • By January 2010, cease selling all GLS A-shaped lamps of efficacy of energy rating higher than 40W (predominantly 60W lamps)
    • By 31 December 2011, cease selling all remaining inefficient GLS A-shaped lamps and 60W "candle"
    Last edited by keith99; 12-03-2008 at 5:51 PM.
    • rbulph
    • By rbulph 12th Mar 08, 5:59 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    rbulph
    • 12th Mar 08, 5:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 5:59 PM
    Sounds impressive, though it would be nice to see a link to this information on the Tescos website before making a special effort to go and buy these.

super_dad if you buy a million of these, have twenty light bulb sockets in your house, and they each last six years, your stock should last you 8,000 years. Hope you stay around long enough!
  • Gerf
    • 12th Mar 08, 6:20 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 6:20 PM
    The information given in the post is based on an internal e-mail sent to all stores-whether it is just a clever "stunt" to drive trade I would not know. I did however request the price decrease labels for tomorrow already today to verify that these prices will in fact go live tomorrow-which they will with 100% certainty!!! If you pass a Tesco store tomorrow it will definately be worth to get a few.
    • Bristolfarmer
    • By Bristolfarmer 12th Mar 08, 6:36 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Bristolfarmer
    • 12th Mar 08, 6:36 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 6:36 PM
    The OP tells the truth, I work for Tesco Express and we had this down on email today! Remember it's just the 6 hour ones!! Enjoy!
    • manchestman
    • By manchestman 12th Mar 08, 8:23 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    manchestman
    • 12th Mar 08, 8:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 08, 8:23 PM
    Thanks for the heads up Gerf, and dont lose heart when just one plonker repeatedly has a go at you! You tried to be as factual as possible and whatever the facts regarding legislation, this is clearly a bargain, so thanks once again
    I have gained from advice as well as bargains here, so if I can help in any way, I am only too pleased to do so and appreciate your thanks.
  • suman_das
    Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work Gerf. Welcome to MSE.
  • kentyy
    Great bargin, thankyou for letting us know!
  • jtb2412
    Hmmmmm wonder if we'll get full clubcard points for them ..... ???!!! What are the chances ! lol
    Weight loss to date 1st 11.5lb
    • littlemissfrugal
    • By littlemissfrugal 12th Mar 08, 9:50 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    littlemissfrugal
    i work for Tesco not seen the email but did see the labels for the bulbs at 1p so yes that is the price did think to myself at the time bet they will get chucked then but if they are going to sell them they are doing something right for once but as always with Tossco believe it when it happens
    i'm living in a parallel universe
  • 1OTC
    Just returned home from shift and REMOVED all lightbulbs from sale that will be 1p.
    • nelbloke
    • By nelbloke 13th Mar 08, 2:56 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    nelbloke
    Just returned home from shift and REMOVED all lightbulbs from sale that will be 1p.
    Originally posted by 1OTC
    Do u mean u work for tesco and you had to removed them from sale?
    • Forgetful
    • By Forgetful 13th Mar 08, 3:22 AM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 9,779 Thanks
    Forgetful
    yeah wot does he mean??/
    are they not in the sale now??
  • eiluj321
    Checked Tesco website this morning and they DO have some lightbulbs priced at 1p so went to my local Tesco superstore and all bulbs were at regular price including the 6 year guarantee ones
  • billionairelizzie
    ...might be worth taking 1 though to see if it scans at a 1p, i will try but have to get the kids to school so will report back if successful but if anyone else is in store it might be worth a try
    • eslick
    • By eslick 13th Mar 08, 6:48 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    eslick
    Information on the phasing out of non energy saving light bulbs, looks like its similar to the carrier bag "tax" that was proposed yesterday of if stores dont start to do it themselves.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_070737
  • geordie_lass
    Gerf, thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking out for these now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,238Posts Today

8,697Users online

Martin's Twitter