Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Shambler
    • By Shambler 6th Mar 08, 10:12 AM
    • 742 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    Shambler
    • 6th Mar 08, 10:12 AM
    • 6th Mar 08, 10:12 AM
    Interesting, we have normal laminate flooring in our kitchen and have never had a problem with water damage.

Aquafloor looks like a good choice for the bathroom.
  • nalyo
    • 6th Mar 08, 12:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 12:26 PM
    i would advise you to save your money. its all about the joints, if I was you I would just use the aqua ones from B&Q. These worked a treat in my old kitchen. remember you still cant leave water on the floor and they are not 100!!!37; waterPROOF splash resistant etc maybe?
  • markleedsuk
    • 6th Mar 08, 5:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 5:26 PM
    no idea about the product however, the product is only as good as the installation (no matter how good the product is, if installed incorrectly you will have problems)
  • zebidee1
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:14 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:14 PM
    I appreciate the bit about installation but it's clic laminate so not a lot to go wrong I feel.

The core is pvc compared to normal laminate (which is usually mdf or similar )which is why they can make the waterproof claim.
  • Brooktop
    • 7th Mar 08, 10:36 AM
    • 7th Mar 08, 10:36 AM
    I'm with Shambler - I just had normal laminate from B&Q and washed it with a bucket/mop (with a bit of soap flakes) and never had any problems with water damage. We didn't even dry the floor after use, just left it to evaporate. As long as you wring the mop out and don't flood it with water, I don't see why you need to spend extra.
  • zebidee1
    • 7th Mar 08, 11:11 AM
    • 7th Mar 08, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for everyone's comments.

Is there anyone out there who has experience of THIS particular laminate, please?

I've researched ordinary laminate to death, lol and I would really like to know more about the pvc version now.

( I've just re-read that......I hope it doesn't come across as being cheeky as I'm greatful for all your opinions....it's just that I'm after specific info about the pvc stuff rather than laminate in general iyswim.)

• zebidee1
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:37 PM
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:37 PM
    Samples arrived this morning. Not like other laminates and not quite what I expected but looks ok I think.

The core of the board is like a series of pvc channels with hollow centres. I can see how they make the 'waterproof' claim.

Edit: Had one of the samples soaking in a basin of hand hot water for the last 2 hours and it has come out exactly the same way as it went in. Looks like it does what it says on the tin.

Last edited by zebidee1; 08-03-2008 at 2:13 PM.
  • ajtrader100
    • 13th Mar 08, 1:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 1:44 PM
    Ive seen this product many times before, its very expensive, the rubber seal on the join is supposed the increase moisture resistancy, but its still a join. A join is a weakened area in any floor. I think you will be wasting your money, if you read the T&C of the warranty it wont cover bathrooms.

Buy a better end HDF (not MDF) based laminate floor with a strong click system and you will get a better product for your money.
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 20th Jan 09, 5:11 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 13,045 Thanks
    TomsMom
    Re-opening an old thread as I'm wondering Zebedee - did you buy this in the end? Was it the AquaStep - which one? How have you found it? I'm looking for my kitchen but there wont be a washing machine in there, just a dishwasher and sink.
  • fred_234
    I know were to buy it - cheap!!
    Toms Mom, i bought mine at www.flooring.uk.com they have it at a special offer price, UK only though.
  • Toff
    I have used this stuff, its only made by two companies, both Belgian. Aquastep and Dumafloor.
    Its PVC based and so is entirely submersible, please do not confuse with normal supposedly waterproof laminate, its 40 a metre hence you wont see it at regular DIY shops when its more than most real solid woods. I have just used it at mine for the simple reason that the whole place can be done using it without any joins. Its warmer than carpet and better insulated, Quieter than normal laminate, as water resistant as vinyl so I have it in kitchen and bathroom and living room and living and dining room and I suppose technically it can even go in the garage or outside. Oh and by the way, haggle very hard I paid 27 per metre.
  • ormus
    thx for the laminated spam.
    Get some gorm.
    • less_is_more
    • By less_is_more 29th Sep 10, 8:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    less_is_more
    Waterproof Laminate
    Toff if you read this can you say where you purchased the flooring from please.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 29th Sep 10, 8:10 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    Toff hasn't been logged in since 26th August
    • loracan1
    • By loracan1 29th Sep 10, 11:01 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    loracan1
    The problem with 'waterproof' laminate is that if a leak penetrates from beyond the edge. For example, next door having a major flood, or your built-in d/w developing a minor leak - the water gets underneath and is *still* going to be a problem. I'll go so far to say it's going to be a big problem!

Most laminates are going to be water resistant if used with pva glue anyway.
  • turkey1
    Aquastep flooring
    I am thinking of purchasing this flooring, but it is the PVC part that I worry about because I am allergic to some synthetics. Has anyone who has purchased this flooring had any trouble with the smell of it.

Where did Toff purchase it for 27.
  • Shak A
    Where to buy
    Hi Toff,

I noted you bought the Aqua Step at 27/m. Was wondering where you got for this price?

Thanks

I have used this stuff, its only made by two companies, both Belgian. Aquastep and Dumafloor.
    Its PVC based and so is entirely submersible, please do not confuse with normal supposedly waterproof laminate, its 40 a metre hence you wont see it at regular DIY shops when its more than most real solid woods. I have just used it at mine for the simple reason that the whole place can be done using it without any joins. Its warmer than carpet and better insulated, Quieter than normal laminate, as water resistant as vinyl so I have it in kitchen and bathroom and living room and living and dining room and I suppose technically it can even go in the garage or outside. Oh and by the way, haggle very hard I paid 27 per metre.
    Originally posted by Toff
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,734Posts Today

8,702Users online

Martin's Twitter