Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion
    • 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion 5th Mar 08 at 11:06 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Slash The Cost Of Water Bills

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:19 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 24
    • StineRW
    • By StineRW 8th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    StineRW
    Chance to win free water saving products - reduce water bill
    Hi everyone,

I came across this competition open to anyone who lives in Sutton / Surrey / South London - chance to win some brilliant products for reducing water bills.

Calling all #Sutton residents! Has the warm weather led to more water use? Looking to start saving time, money and water?

Environmental charity HubbubUK is giving away 10 x Water Saving Goody Bags filled with amazing products such as 8litres regulated shower heads, dry shampoo, waterless car polishing kit and more.

To enter all you have to do is like this post and send an email to hollie@hubbub.org.uk.

The competition closes midnight 12th August.
    • Alan Wednesday
    • By Alan Wednesday 3rd Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Alan Wednesday
    Southend Water Action Group
    Hi Martin,
    A good article, I fail to see why a vital utility is in the hands of private business and I speak as someone who has been looking into this issue for over two years.
    Regarding savings, as a Council tenant I paid through the Council's ALMO and, for nine years, paid around £550 per annum. Now metered and the bills last full year came to £164.
    12% of the money collected with rent stays with the Council, in contravention of Water Orders and the basis of calculation is Rateable value from 1970, a basis that was never suitable or equitable. It's likely that 3000 tenants in Southend on Sea are paying more than they should.
    Ofwat will not support this and sit on the fence.
    Regarding calculators offered by the water companies, these are likely to overestimate the cost. If you go to meter, the first account will be inflated, if you then go to DD charge will be based on that inflated account.
    Reading periods are constantly bucked, if you want to stick to bi-annual (May and November) you will need to send your own reading.
    Sewerage is based on 90% of the water supplied, however in Essex the standing charge is high due to 'low population', in other words the company has insufficient infrastructure and they charge customers for that !
    This issue is a minefield, note the following :-
    Metering will become compulsory, but at present you can have a meter removed within two years of installation.
    You don't need landlords permission to have a meter installed if you have a tenancy longer than six months.
    Water has a monopoly at the mo, this will change, but that echoes gas/elec, which may not help.
    Councils, water companies and regulator have no interest in changing things regard Council tenants.
    Benefits for disabled people are not available to Council tenants without meter.
    Alan, Southend Water Action Group.
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 14th Feb 19, 1:35 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    Hello Katecooks,

We're doing a section on cutting water bills for next week's Money Tips Email as bills will be going up from 1 April, and we're looking for examples of people who have saved money by switching to a meter - do you have any sort of idea how much money you've saved per month or year?

Thanks for your time and help,

MSE Kelvin

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 14th Feb 19, 11:38 PM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 13,595 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hello Katecooks,

We're doing a section on cutting water bills for next week's Money Tips Email as bills will be going up from 1 April, and we're looking for examples of people who have saved money by switching to a meter - do you have any sort of idea how much money you've saved per month or year?

Thanks for your time and help,

MSE Kelvin
    Originally posted by MSE Kelvin

From her profile Katecooks doesnt appear to have contributed to the forum since March 2018.

The saving by getting a water meter can be more dependant on the Rateable Value(RV) of the property than the amount of water used.

I am in Severn Trent's area. Had I remained paying charges based on my RV I would have been paying £1,624pa. With two people in my house with average consumption(110 m3) includingSurface Water Drainage(SWD) charges I would be paying £392pa - actually I use a little less than average water consumption so pay about £340pa.

It is worth pointing out that the RV valuation of properties is farcial. For a start most RV valuations in England and Wales took place in 1973 for properties built before that date; or up to April 1990 for properties build after 1973. In April 1990 RV ceased to exist and water meters became mandatory for new properties.

The RV valuation is nothing to do with the value of a property or Council Tax bands. It was based on the notional rental value the property could command. Location, state of modernisation, and several other factors as well as size affected the RV. It is possible for large mansionswith grounds that were virtually derelict when last assessed to have a 'peppercorn' RV lower than a small estate semi. Who would want to rent a derelict mansion? Since the last valuation these mansions could have been completely modernised and are worth £millions but still retain their low RV for water charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,234Posts Today

7,365Users online

Martin's Twitter