Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 28th Feb 08, 8:58 PM
    • 1,719Posts
    • 2,996Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Ebay Challenge for March
    • 28th Feb 08, 8:58 PM
    Ebay Challenge for March 28th Feb 08 at 8:58 PM
    I remember this was done for several months back last year. I really need some motivation to clear out our junk room so hope this will give me the kick I need.

Who else is in?

I do have a spreadsheet that another MSE'er created during a similar challenge last year that can be used for working out your profit (now updated with new ebay fees). If you want it, drop me a PM with your email address.

Object: Make as much money as you can from stuff you no longer need/use in the house/garage/garden/shed etc.

Rules: You can sell anything you want on Ebay that you haven't purchased to sell on.
    Take off all costs, ebay fees, cost of packaging, postage and Paypal fees, what your left with is your profit.

Counted in and target and result
    Welshlassie - £380 - £45
    poorandindenial - £100 - £35
    Little Chicken - £500 - £310.22
    Buffythedebtslayer -
    Benthosboy -
    Wannabefree - whatever can get
    Pollydaydream - £100
    PENNYWISE - £200
    karenf -
    debt free me -
    pandapaws - £200 - £0
    Debtfree2015 - £400
    Lelc - whatever can get
    TurnaroundSue - £50
    Cleosmum - £100
    LilDevil - £250 - £135
    Yorkielass - £100
    onamission -
    nimbo - £100
    CBI - £250
    ikkleosu - £100
    chocolate.orange -
    loadedlaura - £100
    ANY CHANCE - £300
    Birdie 1985 - £100
    SarahNeedle1872 - £100
    Diane_239 - £200
    nevadagirl - £400 - £320.63
    JenaRose - £150 - £98.63
    Floxxie - £200
    eshkie - £100
    bloomers5 - £60
    candyblue - £150
    unixgirluk - £80
    allisonj - £200
    susielou - £150
    bigpaws23 - £100 - £155.10
    Little.Miss.Sunshine - £100
    r.mac - £100
    jayniep - £200
    mcrfan -
    sue09 - £150
    Lemon Tree £150
    Sarahx
    Sazzledazzle - £100
    larlie1983 - £75
    dobs - £30

If I've missed anyone out, sorry not intentional, just trying to keep up with adding everyone. Drop me a PM or draw my attention to it some other way.

Good luck everyone

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Welshlassie; 02-04-2008 at 9:33 PM. Reason: Added final totals
Page 1
    • poorandindenial
    • By poorandindenial 28th Feb 08, 9:01 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 5,285 Thanks
    poorandindenial
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:01 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:01 PM
    I'll have a crack at this. Not long had a big clear out but I am sure I can muster up a load of stuff to chuck on there.
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Little Chicken
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:08 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:08 PM
    Me too - i'm in to make £500...fingers crossed.
    Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=darkorchid]2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 No 195 Target £[SIZE=2]1k
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 28th Feb 08, 9:09 PM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,358 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:09 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:09 PM
    hmmmmm. i am doing the 10 pounds a day challenge, but I shall post here too, since i am fairly pants at ebay and always get my postage wrong.

I shall start Sunday, possibly slightly hungover but selling my shoes (sob Sob, so many pretty shoes that I don't wear sob)

xx
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
  • Benthosboy
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:12 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:12 PM
    Due to my present "state", as in: the wife is leaving me, how much do you need in a campervan, I've got a s**tload of stuff to get rid of. I've never done ebay before, is it hard work? It looks a lot of work setting up a Paypal account to me :confused:

Martyn.
    LBM: 12.2.08.
    Debt-free as of July '09 and determined not to go there, ever again
    DFW Nerd Club #902 Proud to have dealt with my debts.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 28th Feb 08, 9:19 PM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,358 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:19 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:19 PM
    if you use the turbo lister - which you can down load from E bay it can be fairly straightforward

Paypal is a bit od Godsend in many ways so I would do it, I think it was easy to do but I have had my account for a few years and can't remember setting it up!

the E bay site has good tutorial thingies to follow which I shall be reinvestigating - if I find anything super good I will let you know!
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • poorandindenial
    • By poorandindenial 28th Feb 08, 9:21 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 5,285 Thanks
    poorandindenial
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:21 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:21 PM
    Paypal is a pain in the bum, I'll give you that but once it is done it is done - if you see what I mean.

Also I find listing stuff a bit of a pain, it is easier if you download turbo lister as you can do templates that you use for everything and just save a new description etc - oh the only thing with turbo lister is that I couldn't work out how to do a low reserve (it kept on insisting on £50 or nowt) but that is probably my own incompetence.

My top tips are make sure you really protect your ID. Make sure you have different passwords for paypal, ebay and your email accounts; I would also use a different email for paypal and for ebay.

Right - count me in to make £100
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 29th Feb 08, 7:10 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    • 29th Feb 08, 7:10 AM
    • 29th Feb 08, 7:10 AM
    Paypal is a pain in the bum, I'll give you that but once it is done it is done - if you see what I mean.

Also I find listing stuff a bit of a pain, it is easier if you download turbo lister as you can do templates that you use for everything and just save a new description etc - oh the only thing with turbo lister is that I couldn't work out how to do a low reserve (it kept on insisting on £50 or nowt) but that is probably my own incompetence.

My top tips are make sure you really protect your ID. Make sure you have different passwords for paypal, ebay and your email accounts; I would also use a different email for paypal and for ebay.

Right - count me in to make £100
    Originally posted by poorandindenial
    You can't put a reserve on for less than £50 these days. If you want it to be lower you just need to start your auction at the price you want for it.

I agree Paypal can be a pain in the a**e but it does mean things are sorted much quicker, auction ends, people pay, you send stuff out, items aren't hanging around for at least another week while waiting for cheques to arrive and clear.
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 29th Feb 08, 7:15 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    • 29th Feb 08, 7:15 AM
    • 29th Feb 08, 7:15 AM
    Due to my present "state", as in: the wife is leaving me, how much do you need in a campervan, I've got a s**tload of stuff to get rid of. I've never done ebay before, is it hard work? It looks a lot of work setting up a Paypal account to me :confused:

Martyn.
    Originally posted by Benthosboy
    Its as hard work as you make it, the better you describe something I find you tend to get a higher price for things and less come back as people don't complain the item was misdescribed/not enough info.

My best tip would be to get yourself a set of kitchen scales and weigh everything before listing it and then plug the weight into the Royal Mail website plus a little bit for packaging costs and use that figure as a starting point for setting your postage costs. Also have a look at your local freecycle site, people always seem to be giving away packaging materials. I have loads of tissue paper, jiffy bags and bubble wrap the other day. Will keep me going for a good while. I also swear by Turbo Lister, especially now you can synchronise it to ebay and download unsold listing to amend/relist.
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 29th Feb 08, 7:17 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Not sure how much I'm likely to get for the stuff I have put to one side, but I'm going to give myself a target of £380 as this is the shortfall between our incomings and outgoings at the moment, now my DH has finished work to look after our son. Our savings are there to cover it, but don't want to dip into them too much.
    • Wannabefree
    • By Wannabefree 29th Feb 08, 7:24 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    Wannabefree
    Yeh i`ll join you in this challenge too. Not sure how much i`ll get but hey, its better than nothing!!
    AT LBM 7/1/08 (£24,018.09)- 25/09/11 (£13,032.25) - 26.04.15 - £6,429.70
    LLOYDS TSB CARD £1,168.56 Loan 1LLOYDS TSB £5,261.14
    Heading in the right direction!
    Its taking so long......
  • Pollydaydream
    Morning everyone.

Can I join too please? I have been selling a few things on ebay and amazon, but have been putting things off a bit. I want to do this more to finish clearing things out and get organised than anything else - so this will be "sell it" month.

I've already sold the best things, so I think I'll just aim at £100 and see what I can get for the "treasure" I've got left.

One question, can I count Amazon sellings as well - I tend to put books and dvds on there, just because it's easier to list. Also, I've seen other people are using Play.com, so thought I might give that a go (if I can find anything to sell that someone might want!).

Polly
  • PENNYWISE
    Count me in! I'm gonna aim for £200

Thanks for this, I need some motivation to do some ebaying - got so much tatt to get rid of it's untrue. I just hate the hassle of listing clothes.

Good luck everyone
  • Little Chicken
    Took a load of photos yesterday - will list some stuff over the weekend. GOOD LUCK evry1.
    Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=darkorchid]2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 No 195 Target £[SIZE=2]1k
  • karenf
    Me too!
    Been meaning to photograph lots of stuff but kept putting it off...this will be the kick up the bum to do it now!
    Thank you x
  • IWantToBeFree
    I don't think I have anything left to ebay, anything that isn't fixed to the floors or walls in my house tends to find its way on there!

When we move into our new house, the seller is leaving everything in there as he is going abroad, so I am going to have a field day getting rid of all his tat!
  • debt free me
    Hi

I am in! I cleared most of my room out a couple of weekends ago and it is all sitting in one of my wardrobes so this will hopefully give me the motivation to list some things as I don't want to end up with £0 at the end of the month lol.
    • pandapaws
    • By pandapaws 29th Feb 08, 12:27 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    pandapaws
    I'd love to join as I need motivation to get my finger out and get listing, but "Rules: You can sell anything you want on Ebay that you haven't purchased to sell on." - I've got a garage full of stock that I bought to put in my Ebay shop and haven't managed to get listed yet, so that rules me out!!! I've got a pile of personal junk to try and shift though, so I'll half-join if I may!

Noticed a few people mentioning that they were just starting out. It might not help, and others might not agree with my opinions but here are a few tips from someone who's run a business on Ebay for several years to those who are just starting:
    • You NEED to accept Paypal, or you'll get very few bids - it isn't too complicated and once you've set it up that's it for life.
    • Keep the P&P charges reasonable rather than trying to squeeze a few extra quid out of bidders - set it too high and they just won't bid! Don't waste time & money on recorded delivery - it means nothing, and a proof of posting that you get from the post office does exactly the same job if an item gets lost in transit (BUT see posts on the next page regarding Paypal claims - remember this is just my personal opinion!)
    • Don't bother with reserves - in most cases, people just won't bid if there's one on the auction. If in doubt, just set your start price at the lowest you'd accept.
    • Your title is the most important thing in your listing, so instead of 'Blue shirt', call your listing something like 'Monsoon navy blue floral shirt/blouse/top, M/12-14, As new' (again, see posts on P3 (thanks Jesarose!) - apprently adding 'as new' can sometimes be seen by Ebay as keyword spamming, which isn't allowed. Make sure all words in your title are relevant, accurate and spelt properly!!). Think what you'd type into the search box if you were looking for that item and get as many of those words in as you can!
    • A lot of people swear by Turbo Lister. I hated it as there didn't seem to be any read advantage. I use Auctiva, which isn't perfect, BUT saves a fortune on photo fees. Take a look at www.auctiva.com. It's free and once you've got the hang of it, it saves loads of time and money. They've got a few fairly decent tutorials on the site to help you through it.
    • Get as many good clear photos on your listing as you can, and provide plenty of info on sizes, colour, condition etc. Don't clutter up your description page with too much in the way of T&Cs as they detract from the important bits. Put them on a 'ME' page if you need them.
    • Try and get a bit of feedback before you start listing valuable items or those that are more likely to be prone to fraud - very few people will bid on a mobile phone/gift vouchers/games consoles from zero or low feedback buyers. Save these things till you've got a much higher score, and start off with little things like 2nd hand clothes, baby stuff, used books etc that are clearly not nicked/fake/non-existent!
    • ALWAYS add a link to 'see my other auctions' and if there's anything particularly relevant that you're selling, mention it briefly along with 'discounted P&P for multiple purchases' or similar. There's a button on the Ebay description page that you can use to auto-insert the link if you're not too hot on HTML!
    Sorry for teaching granny to suck eggs and for sticking my nose in where it's not necessarily wanted, but it never fails to amaze me how many people start out with no idea of the basics. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by pandapaws; 01-03-2008 at 2:37 PM.
  • DebtFree2015
    Me Too !!
    Hi count us in too!! I have loads of stuff to flog!! SO far this year we have sold £400 so I
    We'll try and match it in March too )

Good Luck All
    Debts at LBM -November 2006 - £81,582.34
    Debts Current - £24,000.00
    DFD - Was January 2015, Then - January 2014
    DFD - Now - October 2013
    Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts
  • Lelc
    I'll join this one too. I've never ebay'd anything before but I have friends and family who have done so hopefully they'll keep me right. I'm not sure that I'll make that much so I'll be happy with any profit.

LC
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - DFW Nerd 323
    Debt free date - January 2012
    Mortgage free date - November 2013
    Cross stitch cafe challenge member no 16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

9,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin